-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just read today where the Lord called Himself El Shaddai. Why has no one ever called God this before? I have never never of God being called this. Is it not a widely known name?
"The name Shaddai appears 48 times in the Bible, seven times as "El Shaddai" (five times in Genesis, once in Exodus, and once in Ezekiel).

"The first occurrence of the name is in Genesis 17:1, "When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, 'I am El Shaddai; walk before me, and be blameless,'[3] Similarly, in Genesis 35:11 God says to Jacob, "I am El Shaddai: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins". According to Exodus 6:2–3, Shaddai was the name by which God was known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Unfortunately, this name is usually hidden in Bible translations. El Shaddai is conventionally translated into English as God Almighty.

El Shaddai

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But I believe the gentiles all were deceived by demons, hence, “the gods of the gentiles are demons.” So, name any non-Christian deity and there is likely a demon involved.
I think the Bible, and even St Paul's writings, contains contradictory statements occasionally saying say are demons and at other times saying they are nothings. But the definition of a demon in the Greek world seems to be different from our definition. Greek poets and philosophers like Socrates thought they had intelligent demons guiding their thoughts.

This does not mean the people who follow that religion are devil worshippers. Devil worship is a particular and specific evil which most people throughout history have abhorred,

Even the most diabolical Pagan diety I am aware of, the Hindu goddess Kali, has positive attributes intended to elicit devotion.

How you describe God is more important than the word used for God.
Yes, as Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." There is only one God and it is our love for God and our behavior toward others that really count.

If religious practices involve persecuting others and committing atrocities then they do not come from the true God.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"The name Shaddai appears 48 times in the Bible, seven times as "El Shaddai" (five times in Genesis, once in Exodus, and once in Ezekiel).

"The first occurrence of the name is in Genesis 17:1, "When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, 'I am El Shaddai; walk before me, and be blameless,'[3] Similarly, in Genesis 35:11 God says to Jacob, "I am El Shaddai: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins". According to Exodus 6:2–3, Shaddai was the name by which God was known to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Unfortunately, this name is usually hidden in Bible translations. El Shaddai is conventionally translated into English as God Almighty.

El Shaddai
See that is wild. I've only seen it once in my Bible and had never heard that before. I have seen YWHW, and Elohim, and Jehovah, but not El Shaddai. Are they all from different languages?

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Simply put any religion that isn't of God, is of Satan either directly or indirectly because The Bible says you are either for God or against him and the ruler of those who are against him is indeed Satan. Egypt had their ruler as God just as Rome and other civilizations had their ruler as God. When man exalts himself as God then he is joining those who also exalt themselves as God....
Now THAT is very interesting. I don't know about the Jews though. I am pretty sure they follow the same God we do, they just do not recognize Jesus. I think their test will come when the Antichrist comes and they will either embrace him as the Messiah they have been waiting for or will realize that God would not have waited so long to send their Messiah and will accept Jesus as many are doing now. So many Jews are taught the wrong thing about Christians and have never even opened the New Testament. I had a room mate who was Jewish and he never even knew Jesus was a Jew! He was shocked! He never knew the disciples were Jewish. He had heard Christianity was a cult and the New Testament was a book about how to persecute the Jews and kill them. It was so refreshing to teach this man that what he had learned was the furthest thing from the truth.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Actually, it is the god Seth (or Set) who is identified with Baal.

Osiris was a representation of the Egyptian nation. Seth was his opponent and murdered him, a representative of the Asiatic Hyksos who ruled Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period (1650–1550 BCE) and worshipped Baal / Seth.

After Seth killed Osiris / Egypt and divided his body, the wife of Osiris was able to bring him back to life long enough to conceive Horus. Horus became the symbol of the Egypt's New Kingdom and Pharaohs were considered his sons.

SETH IS BAAL — EVIDENCE FROM THE EGYPTIAN SCRIPT on JSTOR

Seth | Egyptian god

Set (deity) - Wikipedia

Well One aspect of Baal that encouraged his worship especially in Israel was fertility especially that of crops because that was a bread and butter issue. Osiris seems to have that important quality (his green skin was an incarnation of the Green slimy mud of the Nile), but never have heard it with Set. But cool links and info.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
See that is wild. I've only seen it once in my Bible and had never heard that before. I have seen YWHW, and Elohim, and Jehovah, but not El Shaddai. Are they all from different languages?

Basically you have Hebrew descriptions for God (Elohim, El Shaddai, Adoni, etc.) and then God's name (YWHW).

El Shaddai was made popular back in the 1981 by Michael Card and then Amy Grant with the contemporary Christian music song "El Shaddai"

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And also don’t forget about Psalm 95 LXX (Psalms 96:5). In the Septuagint Psalter (LXX), Psalm 95:5 reads “The gods of the gentiles are demons.”

This is in contrast to the Masoretic text, where the same Psalm (numbered 96, because one of the Septuagint Psalms is divided into two), vs 5 reads “The gods of the gentiles are idols.”

I am inclined to think the Septuagint reading is more correct, because that gentile deities were idols would have been self-evident to the ancient Jews. In general the Septuagint Psalter has a better Christological reading, with the exception of Psalm 1 (verse 12 if memory serves), where the Masoretic text preserves a better Christological type.

Thank you, sir! Very valuable contribution to this list! :amen:

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just read today where the Lord called Himself El Shaddai. Why has no one ever called God this before? I have never never of God being called this. Is it not a widely known name?

