Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
There's going to be signs and wonders. In post #14, some Scriptures about what the enemy can do.

Believers need to know the differences between the Godly and ungodly because "...shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." Matt 24:24

The primary difference is the source of the miracles.

Some want to discount all miracles, prophecies, and deliverances. Some use these -
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 721-23
It is clear with "I never knew you" who God is addressing

Plus there are numerous other Scriptures that support Godly signs and wonders today such as "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18 Again some believers would select these as their hated, disliked or ignore Scriptures.

"These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." This truth was stated about Paul and Silas. What could be wrong with that? After she followed them many days saying this, Paul commanded, in the name of Jesus, for the evil spirit of divination to leave her and it did the same hour. (Acts 16). Some who go by appearances would have been OK with her from the get go. But in spite of the truth being stated, through the discerning of spirits, the Holy Spirit let Paul know how to take care of the problem and her motivation.

Those who want God to reveal Himself in "acceptable" ways probably wouldnt carry a cloth.
"God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
"So that handkerchiefs or towels or aprons which had touched his skin were carried away and put upon the sick, and their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them." Acts 19:11-12.

Miracles are for today.
'Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12 We can discuss "greater works" forever. If we asks amiss, He wont answer (Jam 4). Seems we just need to pray and believe. Leave it up to Him.

Some other differences- Believers will give all the credit to the Lord and not lead people away from Him. "By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus." Acts 4:30

The miracles point to Him, Jesus, while on earth, said look at the signs and wonders "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in Him." John 10:37-38

I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. :scratch:

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Miracle: An act by God with no explanation in science.
Providence: An act that can be explained by science, but that God uses to achieve his ends.

In either case, God deserves to be recognized and praised.
I agree with this definition. Walking on water would qualify. However I'm not so sure that the NT writers would agree with calling these things miracles in that sense.

In the 1st Cent the whole world was controlled by intelligent entities, gods, demons, etc. Science in the sense of the mechanical outflowing of impersonal laws either didn't exist or wasn't commonly accepted by ordinary people. I think the NT authors would speak not of miracles but of divine signs. Certainly something has to be unusual to be seen as a sign, but it's really God's use of them to show us something that makes them a sign, not the violation of scientific law.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There have been signs and wonders and they will continue. (Gen 1:14 "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" Gen 114 through- Rev chapter 22 Being in the new Jerusalem),.

It's to our advantage to know if miracles, signs, and wonders are from God or the enemy. (Matt 24:24).

There's numerous arguments even from some believers against any miracle, sign and wonder such as they've ceased, what they look like,, how we think God moves and doesn't move, not familiar with Scripture, etc.

What determines if they're from God? He always has a purpose. If we are unsure if it's Him, asks Him. It is Him who extends His hand to heal, do signs and wonders in the name of Jesus (Acts 4). God's people will give Him full credit for them and not lead people away from Him.

Wondering if this helps any?

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everybody knows that Jesus gave sight to the blind and raised the dead,.. healed the sick and made the lame walk again. However there were also things that He did that I find cool,.. but not really miraculous. How are things like walking on water and turning water into wine actually classified as miracles? I can't possibly be the only one wondering that can I?
Doing something that's completely impossible isn't a miracle? Walking on water defies physics. Turning water into wine probably does too. That's pretty significant stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Doing something that's completely impossible isn't a miracle? Walking on water defies physics. Turning water into wine probably does too. That's pretty significant stuff.

Agreed. I guess there are just different definitions of the word miracle and it just depends on which one you use.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everybody knows that Jesus gave sight to the blind and raised the dead,.. healed the sick and made the lame walk again. However there were also things that He did that I find cool,.. but not really miraculous. How are things like walking on water and turning water into wine actually classified as miracles? I can't possibly be the only one wondering that can I?

Because only God can do that :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with this definition. Walking on water would qualify. However I'm not so sure that the NT writers would agree with calling these things miracles in that sense.

In the 1st Cent the whole world was controlled by intelligent entities, gods, demons, etc. Science in the sense of the mechanical outflowing of impersonal laws either didn't exist or wasn't commonly accepted by ordinary people. I think the NT authors would speak not of miracles but of divine signs. Certainly something has to be unusual to be seen as a sign, but it's really God's use of them to show us something that makes them a sign, not the violation of scientific law.
And since science changes all the time, we should focus on what God is doing or saying through it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums