Were the things bloody Mary did barbaric?

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Henry removed the pope in order to get a divorce. He did not reject any teachings of the RC church.
Yes I agree with you there, what I find was wonderful was that even amongst all that wickedness God could use Henry VIII to get the Bible into English which wouldn't have happened had he not seceded from the Pope.
Once the Bible got into peoples hands in their language there was no stopping the flood of Christians many who paid dearly with their lives in the most agonising deaths.
We have much to thank them and of course God for.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
this brings up an interesting point. i've always thought that whites have treated each other far worse than they have any other race. yet whites are condemned only by how they treated other races.

Indeed, there has been much white violence over the centuries but there has also been much white on white violence because they practiced the "wrong" Christian religion. TBCH? While I think Luther and many of the Protestants have the "right" interpretation of scripture, I'm open to not only being wrong in my own personal interpretations of scripture but I also believe that there are other saved and "true" Christian denominations out there. Honestly? Who cares if the Catholics believe in purgatory? Does it really affect a persons relationship with Christ? Or who cares that many other denominations believe that you can lose your salvation from a lack of faith? It doesn't, really effect a persons walk they're just extra careful about falling away while we, know that we will NEVER fall away if we've been truly born again by Christ.

I mean some Protestants out there argue that if you trust in your works than you are not under God's grace and to accept Christ you have to accept that he paid for all of your sins ...etc. Otherwise you can't be saved. But, I obviously disagree.

Honestly? I'm glad most of the religious violence stopped among Christians. Because honestly, as long as you believe in the Trinity and go "all in" for Christ, IMO you're saved. So, why should we kill or harm saved people? I mean, I could maybe see why Christians used to do it to people worshiping other God's but NOT when that worship comes to Christ. Just because we worship Christ in a different way than you does not give us the right to persecute you. Unless of course, you're living in sin or you're stuck in this one particular sin and then we can be like "Hey, this is wrong.".

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree with you there, what I find was wonderful was that even amongst all that wickedness God could use Henry VIII to get the Bible into English which wouldn't have happened had he not seceded from the Pope.
Once the Bible got into peoples hands in their language there was no stopping the flood of Christians many who paid dearly with their lives in the most agonising deaths.
We have much to thank them and of course God for.

And if it wasn't for King James giving the order to make the King James Bible we wouldn't have the word of God used by many Christians worldwide even to this very day. Many people have been converted because of the KJV. There's been many advancements in Christianity thanks to the English monarchy despite how much we believe some of their past actions were wrong or barbaric.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's been many advancements in Christianity thanks to the English monarchy despite how much we believe some of their past actions were wrong or barbaric.

Talking of King James, don't you mean 'British Monarchy'? God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How are you defining Catholic so as to include Henry being counted as one? What do you call a person who believes the Catholic Church and it's doctrines?

I would say someone who believe in RC doctrine or who practises the rites to be RC.

Upvote 0