Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From the headquarters of Deir Anba Antonious in Hurghada, under priest-monk Abaskhiron El Antoni.

Hurghada has the largest number of Russians (some 3,000, though there are supposedly many more who are not officially registered there) in all of Egypt. Had no idea they had translated the Coptic liturgy of St. Basil into Russian, though! This is really neat, though hard for me to understand (and I took Russian lessons for 6-7 years; granted, I am quite rusty by this point, and the pronunciation is obviously from a non-native speaker, but it's still understandable to the point that I can tell what prayer it is; it's part of the peoples' responses during the institution narrative: "Amen, Amen, Amen, Your death, O Lord, We proclaim...").

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Какое Ваше имя на оригинале и как на коптическом? На русском, как Вы наверно знаете, Jeremy русский вариант - вроде "Иеремия", а на церковнославянском - чуть другое написание, вроде "Iepeмiя".
_KZN5950_595.jpg

But when I found out that you were Coptic, I figured that "Dzheremi" was an Egyptian name.

Была ли какая-та причина для твоего большого интереса к русскому языку? Например, из-за того, что Русь исторически православная?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Какое Ваше имя на оригинале и как на коптическом? На русском, как Вы наверно знаете, Jeremy русский вариант - вроде "Иеремия", а на церковнославянском - чуть другое написание, вроде "Iepeмiя".
_KZN5950_595.jpg

But when I found out that you were Coptic, I figured that "Dzheremi" was an Egyptian name.

Была ли какая-та причина для твоего большого интереса к русскому языку? Например, из-за того, что Русь исторически православная?

I'm going to respond in English so that everyone who might read this thread can understand. :)

My name is Jeremy, and I assume in Coptic it would be Ieremias. It is basically the same in Arabic too, and Jeremy is definitely not an Egyptian name. In Egyptian Arabic I would be Eremiya أرميا, and that is what some people in my parish called me, because many dialects of Egyptian Arabic do not have the "J" sound in "Jeremy".

And no, my interest in Russian is not because of Russia's great Orthodox heritage (although it's also not not because of that; my hometown is the closest city to the historic Russian settlement in California known as Fort Ross, which we used to visit as children on school trips and such; so as strange as it is, you could say that my home region is where the Roman Catholic 'mission system' in California met the Russian Orthodox tradition, and we have a few towns in the area with names that are clearly derived from Russian, like Sebastopol). My grandmother went to Russia at the very end of the Soviet period in 1990 or so and came back with many amazing things (including a few icons, which I now own since she passed away several years ago) and stories and pictures, all of which were fascinating to me. Then my stepfather went there after the end of the USSR around 1993 and came back with video of his travels around the country (he was on tour with a rock band as their drummer). I remember watching that footage and being very interested in all of the signs and posters and everything (anything with writing on it). They seemed almost readable, but not quite -- you know how the Cyrillic alphabet has many letters that look like Latin letters, so there is a vague sense of familiarity with it even if you don't know it. I think for young me (I would've been around 12 at the time), it stuck in my brain as something interesting, so when I saw that the local junior college offered Russian language lessons, it probably triggered something in my brain with these old memories of going to Ft. Ross as a young child, or hearing my grandmother talk about going there, or seeing the icons she put up in her house (she was Roman Catholic, though; from Mexico, where there aren't very many Russian Orthodox, obviously), or watching the video footage of my stepfather on a train, passing all of those big signs...so I decided I would try it, and I really enjoyed it for the next 6-7 years (age 18-24). The professor we had at the junior college ended up eventually stopping the course when she got a job as the chair of the Russian department at Stanford, so I can't really blame her for that. :) I miss those days now. Today, many years later (I am in my late 30s now), I wish I had kept up with my studies, because now I am very rusty.

Anyway, this is all very unrelated to the topic, but since you asked... :D

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you will find this interesting then:
English J is a voiced "Ч". In Russian, you can make voiceless consonants voiced, but you need to put a voiced consonant after it to do so.
The English name Temujin (Genghis Khan's real name) has sometimes been spelled in Russian as Темучжин, based maybe on this phonetic principle.

• Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen it written in Russian anywhere, but I have seen it in Mongolian Cyrillic, where it is just ж (Тэмүжин), because I think that letter alone only makes the дж/J sound in native Mongolian words.

Upvote 0