Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys, can anyone think of any good officers who were fighting for Germany during WW2? I know Erwinn Rommel, but I was hoping he wasn't the only one. I heard about General Karl Wolff, who was the leader of all SS units in Italy, and he negotiated the surrender of all german troops in Italy, but it took so long that he only got Italy out of the war 6 days before Germany was defeated. I know he wasn't tried for many war crimes, and had to spend like, maybe 3-4 weeks in jail tops. I don't know if that counts him as being as good as Rommel was. I heard about Oskar Schindler, but was he actually a military officer of that time? Please tell me what you know, as I am sure they couldn't have all been bad.

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Paladin Dave said:
Hey guys, can anyone think of any good officers who were fighting for Germany during WW2? I know Erwinn Rommel, but I was hoping he wasn't the only one. I heard about General Karl Wolff, who was the leader of all SS units in Italy, and he negotiated the surrender of all german troops in Italy, but it took so long that he only got Italy out of the war 6 days before Germany was defeated. I know he wasn't tried for many war crimes, and had to spend like, maybe 3-4 weeks in jail tops. I don't know if that counts him as being as good as Rommel was. I heard about Oskar Schindler, but was he actually a military officer of that time? Please tell me what you know, as I am sure they couldn't have all been bad.
Erwin Rommel was not a member of the Nazi Party while Oscar Schindler was.

Upvote 0

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
That's a tough one... John Rabe was the Nazi hero that protested and worked in China when the Japanese tried to capture Nanking. He was horrified with the treatment of Chinese nationals during that time. Check out Iris Chang's Rape of Nanking. There were others some were involved with the attempt on Hitler's life

Upvote 0

Agrippa

Jan 15, 2004
✟1,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there were some. Someone already mentioned Rabe, who saved a number of Chinese from the Japanese during the Rape of Nanking.

As for Rommel, the German Official History of the War paints him in a very different light than British and American histories. They portray him as a far more dedicated Nazi than the Anglo-American historians. It addresses, for example, persecution of Jews by the Afrikan Korps. It should be noted, though, that I haven't had a chance to read the German Official History myself yet.

Upvote 0

Myah

Invoking Wisdom
Dec 8, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
✟8,583.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Schindler wasn't in the military during World War II at all. From what I have read, he was a Nazi mainly for the business contacts being in the party would bring, and was raised in Czechoslovakia around Jews and played with them as a child.

Upvote 0

ShadowAspect

Sep 8, 2004
✟8,079.00
Faith
Pagan
In history, we usually try to understand people and cultures. But unfortunatly, WWII and the Cold War are still pretty recent. during the cold war it was probably as important to demonize the Nazis as it was during WWII, and so it is politically incorrect still to look at the Nazis as anything other than Evil.

Usually I say that 'Evil' is a religious concept and plays no part in history... but as this is a religious forum, maybe that argument won't hold much sway. So maybe I should say that It is your Christian duty to try to understand and forgive people" (Its worth a try). An old solder who fought the nazis once gave me a peice of advice. He said that you should never hate your enemy, for if you do you will underestimate them, you should try to respect them, and by understanding them, you will defeat them.

So anyway, if you want an answer to this question, you should ask yourself who became Nazis, what motivated them to join this political ovement, what were the alternatives.

So imagine... you are from a family which is rich, well conected, and like your father and your grandfather before him, you join the military. Then the Nazis get into power.
You are well connected and you wish to stay that way, and in these days being well connected means being a party member. Besides, you abhore the communists and the Nazis are outspoken against them.

Do you see any problem so far?

You may say, there is a little problem about persecution of Jews. But in the 1930s, antisemitism was the norm. It wouldn't be something you would think twice about, especially if you believed half the things that the Nazis were telling you. And we do tend to believe what our leaders tell us, even in this day and age we find it hard to believe that our leaders might be lying.

I know a number of former Nazi officers... they seem like decent people to me, with one exception.

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand what you mean. I have a friend who refuses to believe that there are any good middle eastern people, and I have to try and tell him the same kind of stuff. I know that the average nazi was probably an all around good or atleast decent person, or atleast that is what I would hope. I was kinda shooting for the officers and generals, but what you said was helpful as well. Thanks guys, I'll have to look up some of the people you mentioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Paladin Dave said:

yeah, there was one...his name's Ralph Fiennes!!!
come to think of it, he simply played a nazi (schindlers list)....although very convincingly. :amen:

Upvote 0

Russebby

Student of the human condition
Aug 24, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
✟487.00
Faith
Christian
Oskar Schindler was a member of the Nazi Party, and he profitted through the employment of Jews and other "undesirables" in his factories.

And since when is service in the military part of being a member of the party in power? Shwarzenegger is apparently part of the Republican elite, and he never served. Clinton was in the ROTC at best. And we've all got our fill concerning Bush.

Upvote 0

Russebby

Student of the human condition
Aug 24, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
✟487.00
Faith
Christian
I'm sure there were a good chunk of Nazis who, after seeing the real brutality of Hitler's administration, defected and faded into the woodwork. Just like there were white Southerners who aided runaway slaves in America seek freedom in Canada through the Underground Railroad, I'm sure there were members of the Nazi party who smuggled Jews and Gypsies out of Europe.

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Russebby said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger's father was a Nazi, wasn't he? Anyone who could raise the star of KINDERGARTEN COP couldn't be completely, evil, could he?

maybe schwarzenegger's terminator movies are an indication of his family's nazi history!!! it sure is a strange thing to say to the people that one of the amerian dreams is to shoot people at point blank for as much as u like. this is a great contradiction to the american dream especially since 'popular culture' is so entrenched in the american psyche.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Shortly after the war General Patton made a statement comparing the Nazis in Germany to Republicans and Democrats in the US. He wasn't trying to say that the politics were the same, but I think that he was trying to point out that many Nazis were simply individuals who joined the party as a way to move up in society, but who did not embrace the ideals of the Nazis. For example, a German businessman in the late 1930s, knowing that the Nazis gave business contracts to Nazi businessmen, might have been willing to join the party to be eligable for those contracts even though that same individaul might have personally opposed what the Nazis were doing to the Jews.

Plesae note, I'm not denying that there were many fanitical Nazis who believed everything that the party stood for.

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
hemis said:
Sure, they were all good in their eyes, just they are bad for us. They gave us the Manhattan project, rocket engineers, Einstein, and the Volkswagen.

German cars are undoubtedly one of the best in the world in my opinion. I should know, I drive one!! :)

Upvote 0

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
kurabrhm said:
German cars are undoubtedly one of the best in the world in my opinion. I should know, I drive one!! :)
Good for you I had one. It was the best. I had someone total it in parking lot near where I lived. Even though after it was hit (I was Not in the car at the time of the problem) and shaped like banana it started and ran well. At that time it had over 200,000 miles on it. Truely a great car, VW Golf. Also at one time I had a TR6 not so good

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
wildthing said:
Good for you I had one. It was the best. I had someone total it in parking lot near where I lived. Even though after it was hit (I was Not in the car at the time of the problem) and shaped like banana it started and ran well. At that time it had over 200,000 miles on it. Truely a great car, VW Golf. Also at one time I had a TR6 not so good

i dunno about the Golf. never driven it. i drive a Polo.

Upvote 0