The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
paulewog said:
hehe... er ... no* paulewog wonders what this has to do with ecclesiology
oh oops, I wa sthinking eschatology, sorry :)

Are you sure you didn't mean ecumenism? ;) after all since: "Tongues became a part of mainline Christianity in 1901 at Bethel Bible College in Topeka, Kansas", it has been the only thing to cross denominational lines in 1900+ years.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Amadeus

May 17, 2004
Ohio, US
✟365.00
Faith
Christian
Even though I belong to a Pentecostal church (A/G), I am still skeptical about the speaking in tongues.

I am no stranger to it, no, not at all. I hear it at my church services all the time. I have been talked to about it, read about it, heard it from countless mouths, read about it in the Bible... but nothing convinces me that what we know as 'Speaking in Tongues" is actually possible. Well, I know all things are possible through God, but I mean, do people REALLY speak in a divine language when they "Speak in Tongues"?

I have tried it myself on the basis of hearing "Anyone can do it at any time. If you're a Christian, then you can recieve the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Don't let fear and doubt inhibit you. Open your mouth and let it out!".

....It doesn't work.

There is no proof that can convince me that it is truly a divine experience from God, unless I just begin speaking in tongues without any human effort, and from what I hear, that ain't gonna happen. So pretty much, this tells me that it's all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. I had tried and sought and begged, but never have I spoken in tongues. All this is a lie. Sure, of course it takes faith to speak in tongues, because you make it all up in your head, and believe it's from the Holy Spirit. If it's all up to you to just open your mouth and utter the words, than how can you know it's real? That is just plain stupid! I want to be "Possesed" by the Holy Spirit, not left alone to hope and believe what I'm saying is really "Speaking in Tongues". If anyone can REALLY show me how I am wrong, and that it's more than a matter of the flesh, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: Flavius
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
An Orthodox priest/monk in Greece had a young French woman brought to him by some Greek friends of hers, only one of whom spoke both Greek and French. Initially, the priest had the bilingual girl interpreting but soon sent her outside and continued to speak to the French girl directly. As the other girl was witness until she too was sent outside, he spoke to her only in Greek and she responded in French. When the French girl finally came out after a long and fruitful conversation, she chided the other girls for telling her that Father Porphyrios did not speak French, since from the time that the first girl had left the room, he had spoken to her fluently in French. Father Porphyrios himself told the other girls that he heard the French girls responses as though she were speaking in Greek.

Father Porphyrios died in 1984.

John

Upvote 0

indonesianpalmtree

JC's sentinel
Mar 17, 2004
Western Cape
✟568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*chuckle*

Yep, people can speak in tongues. Don't know for sure when you do, but it does happen. That's why it's a gift, either God decides to give it or He doesn't.

There are a couple of tongues, though. From God, different human tongues, demonic...whatever.

There are languages alright, if humans can make one, why can't the ethereals? :)

God bless

Upvote 0

danceforjoy

Oct 15, 2003
North of Brisbane
Visit site
✟15,224.00
Faith
Protestant
Amadeus said:
Even though I belong to a Pentecostal church (A/G), I am still skeptical about the speaking in tongues.

I am no stranger to it, no, not at all. I hear it at my church services all the time. I have been talked to about it, read about it, heard it from countless mouths, read about it in the Bible... but nothing convinces me that what we know as 'Speaking in Tongues" is actually possible. Well, I know all things are possible through God, but I mean, do people REALLY speak in a divine language when they "Speak in Tongues"?

There is no proof that can convince me that it is truly a divine experience from God, unless I just begin speaking in tongues without any human effort, and from what I hear, that ain't gonna happen. So pretty much, this tells me that it's all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. I had tried and sought and begged, but never have I spoken in tongues. All this is a lie. Sure, of course it takes faith to speak in tongues, because you make it all up in your head, and believe it's from the Holy Spirit. If it's all up to you to just open your mouth and utter the words, than how can you know it's real? That is just plain stupid! I want to be "Possesed" by the Holy Spirit, not left alone to hope and believe what I'm saying is really "Speaking in Tongues". If anyone can REALLY show me how I am wrong, and that it's more than a matter of the flesh, I would greatly appreciate it.

@@Paul@@ tries to tell us that it was cross denominational way back 1900= years ago.
Acts 2 where they heard themselves in 16 well known languages, yes. Unmeaning gibberish and mutterings, no. In fact the Bible condemnes such in Isa.8:19.
Amadeus,
In the 1960'2 when that familiar spirit started to come cross-denominational barriers, i was seeking this gift, thinking it was biblical. today i know better after much study and experiences.
If you cannot speak it, be happy,because GOD Himself is preserving you from this. My constant prayer was, please dear Lord guide me into all truth, and the Lord spared me.

