Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The more I learn about Egyptians, the more I have come to think that Osiris is Satan himself. No one ever comes out and just says this but that is what it looks like to me. Am I wrong here? Is Osiris not the spirit of Lucifer'?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I recall the first couple encounters with egypt, they appeared to be following the same God as Abraham, and Isaac. However, by the time of Jacob and Joseph, they started having different beliefs.

The name in the OP, don't know.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pagan gods are demons looking for human worship. Here are the Bible passages I am currently aware of:

Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’"

5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”

9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you
to guard you carefully;
11 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

13 When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.
~Luke 4:1-11 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 4 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 4 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 4 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 4 - International Children’s Bible

Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
~Matthew 4:1-11 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 4 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 4 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 4 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 4 - International Children’s Bible

Idol Feasts and the Lord’s Supper
14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? 17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.

18 Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? 19 Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. 22 Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
~1 Corinthians 10:14-22 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 10 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 10 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 10 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 10 - International Children’s Bible
15 “But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked;
You grew fat, you grew thick,
You are obese!
Then he forsook God who made him,
And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16 They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods;
With abominations they provoked Him to anger.

17 They sacrificed to demons, not to God,
To gods they did not know,
To new gods, new arrivals
That your fathers did not fear.

18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful,
And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
~Deuteronomy 32:15-18 (NKJV)

Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 32 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 32 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 32 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 32 - International Children’s Bible

34 They did not destroy the peoples,
Concerning whom the Lord had commanded them,
35 But they mingled with the Gentiles
And learned their works;
36 They served their idols,
Which became a snare to them.
37 They even sacrificed their sons
And their daughters to demons,

38 And shed innocent blood,
The blood of their sons and daughters,
Whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan;
And the land was polluted with blood.

39 Thus they were defiled by their own works,
And played the harlot by their own deeds.
~Psalm 106 (NKJV)

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 106 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 106 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 106 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 106 - International Children’s Bible

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They were no more Satanic than the Greeks, the Germans, the Anglos, the Celts, the Spanish, the Armenians, the Ethiopians or whomever else we might care to think of. They embraced the Gospel readily enough and abandoned whatever remnants of ancient Egyptian religion remained at the time of their conversion.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Egypt and Babylon in the Bible are types and shadows of "the World". And Pharaoh often is depicted a kind of anti-Christ and type of Satan.

Osiris as a pagan deity had a lot in common with the Baals of the Bible and may have originally come from Syria from the Baal religion since the pagans often adopted the gods of other countries. So sort of since Osiris is likewise depicted as a Pharaoh, the lord of the dead etc.

Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I recall the first couple encounters with egypt, they appeared to be following the same God as Abraham, and Isaac. However, by the time of Jacob and Joseph, they started having different beliefs.

The name in the OP, don't know.
What do you mean by different beliefs?

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They were no more Satanic than the Greeks, the Germans, the Anglos, the Celts, the Spanish, the Armenians, the Ethiopians or whomever else we might care to think of. They embraced the Gospel readily enough and abandoned whatever remnants of ancient Egyptian religion remained at the time of their conversion.
The Ancient Egyptian religion is who I am talking about!

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Egypt and Babylon in the Bible are types and shadows of "the World". And Pharaoh often is depicted a kind of anti-Christ and type of Satan.

Osiris as a pagan deity had a lot in common with the Baals of the Bible and may have originally come from Syria from the Baal religion since the pagans often adopted the gods of other countries. So sort of since Osiris is likewise depicted as a Pharaoh, the lord of the dead etc.
So is Baal Osiris? I have heard that Baal is Satan, as well as Nimrod, and Beelzebub. I am just trying to figure out who these figures are as I am reading about them. I mean how many names does the devil have?

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Simply put any religion that isn't of God, is of Satan either directly or indirectly because The Bible says you are either for God or against him and the ruler of those who are against him is indeed Satan. Egypt had their ruler as God just as Rome and other civilizations had their ruler as God. When man exalts himself as God then he is joining those who also exalt themselves as God....

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by different beliefs?
By the way they spoke with one another, it was obvious that their concept of the creator was totally different by the third meeting during the time of Joseph.

In the first meeting, God was able to speak directly to the king of egypt, but by the time of Joseph, God could only communicate through figurative dreams that needed interpreter.

Something God said about Moses, is similar as well. Where most prophets have a communication with God that is figurative, but God speaks directly to Moses.

So something about the beliefs must have changed, is my conclusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
By the way they spoke with one another, it was obvious that their concept of the creator was totally different by the third meeting during the time of Joseph.

In the first meeting, God was able to speak directly to the king of egypt, but by the time of Joseph, God could only communicate through figurative dreams that needed interpreter.

Something God said about Moses, is similar as well. Where most prophets have a communication with God that is figurative, but God speaks directly to Moses.

So something about the beliefs must have changed, is my conclusion.
I see. Were they pagan?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I see. Were they pagan?
Initially, no one was pagan, they all worshiped the same God as Noah.

However, as time passed, all the nations started creating their own gods to worship. Some of them were demons, some of them were based on nothing but human delusion and boredom creating something to do.

