Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
So many times I've heard Christians exclaim that God doesn't expect them to be door mat's. But then Jesus seems to paint's another picture, where being his disciple one must turn the other cheek.

Also he command's his follower's to be spitefully used, not to return curse for curse, and laying down one's life for their brothers and sisters.

It seems to me that this not the case, rather the opposite is true, and it does not make me inclined to believe what Christians say about the transformational power of Jesus.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So many times I've heard Christians exclaim that God doesn't expect them to be door mat's. But then Jesus seems to paint's another picture, where being his disciple one must turn the other cheek.

Also he command's his follower's to be spitefully used, not to return curse for curse, and laying down one's life for their brothers and sisters.

It seems to me that this not the case, rather the opposite is true, and it does not make me inclined to believe what Christians say about the transformational power of Jesus.
The reason why we don't see the transformational power of Jesus in the lives of so many professing Christians is that the Church in general is backslidden to what it should be. This is not to say that most church members are not real Christians. Anyone who genuinely gives their lives to Christ, repents from willful sin and determines to live a holy life is genuinely converted to Christ; but we are not perfect people and we do have shortcomings and faults. Jesus sets the standards and we are to try and live up to those standards. But, we need a revival, where the people of God need to see the real power of the Holy Spirit in their churches. There are many passionate believers who are praying for revival because they see so much worldliness, sinful practices, homosexuality, greed, self advertising, pride, arrogance, and just plain deadness in their churches. Outsiders seeing all this really do wonder where the power of God has gone, because they don't see it anywhere in any of the churches they visit. So they come to believe that Christians are a hypocritical lot. The truth is, that most Christians have never experienced true revival and a genuine outpouring of the power of God, so what they never experience, they never miss. But the ones who have experienced the real power of God where hundreds of people have cried out to God for mercy, turned to Christ, turned away from their sinful lifestyles and embraced personal holiness, they are the ones who bemoan the state of our churches today and who are praying and agonising in secret before God that He will rise up and show everyone who He really is and what it is like to be enveloped in His presence. For genuine Christian believers it is an experience of joy and rejoicing; for those who are living sinful lives, it will be a frightening, life-changing experience and they will either fall down and get right with God or they will run for the hills to get away from His presence.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I feel Jesus said if anything, we would carry the cross to. Our lives will not be easy. However I also believe that it doesn't mean we should be totally abused. For example if someone breaks into your home and he says hes going to steal your stuff then kill your wife and you. Do you say "Do whatever you would like! Jesus allows me to be a doormat!". No of course not. I believe there are some lines in which the bible shows us we still have to do what we need too.

Such as it says laying your life on the line to protect your brother is a good thing. I'd also use the example of people who believe God will take care of everything no matter what. Such as people will refuse to take their child to a doctor because if they pray, God will heal the child. Then the child dies. Though in some cases then they praise God for their child is in a better place. Its like standing in front of a moving train and saying "God, I trust in you and know you will stop this train from hitting me!". God gave us a brain and doesn't expect us to be stupid about somethings.

Now obviously in the case of the the thief in your house you will not kill, however you can still tackle him and save your family. And you can forgive him. Like if someone is driving and cuts you off, you can choose to swear at him or you can choose to smile and do nothing about it. Which of course is the right decision. God will bring justice in His time.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

What you may be witnessing are the dynamics of the behaviours of the various faithful
(all walks/ages of life) at various stages of their transformation into the image of Jesus Christ.

And false believers.

Upvote 0

theanticrash

Jan 30, 2018
Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I feel Jesus said if anything, we would carry the cross to. Our lives will not be easy. However I also believe that it doesn't mean we should be totally abused. For example if someone breaks into your home and he says hes going to steal your stuff then kill your wife and you. Do you say "Do whatever you would like! Jesus allows me to be a doormat!". No of course not. I believe there are some lines in which the bible shows us we still have to do what we need too.

