Welcome Preterists and Futurists! Let's hash it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by GodFamilyCountry
Hi.. thanks for that link. That is an interesting website.  Although, I'm not sure it's relevant to my question? I think that is great and creative, but is it the answer to the nations will no more learn war? We do learn war, and are spending much money on how to make war high tech, efficient and extremely precise and deadly. 

What is your opinion on Micah chapter 4? Do preterists believe we are living in that time now?

Thanks![/font] 

GFC,
Though preterists see Micah 4 as being fulfilled in 70 (and so interpret the verses synecdochically and hyperbolically), preterists necessarily infer from that passages, among athers, what is the divine character / nature of the Church. The descriptions of the Church's first-century victory in the world invariable betoken the Church's progressive dominion throughout history. For the Church did not stop being the Church after it was established in 70. Rather, it was born conquering, it was established conquering and it forever conquers to the glory of Christ! The website link I gave is merely a tiny example of the "work in progress".

The goal indeed remains that every man of every nation, through the power of the Gospel, attain unto that for which mankind was created: To love God with all his heart, soul and mind, and his neighbor as himself (Matt. 22:37-39; Mk. 12:30-31; Lk. 10:27-28). We must not think that the continued existence of sin and suffering on earth invalidates the possibility or the perfection of the realization of that goal.

Preterists do not know future events, but we are fully confident in the fact that whatever the conquering Savior pleases to do, He does, on earth as in heaven (Ps. 135:6). And when we consider the divine eternality of the Church on earth and her progressive divine dominion, we know that her future, and hence the future of humanity, will be filled to overflowing with innumerable blessings which are even now utterly impossible for us to grasp. For what wonders will God work in and through His more-than-conquering Church after 10,000 years of ecclesiastical progress, or after 1,000,000 years of victory? Only God can know (Eccl. 3:11). What we do know is that in Christ Jesus our Creator and our Redeemer, the future of mankind on earth under His dominion will surely be "exceeding abundantly" and incomprehensibly wonderful....

"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, unto him be glory in the Church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen" (Eph. 3:20-21).

I hope that helps!
P70

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by JesusServant
Mary tried to touch Him but he said not to because He had yet ascended to the Father.  Obviously if Thomas touched Him He had then in fact ascended.

John 20:17 NKJ
"Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'

The greek for "Cling" or "Touch" here is "Haptomai" which means:
to fasten one's self to, adhere to, cling to.

This is not a simple finger extended "touching" Christ being described here, this is Mary seeing the risin Christ and CLINGING to Him.

Jesus tells her not to Cling to Him, in effect because Both He and She had important work yet to do. They would have an eternity to cling to eachother, but Christ effectively told her to "let go" at that point because there was yet unfinished business they both needed to attend to.

Christ asended to the Father once, and it is recorded for us at the beginning of the Book of the Acts of the Apostles.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.