Were the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Justified?

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Experts predicted the continued fighting would've produced far more casualties of war had the bombs not been dropped.

Of course though you will always have the camp that feels "All we are saying, is give peace a chance".

The US military is still using purple hearts manufactured for operation downfall.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I love how no facts have been presented to refute the thread OP

I was actually working on putting together a cogent argument.

But you hilighted a point for me. It would be an utter waste of time.

here. Read it. Or don't.

Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seeing as Japan had made multiple attempts to surrender prior to the bomings, I find that highly unlikely.

How would the Department of Water Purification and Epidemic Prevention have fared in those overtures?

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How would the Department of Water Purification and Epidemic Prevention have fared in those overtures?

Irrelevant, because you are shifting the goalposts so far that they aren't even in the stadium any more. Unless you are forwarding the point that "well, the Japanese military did some horrible things, so those Japanese civilians had it coming to them."

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Those were the terms. Japan was a brutal, vicious nation and letting them surrender yet save face would only allow them to keep their options open for future brutality

Do you even know what the terms WERE?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant, because you are shifting the goalposts so far that they aren't even in the stadium any more. Unless you are forwarding the point that "well, the Japanese military did some horrible things, so those Japanese civilians had it coming to them."
The civilians were collateral damage living near a military target who ignored the warnings of the coming destruction

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Those were the terms. Japan was a brutal, vicious nation and letting them surrender yet save face would only allow them to keep their options open for future brutality
And you don't consider firebombing and Nuking civilians to be an act of brutality?

Doesn't matter. The terms available were unconditional surrender or utter defeat
then let me fill you in. The terms of surrender that were eventually accepted, were pretty much identical to the ones that Japan sought.

The civilians were collateral damage living near a military target who ignored the warnings of the coming destruction
I know you believe this, but it's nonsense. It was wholesale slaughter of innocents.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
then let me fill you in. The terms of surrender that were eventually accepted, were pretty much identical to the ones that Japan sought.

Yeah, weren't the terms pretty much that the Emperor could remain on the throne, which was granted anyway?

I think a better question would be "was Roosevelt's policy of 'unconditional surrender' to the Axis powers justified?"

It didn't just lead to the atomic bombings (or alternately to Operation Olympic and Downfall), but also to the Soviet Union taking over eastern Europe.

In the context of "unconditional surrender", th bombings were justifiable as they saved more lives than they cost.

But were hundreds of thousands in the atomic and fire bombings or millions of lives in an invasion worth refusing surrender terms we'd later grant anyway?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah, weren't the terms pretty much that the Emperor could remain on the throne, which was granted anyway?
more or less. The Imperial Japanese view of the diety of their emperor in all. their fear was his mistreatment, and nothing more.

The Bombings didn't save lives in the slightest. They were pressing forward with unleashing the nukes regardless. They needed an example to the "red" threat that would be coming post war.

And in doing so, sparked a cold war scenario that was truly frightening.

Upvote 0