Upvote 0

Spclone34

Acts 2:38/1Tim 3:16
May 21, 2004
Soon to be living with Jesus!
✟328.00
Faith
Oneness
Politics
US-Republican
If you are talking about the inciate tongues Yes! When I Obeyed the Plan of Salvation Acts 2:38. I recieved the Holy Ghost and spoke in Tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance.

If you are talking abut the one in 1 Cor then No I don't have the gift of tongues to edify.

Here is the differents:I have been in an Apostolic Church all my life. I can honestly say I thought there was One Tongues (Acts 2)and then when I got on this Forum I started wondering why Tongues was close to the last on the list of gifts. When it should have been the first. So I asked my sister and she said there were 2 tonges the Inital one in Acts when a Sinner comes to God and the other is the gifts.
So I prayed about it and here is what the Lord told me. It is an AWESOME relevelation!

1)There is two different tongues, one is the initial evidence of a believer receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost with it comes a prayer language to pray to God for unknown things and intercessory prayer for praying for something or someone that needs prayer. Have you ever been woken up in the middle of the night and just had to pray and don't know why?

Anyway the second is the gift of tongues, which is for the edifing of the church and that comes with an interpetation.
That is powerful when God works thru you to speak, and also the interpetation comes from someone other than the one speaking.

That's the reason Paul wrote to the church saying stop your doing it wrong and goes through the "list" of what it's for and how it works.

A)There is some people that have a problem with Acts 2:6-13. Here is your answer to this. Some people will say the Apostolic's avoided this verse. Read 1 Corithians 12:10 to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues

2)1 Corithians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to the unbelieving: but prophesying is for a sign, not to the unbelieving, but to them that believe.

This shows both uses of divers tongues.

3) there are two kinds of tongues, both are meantioned in the Bible but only one has an example given in Acts 2. the other is meantioned several times like 1 Corithians 12. and this one

asv-Rom 8:26 And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered;

kjv-Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities:for we know not what we should pray for4336 as2526 we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

B)What about (1 Cor 12:30) "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

4)As I said before there are divers kind of tongues.

You have to look at why Paul was writing to the Corithians first of all, they were an established church that went through the same salvation plan (Acts 2:3 that the Apostles went through on the day of Pentecost, then they were, as one said "abusing" the tongues. speaking in tongues wildly and out of order. (go look at some commentaries on it)

1 Cor 12:10 and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues:
1 Cor 12:11 but all these worketh the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each one severally even as he will.

On the day of Pentecost they had no need for interpretation because they were heard by men, who in turn heard them speaking in their language. The other kind of tongue is where the Holy Ghost works thru you to bring a message to the church, that needs an interpretation.

JESUS said......in Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.
Mark 16:17 And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues.

5)Anyway I wanted to add this definition
UT'TERANCE, n.

1. The act of uttering words; pronunciation; manner of speaking; as a good or bad utterance.

They began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2.

2. Emission from the mouth; vocal expression; as the utterance of sounds.

Every time they received the Holy Ghost, in the book of Acts, they spoke in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. While in the upper room the ALL received it not just a few, a couple, no, all of them.

If you've ever had the Holy Ghost move on you, then you can imagine what they felt like being impowered with the Spirit of the almighty God who created the Heavens, Earth and all there in, Who came down from heaven, robed himself in flesh, became a spotless sacrifice for all that "whosoever will"
Rose on the third day Victorious over death, hell, and the grave, ascended into Heaven leaving a promise that he would not leave us comfortless, but that his Spirit would come unto us John 14:20 In that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Rom 8:8 and they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

I know it's biblical to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance, I am proof that it is true, God's word backs me up. I know the truth and it has set me free.

Having been filled with the Holy Ghost as the apostles were, and knowing what the scripture says then I am on the right track. I know the truth and it has set me free.
Understanding this, the letters or epistles that were written to the CHURCHES that were established by the same Apostles that were in the book of Acts, by the same salvation plan that was laid out by Jesus and preached by the Apostles, they heard it directly from the source, therefore who am I to believe, you or them. Or some church that has done away with it because it didn't fit them.

C)There are some people whom learn tongues in class that ain't God's Spirit working in them.

6)There are 2 Different kind of Tongues!!!
It was given by the Holy Ghost, not learned in some class.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying, Behold, are not all these that speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we, every man in our own language wherein we were born?
Yes they understood them on the day of pentecost, but they who spoke didn't understand what they were saying, but the hearers did.

1 Cor 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

7)Look at these scriptures and tell me what you see....if nothing then ok, but if you do see, then consider it.

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it will, and thou hearest the voice thereof, but knowest not whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit

Jesus is explaining the Baptism of the Holy Ghost

The wind blows and you hear the sound, but you don't know where it comes from, nor where it goes.

He is telling us that when we are born again of the Spirit we will know it because we will hear something..

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them that heard the word.
Acts 10:45 And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with
tongues
Jesus taught it, the Apostles taught it, I have it because God say I needed it, so it must be important?