They didn't have all the entertainment technology we have today, so having an idol was similar to a video game system today because they had imaginations we don't today.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Early Israelites were henothiests, they didnt deny the existence of other gods, it was that Jehovah / El Shaddai was the God of the descendants of Abraham. And Jehovah was the supreme God over all the others. "And I will be a God unto thee and to thy seed after thee. And I will give to thee and to thy seed after thee the land of thy sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be thy God." Jacob answers Laban about Rachel stealing the household gods, "If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed". It is only later in Israel's history that they become monotheists.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Early Israelites were henothiests, they didnt deny the existence of other gods, it was that Jehovah / El Shaddai was the God of the descendants of Abraham. And Jehovah was the supreme God over all the others. "And I will be a God unto thee and to thy seed after thee. And I will give to thee and to thy seed after thee the land of thy sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be thy God." Jacob answers Laban about Rachel stealing the household gods, "If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed". It is only later in Israel's history that they become monotheists.
I just read today where the Lord called Himself El Shaddai. Why has no one ever called God this before? I have never never of God being called this. Is it not a widely known name?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

And also don’t forget about Psalm 95 LXX (Psalms 96:5). In the Septuagint Psalter (LXX), Psalm 95:5 reads “The gods of the gentiles are demons.”

This is in contrast to the Masoretic text, where the same Psalm (numbered 96, because one of the Septuagint Psalms is divided into two), vs 5 reads “The gods of the gentiles are idols.”

I am inclined to think the Septuagint reading is more correct, because that gentile deities were idols would have been self-evident to the ancient Jews. In general the Septuagint Psalter has a better Christological reading, with the exception of Psalm 1 (verse 12 if memory serves), where the Masoretic text preserves a better Christological type.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Indeed, the descendants of the ancient Egyptians are now the highly persecuted Coptic Christians of Egypt.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So is Baal Osiris? I have heard that Baal is Satan, as well as Nimrod, and Beelzebub. I am just trying to figure out who these figures are as I am reading about them. I mean how many names does the devil have?

Nimrod was just an ordinary dictator, not a supernatural being, as far as I am aware.

But I believe the gentiles all were deceived by demons, hence, “the gods of the gentiles are demons.” So, name any non-Christian deity and there is likely a demon involved.

This does not mean the people who follow that religion are devil worshippers. Devil worship is a particular and specific evil which most people throughout history have abhorred, hence the brutal genocide of the Yazidis by Muslims, because the Muslims, whose idea of who God is is so wrong they are basically worshipping whichever demon impersonated Archangel Gabriel and posessed, inspired or otherwise interacted with Mohammad, on the mere false rumor that Yazidis worship the devil.

Even the most diabolical Pagan diety I am aware of, the Hindu goddess Kali, has positive attributes intended to elicit devotion.

Only a handful of really sick individuals throughout history have become deluded to the point where they actually worshipped the devil. Some of the followers of Anton La Vey, but not according to La Vey, but the man was a pathological liar. Jack Parsons, a rocket scientist who was one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion Lab, was seriously into the occult and together with L Ron Hubbard, who later cheated him out of massive amounts of money, engaged in an obscene ritual with a woman based on the writings of the British occultist Aleister Crowley which could be considered devil worship. Then we have Richard Ramirez, the terrible serial killer known as “The Night Stalker.” That it is difficult to identify definite examples before recent centuries shows how small the percentage of intentional devil worshippers is.

In Zoroastrianism, however, the word the Hindus use for divine beings is used to refer to devils, and Zoroastrianism and Hinduism are in many respects opposite each other. There are enough parallels between Zoroastrianism and Judeo-Christianity that I think it possible Zoroaster was a failed prophet, or that he corrupted an earlier religion that was of a true nature, since Noah and his sons did worship our God, and we know there were holy priests in an ancient religion, such as Melchizedek, to which Abraham adhered, and this religion we can deduce is contiguous with ancient Hebraism, pre-Christian Judaism (which had become corrupt and was on the verge of disappearing when our Savior was born), and Christianity.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word Elohim was used hundreds of times in the Hebrew Bible to describe God. The word is a masculine plural noun. The word El was also used to describe God, not only in Hebrew, but also in Late Bronze Age NW Semitic language cuneiform tablets found in the ruins of Ugarit at Ras Shamra, Syria. Both El and Baal were popularized by stories about them. The Jews also used the word YHWH for God. Some thought the word Adonai more appropriate. This Adonai means Lord.

How you describe God is more important than the word used for God.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Actually, it is the god Seth (or Set) who is identified with Baal.

Osiris was a representation of the Egyptian nation. Seth was his opponent and murdered him, a representative of the Asiatic Hyksos who ruled Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period (1650–1550 BCE) and worshipped Baal / Seth.

After Seth killed Osiris / Egypt and divided his body, the wife of Osiris was able to bring him back to life long enough to conceive Horus. Horus became the symbol of the Egypt's New Kingdom and Pharaohs were considered his sons.

SETH IS BAAL — EVIDENCE FROM THE EGYPTIAN SCRIPT on JSTOR

Seth | Egyptian god

Set (deity) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0