Were you born again with the laying on of hands?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I heard it taught that one is born again with a prayer. But I was born again, with the laying on of hands. I received the Holy Spirit, and fell back to the ground. How were you born again? Did any others receive the laying on of hands?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I heard it taught that one is born again with a prayer. But I was born again, with the laying on of hands. I received the Holy Spirit, and fell back to the ground. How were you born again? Did any others receive the laying on of hands?
1 Peter 1:23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

You are born again by hearing and receiving the word of God.
Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing
by the word of God.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless one is born of:

1) WATER
&
2) SPIRIT

1 Peter 1:23 “born again through the word of God” means that God gave us the commands to believe, repent, be baptized, etc so we can receive His Spirit and be born again. Not that the literal word of God (the Bible) saves us.

Titus 3:5: He saved us, not by works of righteousness, but according to His mercy. THROUGH…. THROUGH the WASHING of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit.

Regeneration = New birth

Water & Spirit John 3:3-7

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We are born again when we receive Christ. (John 1:12) It may be alone, in a meeting or one on one. No one gets born again just by the laying on of hands. If you have not received Christ, then you are not saved. The spirit you received is not the Holy Spirit. If that sounds a little harsh, it's not my intention. Too many people imagine that they are Christians when they are not. It's better to find out the truth now than to hear, "Depart from me, I never knew you" on the day of judgement.
John 3:18
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Upvote 0

servant7777

Jul 4, 2022
bolton
✟6,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Knowing Jesus Christ is righteous is being born of Him, to not sin against the others we are called to believe in Jesus laying His life down for them and for all..

1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember..some people having similar stories/testimonies (your experience).
---
My experience (born again ).
- I heard..the clear 'Evangel' message..
- through radio ministry.
I knelt..& prayed.
- I received Christ as my Savior.
The beginning of of my spiritual journey.
- 50 years ago..

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

servant7777

Jul 4, 2022
bolton
✟6,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember..some people having similar stories/testimonies (your experience).
---
My experience (born again ).
- I heard..the clear 'Evangel' message..
- through radio ministry.
I knelt..& prayed.
- I received Christ as my Savior.
The beginning of of my spiritual journey.
- 50 years ago..

Regarding mans own testimony:

John 5:33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

• Optimistic
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding mans own testimony:

John 5:33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
Did you read OP?
- My response is to OP..
---
Did you read/study..?
- John 5:32-34.
- the meaning..etc.
---
* I am not interested..getting into..passage/verse discussion/interpretation.
- It seems..this thread/OP is not about that issue.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are born again when we receive Christ. (John 1:12) It may be alone, in a meeting or one on one. No one gets born again just by the laying on of hands. If you have not received Christ, then you are not saved. The spirit you received is not the Holy Spirit. If that sounds a little harsh, it's not my intention. Too many people imagine that they are Christians when they are not. It's better to find out the truth now than to hear, "Depart from me, I never knew you" on the day of judgement.
John 3:18
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

hey calm down, how you know and make such harsh decision that the spirit he received is not the HS? you don't know all the details.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frank sears

Jul 26, 2022
Searcy,ar
✟10,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are quite a lot of people in the Christian movement that claim spiritual experiences as evidence of their salvation rather than clearly accepting Jesus as Savior and committing their life to live for God. Some of these folks have risen to great popularity and wealth, however the spirit they follow is not the Holy Spirit, though they claim it is.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I was born again when I accepted Christ.

Upvote 0

wendykvw

Author, and Patristic Universalist Minister
Mar 24, 2011
Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was born again the moment I placed faith in Christ at that moment I received the Holy spirit. I was filled and baptized with the Holy spirit when God sent me on the mission field.

Upvote 0

frank sears

Jul 26, 2022
Searcy,ar
✟10,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While we are on the subject. Did God speak to any of you at your salvation experience? I do not mean an impression of thought, but by actual words that could be quoted. I do not mean audible words in this physical realm. but words nonetheless, that bypassed the physical hearing and went straight to the mind. Just curious, many teach that God never speaks outside the Bible.

