Wesley's Parish Fellowship ASA Thread (7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I got word Monday that my father had passed away. Several people spoke with him by telephone Saturday night and all report that he was fine then, but he was unusually absent from worship on Sunday morning. However a neighbor saw him sitting in his easy chair in the living room watching TV Sunday morning as he commonly does. He was found by the man delivering his lunch from Meals On Wheels on Monday slumped over in that same chair. The likelihood is that he went quickly and quietly, perhaps even in his sleep, though we will never know for sure. The coroner estimates he had probably been gone 24 hours.

We almost lost him in May of 2009. I was called to the hospital then, because he was found collapsed in his driveway. We were plainly told that while they might get him stable enough to eventually get out of ICU, it was unlikely he would live to be dismissed from the hospital itself. Even if that miracle did occur, 3 heart doctors told me that I should arrange for hospice care as he would never live to see another Christmas. Well, he saw three more. When I visited for his 86th birthday earlier this month, he still drove when we went out to dinner. And on Wednesday he attended an Ash Wednesday service to hear for the last time the words, "you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

Today he celebrates Easter like I can only dream about. But that doesn't keep me from missing him.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I got word Monday that my father had passed away. Several people spoke with him by telephone Saturday night and all report that he was fine then, but he was unusually absent from worship on Sunday morning. However a neighbor saw him sitting in his easy chair in the living room watching TV Sunday morning as he commonly does. He was found by the man delivering his lunch from Meals On Wheels on Monday slumped over in that same chair. The likelihood is that he went quickly and quietly, perhaps even in his sleep, though we will never know for sure. The coroner estimates he had probably been gone 24 hours.

We almost lost him in May of 2009. I was called to the hospital then, because he was found collapsed in his driveway. We were plainly told that while they might get him stable enough to eventually get out of ICU, it was unlikely he would live to be dismissed from the hospital itself. Even if that miracle did occur, 3 heart doctors told me that I should arrange for hospice care as he would never live to see another Christmas. Well, he saw three more. When I visited for his 86th birthday earlier this month, he still drove when we went out to dinner. And on Wednesday he attended an Ash Wednesday service to hear for the last time the words, "you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

Today he celebrates Easter like I can only dream about. But that doesn't keep me from missing him.

Ah, I feel for you. Thankfully, he surpassed all the doctors' warnings and you were able to have these extra years together.

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I’m gonna wrap my arms around my daddy’s neck
And tell him that I’ve missed him.
And tell him all about the man that I became
And hope that it pleased him
There’s so much I want to say
There’s so much I want you to know

Chorus
When I finally make it home

Then I’ll gaze upon the throne of the King
Frozen in my steps
And all the questions that I swore I would ask
Words just won’t come yet
So amazed at what I’ve seen
So much more than this old mind can hold

Chorus

Bridge
And the sweetest sound my ears have yet to hear
Voices of the angels

Chorus

Christian lyrics - FINALLY HOME LYRICS - MERCYME

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I am in my 2nd week of my 6 week online class. It is philosophy and Christian ethics. I seriously hate it. If I survive this class with a C, it'll be a miracle. I am not an analytical thinker by any stretch of the imagination. On Myers-Brigg type indicator, I am a strong feeler and not a thinker. bleh. If tonight's homework is an example of the rest of the class' work...I'm in serious trouble. I can also kiss my high A average out the door, too.

I need some serious prayer for survival. :dead: :study:

As for why does God allow suffering? cuz silly me signed up for the class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
In other news, my district interview is tomorrow morning. This is a major step for me in my journey towards ordination.

I got word today that I passed! I will receive my certificate in May when my assistant pastor is ordained.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I got word today that I passed! I will receive my certificate in May when my assistant pastor is ordained.

:clap:Congratulations:clap:

Really happy for you. You certainly deserve it :)

I've just come back from a Local Preacher's meeting and they've agreed that after my trial service I can move to being 'on trial' rather than 'on note'. This means that the circuit feels that I do have a call to preach and can now take services in my own right rather than assisting another local preacher. This is my first step really towards being in a position to eventually being able to candidate for ordination.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I've just come back from a Local Preacher's meeting and they've agreed that after my trial service I can move to being 'on trial' rather than 'on note'. This means that the circuit feels that I do have a call to preach and can now take services in my own right rather than assisting another local preacher. This is my first step really towards being in a position to eventually being able to candidate for ordination.

That sounds like my situation. With the District license [vs. the Local one that I have currently] I can do services in my own right rather than only assisting another preacher. And according to Nazarene protocal, I get to put Rev. before my name. Once I have three years of consecutive official assigned ministry, I will eligible for ordination [and have to finsh my classes this year].

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.