• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What a SAD Testimony So Many Christians Are Giving to the World

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by The Narrow Way, May 8, 2021.

1. SongOnTheWind

SongOnTheWind Active Member

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Please read what I wrote. I'm concerned about my soul MORE than I am concerned about my physical wealth or my health. That should not raise any concern.

2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    That brings up a conundrum; why are the poor, those least able to afford poor health...so darned unhealthy? Maybe they are poor because they are unhealthy. Hmmmm?

3. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    John seems to give great weight to health, wealth, and spirit.

3 John 1:2
    Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. That's like winning the trifecta. :)

4. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I agree completely. It's easier for us to do our best work when we feel our best. However, God can and does use people when they are not feeling their most optimal. This is not a difficult thing for Him to do. Nothing is too difficult for God. At the end of the day I'd rather be a little inconvenienced by the physical while still obtaining the spiritual, than the other way around.

Jesus does say: if your eye causes you to sin, take it out. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. Strong words to be sure, and I'd rather enter Heaven completely intact, but if not, I get a new body anyway. Win/win. Even if I lose a physical eye or hand (which I don't plan on doing!)

5. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Interesting :scratch:

Or are they unhealthy because they are poor?

Good question :)

6. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Most get enough food aid to eat a healthy diet. Must be another reason.

7. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Sorry, gonna have to agree to disagree there. But that's okay. Be blessed :)

8. The Narrow Way

The Narrow Way Master Herbalist Supporter

+236
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I think because they often make bad choices....they are uneducated in many aspects of health...they smoke, drink, do drugs, even though they are poor financially....and have no money for healthy things.

9. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    So, the poor are poor by choice?

You know what, I think the thread is getting derailed a little, lol. Would be interesting to discuss in another thread, though :)

10. Freth

Freth Seventh-day Adventist

+556
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    If our bodies are the temple of God, then indeed it is a factor in our overall spiritual well-being.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

11. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    No problem.

12. HIM

HIM Friend

+450
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I thought you were a
    Christian

13. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Absolutely. When I smoked, drank, and ruined my health in other ways (also lost my job) it was my choice to do so (however I chose not to use drugs).

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  14. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I have no arguments there. In fact, it is sin which would pollute the temple, before anything else. Jesus did tell His disciples to concentrate more on what pollutes from the inside out, rather than the outside in. He said not to be overly concerned with ceremonial washing or eating, as the Pharisees were, but more to focus on their thoughts and the issues of their hearts. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks, and this is what defiles a man.

Absolute agreement. We do need to take care of our temples, our bodies house our souls, and it's our souls that are being saved.

15. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    But that's your personal experience. Is that every single poor person's experience? Not to be argumentative, or go against what you personal have gone through, but I don't know that it's always that simple.

Could be wrong, though. I don't consider myself rich, but I know there's stuff I don't have access to, that if I had the access to, I'd be better off. But because I can't afford it, I don't have it. At the same time, I am more blessed than I deserve, and though it would be nice to be more comfortable physically, I'm so glad that by God's grace, I'm no worse than I absolutely could be if I chose not to depend on Him.

I hope you can understand what I'm saying, and the spirit in which I am saying it :)

16. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Solutions are generally quite simple. It's mustering the strength and courage to go down a better path that is often difficult.

It must be stated that the poor usually don't remain so. Today's poor are tomorrow's middle class, replaced however by a new group of poor. Poverty remains but the faces change. "The poor (as a class) are always with you.") Your material condition will likely be much different, hopefully better, in the years to come.

17. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,847
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    When I was poor, I ate cheap calories like snack cakes, french fries, potato chips, hot dogs, chicken etc. It was more a thing of ignorance than poverty. Using free sources online, I found nutrition articles to help me plan better meals. I was healed of kidney stones, lost weight and lowered my heart rate. Poverty is not a sin in and of itself. Making bad choices is an error. Some bad choices led to poverty as in the case of the prodigal son who wasted his inheritance with prostitutes (Luke 15:29-30).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Freth

Freth Seventh-day Adventist

+556
    United States
    SDA
    Single
    I don't think being poor is automatically synonymous with poor health. Malnutrition, maybe, but if your parents take the time to feed you properly, you will grow up healthy as an ox. I grew up poor and I turned out just fine—because my mother and her grandmother before her knew how to feed us healthily. Also, much thanks to our church for the knowledge of vegetarianism. A poor person can thrive on a vegetarian diet with little to no money, so that isn't an excuse in my view. Other factors are at play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. OldWiseGuy

+10,069
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I grew up poor as well, but we ate good. :) Of course we didn't have to decide between eating or paying the cell phone bill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. SongOnTheWind

+179
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Again, I'm not sure I agree that it is that simple. Either way, I'm glad you're doing better than you were. God is good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List