Iligan City
✟15,612.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today I decided to visit a Methodist church near me. I grew up Methodist, but switched to Baptist when I was 18 and am now 52. I am also a member of a Baptist church in my area, but have felt unhappy there as it is very large and having trouble connecting with others there. The church I visited was much smaller. I noticed that it has a number of different ministries to those in need and I liked that. I thought it might be a good place to serve.

Anyway, the pastor mentioned in his sermon that he is divorced. I was always taught that the Bible teaches the pastor should be the husband of one wife. I have also heard that being divorced would disqualify you from serving as pastor. I don't know the circumstances of his divorce. Otherwise, it was a very traditional service like hundreds of them that I have sat in before. Unlike many other churches they don't have a contemporary service. I did notice no youth there and very few children which is also a concern.

I am not sure how I feel about him being divorced and if that is a deal killer or not. This was only my first time going to that church. The last time I went there they had a female pastor.

I feel you. but for me what should matter the most your faith. in that church, you guys have the same reason why are you there. you guys have the same beliefs. for me instance i have difficulty choosing what i really truly believe. but thanks to laycistercians.com, i did found my faith and i dont have any difficulty on what should i believe.

• Prayers
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Today I decided to visit a Methodist church near me. I grew up Methodist, but switched to Baptist when I was 18 and am now 52. I am also a member of a Baptist church in my area, but have felt unhappy there as it is very large and having trouble connecting with others there. The church I visited was much smaller. I noticed that it has a number of different ministries to those in need and I liked that. I thought it might be a good place to serve.

Anyway, the pastor mentioned in his sermon that he is divorced. I was always taught that the Bible teaches the pastor should be the husband of one wife. I have also heard that being divorced would disqualify you from serving as pastor. I don't know the circumstances of his divorce. Otherwise, it was a very traditional service like hundreds of them that I have sat in before. Unlike many other churches they don't have a contemporary service. I did notice no youth there and very few children which is also a concern.

I am not sure how I feel about him being divorced and if that is a deal killer or not. This was only my first time going to that church. The last time I went there they had a female pastor.
Yea I run into that a lot. I will ask why Christians in acts all lived together and held all things common. Why don't we do that today? The different pastors comments were that didn't work. I am not satisfied with their response.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea I run into that a lot. I will ask why Christians in acts all lived together and held all things common. Why don't we do that today? The different pastors comments were that didn't work. I am not satisfied with their response.
The first christians didn't necessarily live together as a principle, but did band together as they were disowned and displaced by their Jewish families and neighbors ...

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,138.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello Cbowles. One answer I have heard before is that the Jews in Israel at that time were facing an Apocalypse, Jesus prophesied that the temple and the city would be destroyed, as it was in 70AD by the Romans. Their lives would be intense, why hoard property if everything was to be destroyed soon anyway?

Having said that the gentile Christians in the NT were ready to share with other Christians in need, it's a core part of the gospel I think. Perhaps it's a balance- a readiness to help other believers financially but also being wise to keep something invested for the future.

God Bless :)

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They had a real sense of Christian community back at the beginning. In my opinion this was killed off by the requirement of having some kind of regimented agenda whenever we mostly meet. We've lost the ability to interact in ways that allow us to get to know our brothers and sisters in The Lord, deeply enough to really know how each one is faring.

The eldership/pastoral oversight I've encountered in the 37 years as a Christian, since being spiritually born again, has generally been lacking, because they have had to care for too many, or they've been selected to serve because of their loyalty to the church even though they haven't proven themselmselves to be adequately equipped.

The creation of these denominational mega-churches and mass meetings have been detrimental to good quality fellowship.

We need to change the way we meet, and what we do when we meet, back to what prevailed in home based gatherings in the early Christian church. If I had my way, I would force it.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been almost 4 years since I wrote the original post on this thread. I am now going to a non denominational church. It was actually a new church plant that started a little over a year ago.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0