LDS Were parts of the Bible deleted by the great and abominable church?

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the TEXTS about Peter's great confession and Christ's reply about "upon this rock I will build my church" -- the TEXTS are all the same in Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant versions of the Bible -- it is the interpretations that differ...

I don't see Peter himself being the 'rock' -- so talk of "Peter's successor" doesn't do that much for me

If you look in Acts, Peter was not even the 'leader' of the early Jerusalem church where he was -- James the adelphos of Jesus seemed to be "in charge" -- and apparently Peter changed his behavior in Antioch when "certain of James" arrived, leading to Paul confronting Peter about it...

The King James Version was "old" when I was a kid, I remember being presented a Revised Standard Version in 1962 by the Methodist Church. By being OLD, the English words of KJV sometimes don't mean the same as today's English, and later versions have allegedly older and better manuscripts to base their translation on. To me, the KJV is better for memorization; but comparing different versions is inevitable to me if we want to take advantage of all that Biblical scholarship can offer.

I don't like the PARAPHRASES, but the actual TRANSLATIONS -- I will read all I can get.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
the TEXTS about Peter's great confession and Christ's reply about "upon this rock I will build my church" -- the TEXTS are all the same in Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant versions of the Bible -- it is the interpretations that differ...

I don't see Peter himself being the 'rock' -- so talk of "Peter's successor" doesn't do that much for me

If you look in Acts, Peter was not even the 'leader' of the early Jerusalem church where he was -- James the adelphos of Jesus seemed to be "in charge" -- and apparently Peter changed his behavior in Antioch when "certain of James" arrived, leading to Paul confronting Peter about it...

The King James Version was "old" when I was a kid, I remember being presented a Revised Standard Version in 1962 by the Methodist Church. By being OLD, the English words of KJV sometimes don't mean the same as today's English, and later versions have allegedly older and better manuscripts to base their translation on. To me, the KJV is better for memorization; but comparing different versions is inevitable to me if we want to take advantage of all that Biblical scholarship can offer.

I don't like the PARAPHRASES, but the actual TRANSLATIONS -- I will read all I can get.
I agree with you, how could Peter be the 'rock' of Jesus's church????

The 'rock' of Jesus's church is Jesus, and through Jesus (who was in heaven) he gave the apostles revelation about how to organize and grow and administer the church.

It is Jesus and his revelation to the apostles that is the 'rock'.

It says this another way in:
Ephesians 2:20
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.

So in both cases, the foundation or rock of the church is Jesus Christ, being the chief cornerstone, the giver of all revelation to the other members of the foundation, the apostles and prophets.

So Jesus, revelation, apostles&prophets is the rock and foundation of the chruch. Certainly not 1 man, Peter.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus is more than the cornerstone of His church. He is the way, the truth, and the life. The apostles and prophets were messengers of God's word and thus became the foundation of the church which consists of every believer in any part of the world. Believers are the walls built on the firm foundation.

A house built on sand will fall, but the house built on the Rock is still standing.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is more than the cornerstone of His church. He is the way, the truth, and the life. The apostles and prophets were messengers of God's word and thus became the foundation of the church which consists of every believer in any part of the world. Believers are the walls built on the firm foundation.

A house built on sand will fall, but the house built on the Rock is still standing.
Of course Jesus is more than the chief cornerstone of the church.

But all believers in any part of the world do not make up the foundation of the church of Jesus Christ. Only the apostles and prophets and Jesus Christ are the foundation

You are right when you say the believers make up the walls built on the firm foundation.

You are right, a house built on the rock of Jesus in heaven, revealing to his apostles and prophets the right information to continue the growth and administration of his church is wise. Anything short of this organization is like building a house on sand, which is unwise.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Of course Jesus is more than the chief cornerstone of the church.

But all believers in any part of the world do not make up the foundation of the church of Jesus Christ. Only the apostles and prophets and Jesus Christ are the foundation

You are right when you say the believers make up the walls built on the firm foundation.

You are right, a house built on the rock of Jesus in heaven, revealing to his apostles and prophets the right information to continue the growth and administration of his church is wise. Anything short of this organization is like building a house on sand, which is unwise.
So the foundation of the church Christ established never failed and never needed a restoration.

• Winner
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So the foundation of the church Christ established never failed and never needed a restoration.
The foundation was dismantled by the people of the earth. Each of the apostles were slain by the worldly governments and the foundation was eventually gone.

With the foundation gone, Jesus, who is in heaven could not reveal to his apostles and prophets the direction that the church should go. Each church in the different cities struck out on their own and look what happened when that took place. Within a few years of the foundation being gone, there were several major schisms that broke the true church up into competing segments, now all vying for the affections of Constantine, the titular head of the church. They were willing or able to receive revelation from the true head of the church, Jesus Christ.

The only way to correct the problem was through a restoration, which was prophecied would happen.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The foundation was dismantled by the people of the earth. Each of the apostles were slain by the worldly governments and the foundation was eventually gone.

With the foundation gone, Jesus, who is in heaven could not reveal to his apostles and prophets the direction that the church should go. Each church in the different cities struck out on their own and look what happened when that took place. Within a few years of the foundation being gone, there were several major schisms that broke the true church up into competing segments, now all vying for the affections of Constantine, the titular head of the church. They were willing or able to receive revelation from the true head of the church, Jesus Christ.

The only way to correct the problem was through a restoration, which was prophecied would happen.
What a weak Jesus you have. He lied to you. Where was the Holy Spirit he promised?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Nope. You're relying on false information. The Cornerstone didn't disappear, nor did the foundation. Death couldn't remove the truths Christ taught, nor His sacrifice for sin. Death didn't remove the word of God that was revealed to His Church through the prophets and apostles. Those who opposed the truth, were shown to be false teachers. Mormons have had numerous schisms in their manmade organization. It is a fallen nature that teaches heresy. In heaven there will be no heresy.

CBMarthaMary.jpg

http://zionmilaca.org/CBMarthaMary.jpg

Upvote 0