Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today I decided to visit a Methodist church near me. I grew up Methodist, but switched to Baptist when I was 18 and am now 52. I am also a member of a Baptist church in my area, but have felt unhappy there as it is very large and having trouble connecting with others there. The church I visited was much smaller. I noticed that it has a number of different ministries to those in need and I liked that. I thought it might be a good place to serve.

Anyway, the pastor mentioned in his sermon that he is divorced. I was always taught that the Bible teaches the pastor should be the husband of one wife. I have also heard that being divorced would disqualify you from serving as pastor. I don't know the circumstances of his divorce. Otherwise, it was a very traditional service like hundreds of them that I have sat in before. Unlike many other churches they don't have a contemporary service. I did notice no youth there and very few children which is also a concern.

I am not sure how I feel about him being divorced and if that is a deal killer or not. This was only my first time going to that church. The last time I went there they had a female pastor.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It would depend on the reason for the divorce, and when. If it happened before he was saved, then it’s not an issue. Also, if his wife initiated it, or was unfaithful, then I don’t think it’s a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today I decided to visit a Methodist church near me. I grew up Methodist, but switched to Baptist when I was 18 and am now 52. I am also a member of a Baptist church in my area, but have felt unhappy there as it is very large and having trouble connecting with others there. The church I visited was much smaller. I noticed that it has a number of different ministries to those in need and I liked that. I thought it might be a good place to serve.

Anyway, the pastor mentioned in his sermon that he is divorced. I was always taught that the Bible teaches the pastor should be the husband of one wife. I have also heard that being divorced would disqualify you from serving as pastor. I don't know the circumstances of his divorce. Otherwise, it was a very traditional service like hundreds of them that I have sat in before. Unlike many other churches they don't have a contemporary service. I did notice no youth there and very few children which is also a concern.

I am not sure how I feel about him being divorced and if that is a deal killer or not. This was only my first time going to that church. The last time I went there they had a female pastor.

It is the SBC policy (and belief) that pastors/elders who have been divorced cannot enter the pulpit. However, in other Baptist denominations they view the passage referring to either polygamy or that the pulpit should not be occupied by someone unmarried.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is the SBC policy (and belief) that pastors/elders who have been divorced cannot enter the pulpit. However, in other Baptist denominations they view the passage referring to either polygamy or that the pulpit should not be occupied by someone unmarried.
It’s more of an SBC tradition than policy.

• Informative
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, well this was not a SBC church

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been wanting to revisit this Presbyterian church in town, but the last time I was there the preacher (who looked as young as myself) really discouraged me from ever coming back. Sometimes young guys coming straight out of seminary need more time to be disciplined before entering the pulpit. I expected a great service, but it was one of the worst. The sermon was ten minutes and all that he did was complain about the theology of other groups. I was not encouraged at all, made me want to get up and leave. Beautiful, large and spacious building with only 20-30 members.

I might try the independent Presbyterian church in town next time. I use to attend one of the elder's bible studies.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It’s more of an SBC tradition than policy.

It is tradition and policy, they forbid any SBC churches from allowing anyone to enter the pulpit who fit that description.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is tradition and policy, they forbid any SBC churches from allowing anyone to enter the pulpit who fit that description.
That’s not true, but I don’t want to derail the thread.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unlike many other churches they don't have a contemporary service. I did notice no youth there and very few children which is also a concern.
This is the real concern. This church currently does not have much of a future.

If it meets your needs however, and your preferences, you may want to settle there.

I'd look around a bit more though. All Baptist churches are not large, and you can find some very vital community or non-denominational churches.

The labor will be in the searching. The right church for you is out there somewhere.

Give it a focus in your prayer-time too ...

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did he tie in the sermon with the Gospel?
to be honest I thought the sermon was rather weak. He referred to one verse when he could have brought in many others and wasn't holding or looking at his Bible when preaching. He did talk about how much God has forgiven us so we should forgive others

• Agree
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
to be honest I thought the sermon was rather weak. He referred to one verse when he could have brought in many others and wasn't holding or looking at his Bible when preaching...

Perhaps he follows the Lectionary. Many churches/pastors shape their sermon around a specific text of the day, rather than selecting other texts that complement their sermon topic.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps he follows the Lectionary. Many churches/pastors shape their sermon around a specific text of the day, rather than selecting other texts that complement their sermon topic.
I don't know. Do Methodist churches have a lectionary?

• Informative
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to a Baptist church today. They had a youth service with one of the youth preaching so I didn't get to hear the pastor preach. I will go back next week and hopefully hear from the pastor

• Informative
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went to a Baptist church today. They had a youth service with one of the youth preaching so I didn't get to hear the pastor preach. I will go back next week and hopefully hear from the pastor

Keep trying until you find where the Lord wants you to be. It will be worth it :)

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am still going to this same Baptist church since late November. I am not sure if I should join or not. I don't really like the music much in the worship service, but the pastors sermons are pretty good. I did start going to a Sunday School class for men also the last few weeks.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you like the services or not? For me personally the services played a big part in my decision to join a church. I also considered the overall atmosphere as well. What about social network sites like FB? Take a short look at the website. If you truly like what you see, then become a official full time active praying member of the church.
Go to a few local churches, look around the building quickly and then carefully watch or listen to a service then make a decision. Also do not forget to ask the vicar or other members some questions. Pay attention to their responses. It is a good idea to make some notes.

Upvote 0