D)Two different tongues , one was for edifying the church and the other was a prayer langauge.

Hope this makes sence to you, For it made sence to me. And I thank God for the Revelation he gave me.

Beth

Upvote 0

Flavius

FoundWanting
Apr 10, 2004
EastOfEden,Near Houston
✟530.00
Faith
Messianic
IXOYE said:
I was just wondering how that gift came to be in your life, was it sudden and uncontrolable? or did you just feel the urge one day and say what the heck? I'm really curious, I ernestly seek after the gift, but it has thus elluded me. I'm hoping that God gives it to me someday soon.

IXOYE
I was taught the gift of tounges when I was about 10 years old and it just flowed out of me for 25 years.Then I learned that the day of Pentacost happened on mnt Sinia when the law was givin,G-d hovered over the stranger and all of Israel in a great flame of fire{toungues} and he spoke to all nations with an audible voice and everyone heard him declaring that he was Hashem and the people told Moses 50 days after leaving Egypt that they din't wanna hear G-d talk to them ever again.Just think about it,they heard G-d's voice speaking from a fire,I am so happy that I wasn't there.

The people said to Moses,Don't let G-d speak to us again.

Thus the Toungues,The desciples went out and spoke to every man in his own language but the desciples were just speaking their own language but everyone heard in their own language.

All my life,when I felt oppessed,persecuted or just feeling bad,I spoke in my tounges and I felt a relief and a comfort because I had the gift of the holy spirit.But I don't speak in tounges any more

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what spiritual gifts God has given me, so I ain't fighting for new ones...

Tongues isn't one of them...

Plus, the first time tongues is mentioned (and latter times) usually it means an actual LANGUAGE, as opposed to some heavenly one... also, those that are given that gift of tongues, are encouraged biblically to translate them - so I am a bit 'wary' of those who claim to have the gift of tongues, and can't have it translated by one with the gift of discernment...

Satan can use that 'heavenly' language - despite the number of pentecostals who try and debulk this..

AND PLEASE - just cos you don't have the gift does NOT mean you don't have the holy spirit :mad: And having him come into you does not mean you must evidence this by speaking in tongues from thereon in - it is a SPIRITUAL GIFT, of which we are not given all of them... :sigh:

I have the holy spirit in me - compassion, discernment, joy all come from him too :D And I don't speak in tongues - I used to, but I realised it was forced by my old church, and not actually given to me by God - I said yabba dabba do, and the church claimed I'd been given them... whatever...

Sasch

Upvote 0

indonesianpalmtree

JC's sentinel
Mar 17, 2004
Western Cape
✟568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AND PLEASE - just cos you don't have the gift does NOT mean you don't have the holy spirit :mad: And having him come into you does not mean you must evidence this by speaking in tongues from thereon in - it is a SPIRITUAL GIFT, of which we are not given all of them... :sigh:

:mad: :mad: I second that!

When i spoke it's not like i waited for it to happen or ask for it or anything...i didn't even want to at first... although it might be because it was because i cursed other people with it.

It's easy to get alienated because it's easy to babble some "holy language" and say it's holy. But i have to lean towards its existence because i was very sceptical until it actually happened.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it didn't exist - I know it does :) I just believe someone should be able to have it interpreted (if they're doing it in public), as stated in the Bible...

LOL - I look mad in that last post - I was in a shocking mood yesterday!

Sasch

Upvote 0
indonesianpalmtree said:
:mad: :mad: I second that!

When i spoke it's not like i waited for it to happen or ask for it or anything...i didn't even want to at first... although it might be because it was because i cursed other people with it.

It's easy to get alienated because it's easy to babble some "holy language" and say it's holy. But i have to lean towards its existence because i was very sceptical until it actually happened.
so what languege did you speak?

In act 2 :5 people from every nation [thus many languages]

Acts 2:6 every man heard them in their own language

what they were saying
act 2:11 the wonderful works of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

indonesianpalmtree

JC's sentinel
Mar 17, 2004
Western Cape
✟568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so what languege did you speak?
I have absolutely no idea. As i said earlier, it was some crazy gutteral screaming thingy. No idea, but it sounded like i was speaking normally...only in some weird language. It wasn't a human tongue.

I spoke to a friend who was also possessed and he seemed to understand it...but it wasn't me speaking...freaky.

God bless

Upvote 0

indonesianpalmtree

JC's sentinel
Mar 17, 2004
Western Cape
✟568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it wasn't quite "bla bla bla". It was more like (now this isn't accurate):

Tong mach rha chatem makeira makeira. Aaaaaaaaargh!!!

Again, that's only a similarity (plus i bet it's funny too, huh :)). Me and my friend were speaking in a non-holy, evil demonic language (or so it sounded to me, i don't know). There was someone else that spoke some beautiful language that irretated us...or "us".

But hey, take it or leave it. I'm not here to prove myself or what i experienced.

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.