Such as it says laying your life on the line to protect your brother is a good thing. I'd also use the example of people who believe God will take care of everything no matter what. Such as people will refuse to take their child to a doctor because if they pray, God will heal the child. Then the child dies. Though in some cases then they praise God for their child is in a better place. Its like standing in front of a moving train and saying "God, I trust in you and know you will stop this train from hitting me!". God gave us a brain and doesn't expect us to be stupid about somethings.

Now obviously in the case of the the thief in your house you will not kill, however you can still tackle him and save your family. And you can forgive him. Like if someone is driving and cuts you off, you can choose to swear at him or you can choose to smile and do nothing about it. Which of course is the right decision. God will bring justice in His time.
Good thinking 99.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

here is a difference between suffering because one is a Christian and someone taking advantage and stealing from one.

Two situations.
A Christian endures abuse because he witness to work collegues.
A Christian looses pay bonus because a superviser recognises that this Christian will turn the other cheek and pays himself the Christians bonus.

In todays society neither should happen to a Christian but one can be endured the other shouldn't.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Most Christians seem to take it at face value. If we also include the context in Lamentations 3:30, it changes the meaning entirely.

Turning the other cheek is a tactic to confuse a vastly superior enemy if nothing else can be done. In Lamentations, it was time that Israel was defeated and became occupied. The Jews were also under Roman occupation at the time of Christ.

In other cases, fighting back even with violence is an option.

Why would Jesus make a whip out of chords to violently drive away the merchants at the temple? Was it just to make an intelligent gesture? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello TAC (theanticrash). You're right! A lot of people who claim to be Christian have had a hard time "turning the other cheek" or "going the second mile."

However, we might also keep in mind that, as Christians, we are to be "as wise as serpents" in avoiding being eaten by the wolves, and we are to be prudent in engaging some people in the first place because some of them may be pigs, and we don't want to get trampled. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't command us to lay down our lives for another person. You have the verse totally wrong. He is saying that there is no greater form of love than to sacrifice everything, your very life.

John 15:12-17
12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15No longer do I call you servants,a for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Also he command's his follower's to be spitefully used, not to return curse for curse,
The idea behind this is not that we are letting ourselves be used and there is no justice. God tells us that He is the one who gives justice.

Romans 12:19
19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave iti to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

So if you want to criticize for letting God handle vengence for us, criticise away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theanticrash

Jan 30, 2018
Brisbane
✟1,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
In Relationship
1 Corinthians 6:7-8
7The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 8Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Christ's words on authority have been badtardized in order to fit ruling classes, and their purposes agenda of control of the populace.

That's all.

Christians are NOT doormats, and Christ doesn't expect us to be.

Turning the other cheek is about mercy, not about being weak, or passive. Before you strike someone back (impulse,) understand why someone would even strike you in the first place, and try to see if a reconciliation can occur. If not, then

DON'T CAST YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINE - INCLUDING, AND ESPECIALLY YOUR BODY/LIFE.

Sacrificing your life for faith is casting your pearls before God - which is ideal. However, Christians aren't walking punching bags; Christ was, and is nowhere near that. He was the one who ran religious leaders out of the temple for selling diseased supplies for Godly activities. He was the one said sell your possessions and arm up.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

It is right, you should 'turn the other cheek' in any circumstance. These beliefs which state otherwise are just that, beliefs for convenience, so they can be wrong but still be 'right'. Finding the truth is not convenient to human emotion.

Jesus already showed you, the truth is invincible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi

It is a true saying, but I think the context of the teaching is what Christians try to contemplate, before trying to obey the teaching and apply the context of the teaching to their situation.

So I think there is hesitation first, before they consider the application because it is a grey principal area.

However, I believe the intention of that teaching is inform a person that whenever they are harmed, hurt, or injured by someone.

They message is not to respond out of revenge or retaliation.

But if a person is being persecuted for their faith, they must endure it and as you said, be unconditional, bless, be compassionate, and pray for that person(s)

That they may be perfect children, as their heavenly father is perfect.

Peace.

Upvote 0