Wesley's Parish Fellowship ASA Thread (7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
My Brother and Sister in Christ are up late tonight! Already a beautiful morning here in Stuttgart.

Homework's due for my online classes every morning at 2am eastern. As usual, I waited until 1:55 AM to hand my stuff in...

Now what GS's excuse is I haven't a clue ;)

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
As one who was a Roman Citizen by birth, he would have had three names. the first name is the praenomen [which was a formal name]. The second was the nomen which was the tribe one belonged to. The nomen could be one's own tribe or the tribe of one's patron. The third name was the cognomen. This would be equivalent of our first name. Paul is a Latin name. Even though he used Greek, he was still influenced by Roman/Latin.

Tarsus where he was born, had at some point patrons such as Julius Ceasar or Marc Antony. If his family got their citizenship from either of these two and thus took on the names of their patrons, then they'd pick either Gaius Julius Paulus or Marcus Antonius Paulus, or the like [if someone else had been the patron to grant citizenship]. Or, some have noticed that a local tribe in Tarsus called the Aemilius tribe had a lot of Paulus in it. So he could have had as his name L. Aemilius Paulus. The book doesn't explain the L.

The book is "Paul and his letters" by John Polhill.

If the noumen was the name of the tribe of Gaius Julius or Marcus Antoinius. Since Julius and Antoinious would have been their cognomens, would not Gaius and Marcus been their nomens. So Paul's nomen would likewise have been the same as their nomens, and his cognomen would have been Paulus. But where is the clue to his praenomen? It wouldn't be Gaius or Marcus, because these where nomens.

So, don't we have the options being ______ Gaius Paulus or ______ Marcus Paulus or perhaps even ________ and some other tribal patron's name (Julius and Anthony were not the only patrons in Tarsus) Paulus?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.