Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know it sounds like an odd hobby (shaving is typically thought of as a hassle or a chore), but delved into the world of wet shaving a few months back after seeing some of this guys videos:

....and found that it actually makes shaving enjoyable when you do a "proper wet shave" with the various soaps and a DE safety razor.

Anyone else into this and have some products they want to recommend?

Or am I the only weird one who's turned into a bit of a hobby? lol

Reactions: jacks

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I know it sounds like an odd hobby (shaving is typically thought of as a hassle or a chore), but delved into the world of wet shaving a few months back after seeing some of this guys videos:

....and found that it actually makes shaving enjoyable when you do a "proper wet shave" with the various soaps and a DE safety razor.

Anyone else into this and have some products they want to recommend?

Or am I the only weird one who's turned into a bit of a hobby? lol

I've been wet shaving all my life (I'm 73), I'm surprised you find it unusual. I thought everybody shaved with a razor.

I recall trying an electric shaver sometime back in my early 20s but I missed the clean feel of a wet shave. I'm not fussed about brands, although I seem to habitually buy Gillette, double bladed safety razors and foam.

OB

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes and isn't wet shaving just normal shaving? Or do use something wetter than shaving crème or jell?

In the past, as far as the regular folks go there was only "shaving" and dry shaving for those times when you ran out of creme or jell, and just decided to shave with out it. But even those times, splashing water on your face is an easy work around that is better than just straight dry shaving.

I will however note that I use the Harry's monthly razor blade club thing.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have been a wet shaving enthusiast for years, complete with mugs, brush, and double-edged safety or straight razors. Alas, when I abandoned the office for Covid, I grew a beard since it looked doubtful I would have to face anyone in the near future. The Mrs. has grown quite fond of my beard. I'm all about earning points from the Mrs. so my kit has seen little use the last few years.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​
If found either my grandfathers or grandmothers old razor in the attic years back, been using it ever since.
Always have though, wanted to by a straight razor and shave with it. Soaps i use are
Imperial Barber Products: Premium Men's Hair & Grooming Products

Akamai 3 in 1 BAR

Home

I always thought the big razor corporations, were selling a bunch of hogwash, when they started adding three, four and five blades to their razors.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I always thought the big razor corporations, were selling a bunch of hogwash, when they started adding three, four and five blades to their razors

Amen. Add one more blade. Tell the world. Convince them they need it. Sell a couple million more razors. Silly men.

Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been wet shaving all my life (I'm 73), I'm surprised you find it unusual. I thought everybody shaved with a razor.

I recall trying an electric shaver sometime back in my early 20s but I missed the clean feel of a wet shave. I'm not fussed about brands, although I seem to habitually buy Gillette, double bladed safety razors and foam.

OB

I grew up in the era where the Gillette Mach 3 or Schick Quatro was all the rage, and switched to an electric as the multi-blade cartridge razors gave me a lot of shave bumps.

It wasn't until I tried out the DE razors with a proper shaving soap that I made the switch back.

Now it's kind of fun to try out the different products and blade types.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​
Double Edge Razor Blades - DE Safety Razor Blades | The Razor Blade Company

I have found these blades do as good as the so called high quality name brand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ0BZVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 blades. Which i have used and still have quite a few boxes, still in stock. But i have found i get the longest service from these blades.

12-356 Personna Double Edge Blade in Dispensers - 12 Pack

I use these and have no problems. A person can also extend their blade life by, when one side gets dull, just flip the blade over and the other side is usually sharp.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Always have though, wanted to by a straight razor and shave with it.

I've been wanting to try that as well, but haven't quite been brave enough to put something that sharp (with no safety net) that close to my neck lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Always have though, wanted to by a straight razor and shave with it

I figured if Grandpa and his daddy could manage it, so could I. The idea of it is worse than the act. I found I actually ended up with fewer weepers and nicks with a straight razor than more modern razors.

Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I figured if Grandpa and his daddy could manage it, so could I. The idea of it is worse than the act. I found I actually ended up with fewer weepers and nicks with a straight razor than more modern razors.

Which one do you use?

I've seen two different styles... the true straight razors, and "shavettes" which have a similar look to a straight razor, but that still gets loaded with a disposable blade.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes and isn't wet shaving just normal shaving? Or do use something wetter than shaving crème or jell?

The hobbyists would suggest that using a cartridge razor and some Edge pro Gel isn't "legit" and that a proper "wet shave" involves using shave soap (or creme), a brush, and a DE safety razor or straight razor.

After trying the latter, it's definitely better IMO than using an aerosol can of gel and a multi-blade cartridge in terms of minimizing irritation.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been a wet shaving enthusiast for years, complete with mugs, brush, and double-edged safety or straight razors. Alas, when I abandoned the office for Covid, I grew a beard since it looked doubtful I would have to face anyone in the near future. The Mrs. has grown quite fond of my beard. I'm all about earning points from the Mrs. so my kit has seen little use the last few years.

This guy always demos some cool products as well.

I've purchased some of the soaps he's touted on his channel and haven't been disappointed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The hobbyists would suggest that using a cartridge razor and some Edge pro Gel isn't "legit" and that a proper "wet shave" involves using shave soap (or creme), a brush, and a DE safety razor or straight razor.

After trying the latter, it's definitely better IMO than using an aerosol can of gel and a multi-blade cartridge in terms of minimizing irritation.

Ah so this is like being shaved by a barber, only you do it yourself.... Well I do like being shaved by a barber. If I was a rich man, I might be inclined to keep one on retainer, or pay one handsomely, to have one visit me every morning to shave me, touch up my haircut, trim my eyebrows etc.

Yeah the hot soap, and hot towels etc. is nice.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always "wet shaved". My only advice is don't buy Harvey Brand razor blades. They are cheaper than Gillet or Schick for a reason. I've never tried the brands in the video, if I can find them I will give them a try. A good shave soap/cream can make a lot of difference if you have sensitive skin.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've been wanting to try that as well, but haven't quite been brave enough to put something that sharp (with no safety net) that close to my neck lol

If you have a good steady hand you should be ok.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ah so this is like being shaved by a barber, only you do it yourself.... Well I do like being shaved by a barber. If I was a rich man, I might be inclined to keep one on retainer, or pay one handsomely, to have one visit me every morning to shave me, touch up my haircut, trim my eyebrows etc.

Yeah the hot soap, and hot towels etc. is nice.

Barbers do they still exist. We do not have one in our small town now that the old ones have retired. Now men/boys go to the beauty shop to get hair cuts (sad).

Upvote 0