West Virginia Government Employees Fired After Investigation Into Nazi Salute

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
West Virginia Government Employees Fired After Investigation Into Nazi Salute
More than 30 cadets and staff members at a corrections academy in West Virginia have been fired after a class photo surfaced on Dec. 5 showing them making a Nazi salute.

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R) said Monday that after reviewing a report on the incident by the state's Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, he approved recommendations that those in the photo and some academy staff who knew about it be fired. All were employed by the state's Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seems unnecessarily excessive.
I dunno. I think maybe showing allegiance to a criminal regime that wrecked Europe and murdered millions of civilians might be inconsistent with reliable service to the Department of Corrections?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I dunno. I think maybe showing allegiance to a criminal regime that wrecked Europe and murdered millions of civilians might be inconsistent with reliable service to the Department of Corrections?

Maybe you didn't read the article....

"The cadets made their gesture ― known as the “Hail Hitler” salute ― beneath a sign reading “Hail Byrd.

It goes on...

"The department’s internal report said the “Byrd” referred to was the class instructor (her first name was not given by the officials). Many cadets said she encouraged them to make the Nazi salute in several photos taken at the time, according to the report. "

It goes on to explain that this is a sort of inside joke about the strictness of instructor Byrd.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone else noticed that incidents like this and worse have proliferated since Trump since Trump has been President? Is this real or is it just my perception?

It's in your imagination. They don't appear to be nazis, have any affinity for nazis, or care about nazis.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's in your imagination. They don't appear to be nazis, have any affinity for nazis, or care about nazis.

Perhaps so in this instance but what about the broader picture of incidents of racism, of anti Semitism, anti Latino, of anti Muslim, anti immigrant, of homophobia, of xenophobia and the like. To be sure these attitudes have been present, but concealed, in the past but they seem to have been enabled by some of the comments that the President has made.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
To be sure these attitudes have been present, but concealed, in the past but they seem to have been enabled by some of the comments that the President has made.

Did these students say "We're doing this because of what the president says!"?

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone else noticed that incidents like this and worse have proliferated since Trump has been President? Is this real or is it just my perception?

No, it's not just your perception. It is real, as demonstrated in this report: US neo-Nazi groups on the rise under President Donald Trump: report. In fact, he's very popular among white people like that.

Top Racists And Neo-Nazis Back Donald Trump

Neo-Nazis explain why they support Donald Trump

Trump Gives White Supremacists an Unequivocal Boost

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Has anyone else noticed that incidents like this and worse have proliferated since Trump has been President? Is this real or is it just my perception?
Yes, you are noticing them more. I think these people have always been around, but they feel more comfortable expressing themselves as they model themselves after the current president. Likewise, you have those people working their hardest to pretend this issue doesn't exist. We saw the same thing with police brutality and anti-black racism, they are major issues and they need to be addressed. Antisemitism is on the rise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you didn't read the article....

"The cadets made their gesture ― known as the “Hail Hitler” salute ― beneath a sign reading “Hail Byrd.

It goes on...

"The department’s internal report said the “Byrd” referred to was the class instructor (her first name was not given by the officials). Many cadets said she encouraged them to make the Nazi salute in several photos taken at the time, according to the report. "

It goes on to explain that this is a sort of inside joke about the strictness of instructor Byrd.
Right.

Instructor encourages cadets to make Nazi salute.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

That could describe the Soviet Union, and what of all the tears we heard about sympathizers with that regime being fired from government jobs back in the '50s?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone explain to me the connection between Trump, Nazi's and White Supremacy?

Id like to know if Trump intentionally fires them up and instigates them to behave more boldly. Perhaps this deserves its own thread, if so just let me know and ill make it in the American politics section

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That could describe the Soviet Union, and what of all the tears we heard about sympathizers with that regime being fired from government jobs back in the '50s?
And from writing jobs...and acting jobs...

Upvote 0