Wesley vs Calvin: the Grace of God

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And that makes it hard to understand why people switch back and forth between Methodist and Presbyterian as if there is no difference between Calvinism and Arminian views of salvation.
To me at least it doesn't seem to hard to understand. I think the greatest body of believers don't want to even think about these issues but just want to get people saved, strengthened in the faith and to be a positive influence in society.

Perhaps in their way of thinking you get to caught up in so many non edifying discussions it takes one off what should be their true focus of advancing the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To me at least it doesn't seem to hard to understand. I think the greatest body of believers don't want to even think about these issues but just want to get people saved, strengthened in the faith and to be a positive influence in society.
So in your view there is no real need to have Presbyterian or Methodist - it should be just "protestant" and every member believes as they wish as long as they accept some basic Gospel tenets ??

All the other Bible details are just "non-edifying discussion" that "takes one off their true focus" in your POV?

IN your view would you say that nothing in the Methodist or Presbyterian church advances the Kingdom of God other than those gospel basics? Is that in line with your POV?

A lot of the church does not believe we need to live right before God. Wesley like Paul teaches that we need to live Holy Sanctified lives before God. "Works" do not save us to live right is evidence that we are saved. We benefit when we live right before God. Of course, there is an enemy that wants to lead people astray to destroy them.
Amen!

Did Christ teach that living a sanctified Christian life matters - in Matt 5 and Matt 7?
Did Christ teach Bible truth about resurrection in John 11?

Did Christ say "God so loved the WORLD that He gave" in John 3:16 or just a preselected "Few"?

Can we say that none of those details that Christ taught - even matter - other than the fact that He died for our sins and that all are sinners?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Perhaps in their way of thinking you get to caught up in so many non edifying discussions it takes one off what should be their true focus of advancing the Kingdom of God.
I've noticed since childhood the way the different interests and focuses of Christians drives their mindsets and propensities. (And, vice versa).

Evangelists aren't very often strong on doctrine, but I thank God for them. He has his reasons for them, but my goodness! To hear them talk you would think we are members of a club whose whole charter is to bring members into the club!

Then there are those whose whole focus is to get their dry systematic doctrine right and hopefully, understood and agreed on by others; or even less, dry Bible memorization, and paralleling passages, with no personal (to all appearances) experience to drive them. No passion. I thank God for them, too!

God has all kinds of people, with different "gifts" and abilities and focuses, for God's own reasons. I love to watch it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Methodist - it should be just "protestant"
Methodist is not a Protestant Church. John Wesley was an Anglican and they are Separatists. They use the book of common prayer and support the one universal church. They believe in apostolic succession.

Methodism is a separate branch of Christianity that developed within the Church of England, and is not considered part of the Protestant tradition.

• Informative
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've noticed since childhood the way the different interests and focuses of Christians drives their mindsets and propensities. (And, vice versa).
Evangelists aren't very often strong on doctrine, but I thank God for them. He has his reasons for them, but my goodness! To hear them talk you would think we are members of a club whose whole charter is to bring members into the club!
Then there are those whose whole focus is to get their dry systematic doctrine right and hopefully, understood and agreed on by others; or even less, dry Bible memorization, and paralleling passages, with no personal (to all appearances) experience to drive them. No passion. I thank God for them, too!
God has all kinds of people, with different "gifts" and abilities and focuses, for God's own reasons. I love to watch it.
Could that be because if all had the same mind and propensities; i.e., including all in one personality, the propensities might dilute the "purity" of one another?

It seems limited human nature cannot encompass it all, particularly to the degree necessary to maintain the "purity", but they can focus on one thing to the degree necessary to do so (1 Ti 4:16) in/for the called-out assembly (ek-klesia), the church, and which is not to be confused with their practical Christian life.
And mature Christians should thrive in such a system where the "purity" of Christianity is maintained by these different gifts, abilities, focuses.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's not just about advancing the kingdom's numbers, it's also about growing the believers in truth and practice of obedience.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Honest question here. You may be right that what should be our true focus is "advancing the Kingdom of God", but where do you see this charter in Scripture? I haven't seen it at all in such a way, but several other things rather.

