Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there any link between mandatory celibacy and the development of scholasticism in the West?

It seems we have a whole body of clergy that generally does not understand it's people, because they have not lived the life for a long time I believe.

Scholasticism is something I have a growing desire to distance myself from. I read an Easter Catholic writing that mentioned they don't even have the words "stain" and "merit" - they are totally foreign.

I am wondering if this thought grew due to an imbalanced clergy body, not being made of both married and celibate?

Any thoughts?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there is a necessary correlation between those two things. one of the best priests I know is Fr Basil Summer, and he was celibate even as a Lutheran pastor (and he is in his mid-90s).

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's also important to note that our Bishops are often monastics and are celibate (even if they had been married before), so I think that it would be hard to make this argument with much sincerity. I do think, however, that having kids is often an impediment to real systematic thought. I, for example, have only had two or three coherent thoughts in the last six years...

Upvote 0