Were the Canaanites giants?

• Thread starter NotEnoughFaith2BeAtheist
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotEnoughFaith2BeAtheist

Just curious, I'm in Numbers in my reading of the Bible Genesis to Revelation now, and I was just wondering. Were the Canaanites giants or something? :confused:

But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."
(Numbers 13:31-33)

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
NotEnoughFaith2BeAtheist said:
Just curious, I'm in Numbers in my reading of the Bible Genesis to Revelation now, and I was just wondering. Were the Canaanites giants or something? :confused:

But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."
(Numbers 13:31-33)
I wouldn't say all of them were, probably not even most of them. Without actually looking up the specifics in Scripture, doesn't your reference only refer to the Anakites as giants, not all Canaanites?

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
Yes, there were giants. Genesis 6 tells us that the Nephilim were the offspring of the Sons of God with the daughters of men.

I have heard that there is less genetic diversity within the human race than any other animal type. That one subculture of apes has more diversity amongst itself than the human race.

It seems logical to me to assume that giants could exist. We have large horses and small horses, large and small whales, and all other creatures. Humans, due to our tendencies for genocide, wiped out certain races such as the Caananites, thus creating a more homogenous race.

Upvote 0

FreezBee

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
Southern Copenhagen
✟1,704.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
XianJedi said:
You know, for a split second there, that looked like "Canadians".
:D
There is a story among Jews, that because Moses was a slow and stuttering talker, he happened to say Canaan, but he meant Canada.

As for the OP: remember that the scouts might have been exaggerating - they needed some excuse to disguise that they were simply afraid!

- FreezBee

Upvote 0

Espada

Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr
Nov 23, 2005
Buckinghamshire, England
✟15,954.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
tyreth said:
Yes, there were giants. Genesis 6 tells us that the Nephilim were the offspring of the Sons of God with the daughters of men.

I have heard that there is less genetic diversity within the human race than any other animal type. That one subculture of apes has more diversity amongst itself than the human race.

It seems logical to me to assume that giants could exist. We have large horses and small horses, large and small whales, and all other creatures. Humans, due to our tendencies for genocide, wiped out certain races such as the Caananites, thus creating a more homogenous race.

Actually Genesis 6 does not mention Giants at all, this was a translational error, they were nephilim, half angel (Sons of God) and half human (daughters of man).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreezBee

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
Southern Copenhagen
✟1,704.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Espada

Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr
Nov 23, 2005
Buckinghamshire, England
✟15,954.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
FreezBee said:
Except that there are a few variant theories on that topic:

http://www.christianforums.com/t2489759-genesis-61-4who-were-the-sons-of-god.html

- FreezBee

In the Hebrew "Sons of God" always refers to a direct creation of God i.e. angels, in the Septuagint, the Greek word used was angelos (angels).

The daughters of man is actually the "Daughters of Adam", if this is the daughters of Cain why not just use "Daughters of Cain".

The word in the Septuagint for Nephilim was Gigantis (you see where the Giant error came from), actually it just means earth born (from Gigas).

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
Espada said:
Actually Genesis 6 does not mention Giants at all, this was a translational error, they were nephilim, half angel (Sons of God) and half human (daughters of man).

Well, you'll notice that I didn't actually say giants in Genesis 6, I said Nephilim. And, according at least to my Hebrew lexicon, the word nephilim in Hebrew means "giant", and translated in the LXX as you mentioned to gigantos.

But we know from later verses, such as the one in the original post, that the Nephilim were giants. And we can be fairly sure, from Job 2:1 that the Sons of God indeed refers to angels, and not just to a holy line of Seth.

But such matters are less important. What is important is that yes, there could have been giants in those days (8-12feet tall off memory), and that they would not have to be around today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.