Just like today, biblical people referenced the attributes of God(YHWH) through titles. It is similar to calling your spouse, "My Love" or "Dear." This is probably not your spouse's name, but it describes how you feel for them. Similarly, God(YHWH) is called many names signifying how we connect with Him. Some of these names mean Almighty/All-powerful(this is actually how El Shaddai is often translated), God my Redeemer/Savior, God my Comforter, Lord of Hosts/Armies, etc.

Perhaps this will help you: Names of God | Bible.org

As for your original post regarding the Satan/Enemy, Lucifer means light bringer/lightning bearer and may also be a reference to the morning star. Across pagan religions, this may be represented as Baal, Zeus, Jupitor, Set/Seth, Thor, and many other names, but all gods are false and at enmity to our Creator(YHWH). While it is worth studying, I think it would be better to learn more about the your Lord and Savior before learning about His many enemies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well One aspect of Baal that encouraged his worship especially in Israel was fertility especially that of crops because that was a bread and butter issue. Osiris seems to have that important quality (his green skin was an incarnation of the Green slimy mud of the Nile), but never have heard it with Set. But cool links and info.

Just was looking at Wikipedia. Both Baal and Set were gods of storms. So that might be a link between the two especially with the Hyksos.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you, sir! Very valuable contribution to this list! :amen:

Thank you sir! As soon as this pandemic is over I plan on traveling to Canada, as I want to take the Canadian train with its beautiful domed observation cars and I also would like to see the province of Quebec, as I did have a very intimate friend who was from there. :)

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you sir! As soon as this pandemic is over I plan on traveling to Canada, as I want to take the Canadian train with its beautiful domed observation cars and I also would like to see the province of Quebec, as I did have a very intimate friend who was from there. :)

Hawaii for me! :clap:

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Now THAT is very interesting. I don't know about the Jews though. I am pretty sure they follow the same God we do, they just do not recognize Jesus. I think their test will come when the Antichrist comes and they will either embrace him as the Messiah they have been waiting for or will realize that God would not have waited so long to send their Messiah and will accept Jesus as many are doing now. So many Jews are taught the wrong thing about Christians and have never even opened the New Testament. I had a room mate who was Jewish and he never even knew Jesus was a Jew! He was shocked! He never knew the disciples were Jewish. He had heard Christianity was a cult and the New Testament was a book about how to persecute the Jews and kill them. It was so refreshing to teach this man that what he had learned was the furthest thing from the truth.
If you read the Bible a lot you will realize that the Jews constantly throughout history drifted towards false gods and idolatry over and over again. Jesus himself called the leaders of Israel at the time "white washed tombs". People often choose themselves instead of God. They make themselves their own authority of morality and justice and those are God's attributes and position, essentially they are rejecting God for themselves which makes them their own god and worshiping themselves. When you make yourself your own god, you reject God and are an enemy and all those who are enemies of God are essentially aligning themselves with Satan and even though they aren't right next to him praising him etc, they are walking the same path right in his footsteps.
It is rather difficult to teach Jews about Christianity especially if they are well versed in Judaism as they often end up biased against Jesus you have to overcome the bias before you can discuss the logic of the Bible and history and prophecy to get them to consider it as having any sort of validity at all.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God was known by at least 4 names especially in the Old Testament:
Elohim-the living God also translated as Creator
El shaddai-the God of heaven
Yahweh or Jehovah(the latinized version) this was the personal name of God roughly translates to I AM. God identified himself to Moses by this name
Adonai-Lord (used because Jews held that the personal name shouldn’t be used in everyday conversation)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The more I learn about Egyptians, the more I have come to think that Osiris is Satan himself. No one ever comes out and just says this but that is what it looks like to me. Am I wrong here? Is Osiris not the spirit of Lucifer'?

I don't know much about Osiris, but I do know that all the false gods of this world are front-gods for the devil and the demons. I wrote a book about those modern idols (Amazon).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Basically you have Hebrew descriptions for God (Elohim, El Shaddai, Adoni, etc.) and then God's name (YWHW).

El Shaddai was made popular back in the 1981 by Michael Card and then Amy Grant with the contemporary Christian music song "El Shaddai"

Maybe that is what gave that singer Sade her name. I have seen there is a music band called "Elohim" which I find totally blasphemous. What arrogance and disregard some people have to think they can go there and face no consequence. I need to learn more about the names so that I know them, but I haven't known them up until now so...and if I were face to face with Him I would never say His name. Why don't we call Jesus Emmanuel? I know the angel told her to name Him Jesus but I just wonder why. Maybe it is just because Emmanuel just means " God with us".

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's possible that the ancient pagan gods where the nephilim. Probably not satan himself, but offsprings of fallen angels or fallen angels themselves.

It's a conspiracy theory:
As Genesis tells: Angels came to earth and reproduced with human. In other words they fell and entered the universe and where likely bound to the laws of it. Which means, they became matter; they became physical beings and the appearance is what humans have popularly imagined to be Aliens, anyway they fell and reproduced with humans and gave birth to the Nephilim. Again, it's a conspiracy or probably some imagined theories from christians..

It's more likely Osiris and such never really existed and was probably just made up by some/few people back then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The more I learn about Egyptians, the more I have come to think that Osiris is Satan himself. No one ever comes out and just says this but that is what it looks like to me. Am I wrong here? Is Osiris not the spirit of Lucifer'?
If your not for God your are against him and in doing so are in the spirit of Satan. Satan is a Hebrew word and it means adversary so if you are against God you are his adversary thus also satan. So yes Osiris is in the spirit of Satan (but not Lucifer because that's not Satan's name, it's Latin for light-bearer)

• Agree
Upvote 0