✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your first sentence.

The Bible does not promise happiness nor health to the Christian. Look a Job who suffered, Paul who suffered with the thorn in the flesh, the woman who bleed for 12 years, and more.

Happiness is not a Christian promise. Joy is. But those are two different things. Happiness is fleeting, based on circumstance, and cannot compare to the joy of the Lord. Jesus Christ, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross.

Hi Plain Jayne,

It's true that the happiness of many is "fleeting and based on circumstances," but there's also a Biblical happiness:

"Happy is the man that findeth wisdom... and happy is everyone that retaineth her." {Proverbs 3:13, 18}

True happiness is found in God's ways; and that's in no way connected to the prosperity gospel--which is truly a false gospel.

As for the Bible promising health to the Christian:

“If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the LORD your God will… keep you free from all sickness.” {Deuteronomy 7:12, 15 NIV, NLT}

“My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body.” {Proverbs 4:20-22 NIV}

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really thought this thread would be about how more Christians are compromising with the world on a spiritual and moral level. These things are what have an impact on our eternal destiny. Can't take fat and calories, or lack thereof with you. God wants us to be healthy but he's more interested in the condition of our hearts than how comfortable our bodies are. The fact that more and more Christians are compromising more and more of their Christianity is the sad thing for me.

Actually, the world's food sustainability is severely compromised. It has been very deliberately sabotaged over a number of years, probably going back hundreds, by an agenda that was devised to starve the masses of nutrition. I would argue that very few people nowadays are actually healthy, as meaningful as they try to make their nutrition choices. There is so much confusion and misinformation out there - on purpose. And most of us are too naive to see that. But that's a whole other can of worms for another thread.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

But thanks be to God, who leads us in His triumph! He is going to resurrect us with new and incorruptible bodies for a reason! Hallelujah! :clap:

You’re right about the globalist agenda - their stated goal is to reduce global population to 500,000, down from 7 billion now - using soft kill tactics plus mass causality events where possible, like two world wars, for instance.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True happiness is found in God's ways; and that's in no way connected to the prosperity gospel--which is truly a false gospel.

Jesus taught this about prosperity:

Mar 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

Mar 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

My my, He promised a hundredfold increase in houses and lands in this life, and in the world to come, eternal life.

Shocking!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christians should be the HEALTHIEST & HAPPIEST people in the WORLD....But sadly that isn't the case. Everyone knows that carrying extra pounds doesn't make one HEALTHY or HAPPY...yet Christians carry alot more extra pounds than those who don't claim to be Christians.

This is REALLY a STUNNING article...at least it should be!

Why is it that Christians are much more overweight than Jews or those in Eastern Religions? Probably because so many Christians have fallen for the false teaching that it doesn't matter what you eat, just ask for God's blessing over it and somehow He will turn unhealthy food into healthy food. Well, if we are honest, we'll have to admit that just isn't happening.

The part that is the most SHOCKING to me is that it's the CLERGY, the Pastors and Ministers, who are the MOST OBESE! Shouldn't they be the ones who give the BEST REPRESENTATION of Health & Happiness? To me, this speaks loudly that there is very little SELF-CONTROL amongst the CLERGY.

Have you noticed how there seems to be an almost epidemic amongst CLERGY when it comes to sexual sin? The SAME LACK of Self-Control in APPETITE carries over into SEX.

Christians should be the LEADERS, the EXAMPLES of Health & Happiness, and ESPECIALLY the CLERGY!

Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian! God looks on the heart. Man looks on the outward appearance.

Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

“If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the LORD your God will… keep you free from all sickness.” {Deuteronomy 7:12, 15 NIV, NLT}

So....Christians don't get cancer or have miscarriages?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Philippians 3:9 NIV
and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.

Mark 10:25 NIV
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

I believe that the wealthiest people are those who have God given faith rather than those with huge bank accounts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No Plain Jayne, that isn't correct...there are times when bad things happen to Christians, too....sometimes children INHERIT health problems from their parents and grandparents...sometimes there appears to be no "reason" as to why someone is sick....but MORE OFTEN, if we look closely, we would see that if we followed the health laws, "none of these diseases" would be amongst us.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Plain Jayne, that isn't correct...there are times when bad things happen to Christians, too....sometimes children INHERIT health problems from their parents and grandparents...sometimes there appears to be no "reason" as to why someone is sick....but MORE OFTEN, if we look closely, we would see that if we followed the health laws, "none of these diseases" would be amongst us.

What about Elisha, who died from a sickness, and yet whose bones resurrected a dead body of another man, many years later?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sickness is a function of physical laws just as is health. Today people accept sickness as normal, and those who seek and preach health as odd.

The girl's gym teacher in my elementary school (in the 1940's) would make a public show of flossing her teeth, no doubt hoping it would inspire others to care for their teeth better. We just thought she was weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sadly Israel didn't keep God's laws and other instructions. When Jesus began his ministry among the remnant of them they were a sorry lot badly in need of healing.

Matthew 4:23-24
23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see sickness as normal, it is a malfunction of the body. Everybody knows that pain is a warning that something is wrong. But we don't have our new resurrected bodies yet. God will take care of our health, but I do think He wants us to prioritize our spiritual health over our physical health.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I see the OPs point, but it's hard being a pastor. People are always feeding you fried food. What are you gonna do, turn it do:)wn? Or so I hear.

But really, we should be at least trying to be reasonably healthy, without being obsessed with it like many people are.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I see the OPs point, but it's hard being a pastor. People are always feeding you fried food. What are you gonna do, turn it do:)wn? Or so I hear.

But really, we should be at least trying to be reasonably healthy, without being obsessed with it like many people are.

Our culture doesn't lend itself to physical, mental, or spiritual health. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our culture doesn't lend itself to physical, mental, or spiritual health. :(

That's one reason Christians need to walk a different path.

"Beloved, I wish ABOVE ALL THINGS that thou mayest prosper AND BE IN HEALTH, even as thy soul prospereth." {3 John 2 KJV}

Clearly, our physical health is important to God.

Shouldn't it therefore be important to us?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Renniks, I'd like to encourage you as a Pastor, that your position comes with even a greater responsibility to set the right example for your followers. Instead of worrying about "offending" those who offer you things you should not eat, look at it a different way :). Look at those times as OPPORTUNITIES where you can ENLIGHTEN people to the RESPONSIBILITY they have of taking care of the body God has given them. Teach them that part of TRUE CHRISTIANITY is obeying God in EVERYTHING, including following the Health Laws He has given us.

Reactions: honestal
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OldWiseGuy said:
God has control of your heart, you have control of your body. God can do more with a healthy person than an unhealthy one.

Yes, people should take care of their bodies, but are you REALLY saying that God can only work with humans with no defects or sins?

You quoted him...compare the words. He clearly did not say that at all.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus taught this about prosperity:

Mar 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

Mar 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

My my, He promised a hundredfold increase in houses and lands in this life, and in the world to come, eternal life.

Shocking!

Well, He also promised a hundred brothers, sisters, mothers, and children. How do you suppose that is going to happen? Is my dead mother going to be revived in this life and bear me the brothers and sisters I never had before?

Clearly, Jesus is speaking of the resources of the Body of Christ that should be available to every member of the Body as we each have need. When I was a member of Calvary Chapel of Honolulu in the 90s, the pastor, Bill Stonebraker, made the statement, "No member of this church need worry about being hungry, homeless, or naked." He also said, "Every member has a resource, every member has a need."

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0