Upvote 0

wendykvw

Author, and Patristic Universalist Minister
Mar 24, 2011
Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While we are on the subject. Did God speak to any of you at your salvation experience? I do not mean an impression of thought, but by actual words that could be quoted. I do not mean audible words in this physical realm. but words nonetheless, that bypassed the physical hearing and went straight to the mind. Just curious, many teach that God never speaks outside the Bible.
Yes. He said stop relying on your emotions and feelings when I asked why don't I feel saved..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
hey calm down, how you know and make such harsh decision that the spirit he received is not the HS? you don't know all the details.
It's spiritual principle. The Holy Spirit will not indwell an unclean vessel. If he received a spirit, as he states (and I believe him), it was not the Holy Spirit. His experience was common in the 1990's when the Toronto Blessing was doing the rounds. I had one young woman tell me that she was saved because a spirit threw her several rows back in church. I heard testimonies of unbelievers falling over and assuming that they were saved as a result. It does not go like that. Jesus saves. No Jesus, no salvation. I'm not making this up. It's the words of Christ Himself and recorded in the Bible.

The last days are characterised by deception. I dare not allow someone to believe that they are saved when they are not. I will have to give an account to God. How can I say that I did not want to look bad so I said nothing?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Being born again involves believing the Gospel of Christ, embracing Christ as Saviour, and repenting of sin. Just because someone laid hands on you and you fell backwards does not mean that you were born again. There is nothing in the New Testament that anyone was born again or received the Holy Spirit by being slain in the Spirit. The only reference to people falling backwards was when the mob came to arrest Jesus and when Jesus said, "I am he", they all fell backwards, and this showed that no one could arrest Jesus without Him allowing Himself to be arrested. Most people falling over in churches are either doing it through hypnotic suggestion or merely faking it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Being born again involves believing the Gospel of Christ, embracing Christ as Saviour, and repenting of sin. Just because someone laid hands on you and you fell backwards does not mean that you were born again. There is nothing in the New Testament that anyone was born again or received the Holy Spirit by being slain in the Spirit. The only reference to people falling backwards was when the mob came to arrest Jesus and when Jesus said, "I am he", they all fell backwards, and this showed that no one could arrest Jesus without Him allowing Himself to be arrested. Most people falling over in churches are either doing it through hypnotic suggestion or merely faking it.
I was one who found it difficult to fall, and usually remain standing around people on the ground.

I doubt there is any hypnosis. I'd remember if I was hypnotized, and I am not willing to be hypnotized in principle.

I repented starting ten years before this event. I wanted to have the fruit of the Spirit, mainly love. I had been to many altar calls but did not receive. Benny Hinn teaches you can only be born again by prayer. Not the laying on of hands.

I had to be prepared a lot, to open my heart, long before to know I needed to make straight the way and be clean...

As in prayer the preacher when laying hands on me said the Holy Spirit is coming into you, there it is, as I finally fell and took it.

Later a brother praying for me said, Lord you have made him your son, now make him more your son. Elsewhere, my regular preacher may have prophesied or interpreted tongues saying that we should open our hearts as wide as we can, and receive Him to the very centre, and that there would be something special between us and Him, for some faster than others.

Also afterwards at the back of church I stood surrendering to God and began to become gentle. Later a young brother at a conference in prayer for me had a vision of a grain of wheat, falling off the head and dying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Mostly I agree. There is precedent for falling over, "slain in the Spirit" as some call it. John fell as one dead before the Lord (Revelation 1:17) also Ezekiel 1:28 and Daniel 8:18.

There is a lot of fake also. I've been prayed for and the minister tried to push me over. I reckon they take pride in seeing people fall over, as if it makes the minister some kind of spiritual giant. Some also is hypnosis. The genuine is there from time to time.

Upvote 0