For example, to the mind of some we are to glorify God. To the mind of others, God glorifies himself through what we do. So does God advance the Kingdom of God, or is that our duty to see it done?

But either way, even if that is our duty, how is that to be our true focus? Aren't there many other things we are more obviously told is ours to focus on, such as to focus on Christ himself?

• Agree
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'll be the Lutheran in the back corner eating popcorn.

-CryptoLutheran

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Being inherently sinful, would not grace be necessarily first for man to even have faith in Jesus Christ,
Either way, Grace is the actual work God does in us to transform us into the people He declares us to be. People think of Grace as a credit on your account and that is not what the Grace of God is. Actually, faith is a work of God in us also. A gift and a fruit. Human faith is just positive thinking. The faith of God goes way beyond that.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So does God advance the Kingdom of God, or is that our duty to see it done?
In the beginning, we were given dominion, control, and authority. God does not take that away from us. We are joint Heirs with Christ. Genesis 1:28 "God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." All of creation awaits redemption.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am pretty sure there were doctrinal differences between Wesley and Calvin
Wesley seemed more sure of himself. Cavin seems to be asking a lot of questions. The hyper-Calvinism that people teach is not the same Calvan when you read what he wrote. Some with Paul in the Bible. What he wrote and what people say he wrote are not the same.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
In the beginning, we were given dominion, control, and authority. God does not take that away from us. We are joint Heirs with Christ. Genesis 1:28 "God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." All of creation awaits redemption.
Non-answer. I suppose you expect me to draw some implication from what you say there, but it isn't showing itself.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Either way, Grace is the actual work God does in us to transform us into the people He declares us to be. People think of Grace as a credit on your account and that is not what the Grace of God is. Actually, faith is a work of God in us also. A gift and a fruit. Human faith is just positive thinking. The faith of God goes way beyond that.
Why do you tell @Clare73 what "people think", if you're trying to undo her argument? She doesn't think Grace is a credit on your account. Matter of fact, I can tell you she also believes that salvific faith is God's work too.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you tell @Clare73 what "people think", if you're trying to undo her argument?
I am not trying to undo her argument. My opinion was that it was not relevant. That is why I said: "either say". This then becomes a mute point because it has no real effect on the outcome.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Non-answer. I suppose you expect me to draw some implication from what you say there, but it isn't showing itself.
The Bible is a complex and multi-layered text that has been studied and interpreted by scholars, theologians, and believers for centuries. Some parts of the Bible may be difficult to understand or interpret.

There are many resources available to help people understand the Bible. If you feel that I am not able to help you then maybe you could give the chatbot an opportunity. Or wiki is a good resource.

I understand you want to deflect attention from the Bible to me. But you have still failed to show that the Bible is not 100% true and accurate. The subject of attention is the Bible, not me.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So does God advance the Kingdom of God, or is that our duty to see it done?
We are co-heirs with Christ. He lived His life as an example for us to follow.

Jesus consistently glorifies the Father in the Bible, emphasizing that he has come to do the will of the Father and to serve and honor him. His focus on glorifying the Father reflects his humility and teaches us to put God first.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Can we say that none of those details that Christ taught - even matter - other than the fact that He died for our sins and that all are sinners?
What matters is that He lived His life as an example for us to follow. He was human and tempted in every way like we are, yet He lived a holy, sanctified, blameless life.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did Christ teach that living a sanctified Christian life matters - in Matt 5 and Matt 7?
Did Christ teach Bible truth about resurrection in John 11?

Did Christ say "God so loved the WORLD that He gave" in John 3:16 or just a preselected "Few"?

We can never say that the details in the Word of God do not matter.

The people of Noah's day found that out.
The people in Sodom and Gomorrah found that out.
The people in John the baptizer's day - found that out
The people at the end of the world -- will find that out 2 Thess 2:6-10

Upvote 0