Welcome Preterists and Futurists! Let's hash it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,

Having just joined CF, and having just been notified that Preterism is restricted to this area, all I really mean to say is "good!"

The issue must have been of great interest, to have generated such an anathema!   After all, non-Christians are welcome to post anywhere, it appears.

Surely Preterists were good ministers of the Word to have defended their view in such an overwhelming way that so profoundly effected otherwise charitable Christian brothers and sisters.

Why is it that people are so insecure about these things? The ones who anathematized Preterists from the rest of the forum admit that they see a lot of prophecy fulfilled in the fall of Jerusalem!! There are also many theologians that these Futurist Christians highly respect who taught the the fall of Jerusalem was the fullest fulfillment of the second advent!

(David Brown  of the Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary - 1858 - so beloved to Futurist Christians, said this: "The coming of the Lord is his coming in judgment against Jerusalem - to destroy itself and its temple, and set up the gospel kingdom in a manner more palpable and free than could be done while Jerusalem was yet standing. I say this application of the words, as their direct and primary sense, will probably startle those unacquainted with the prophetic style. But all hesitation on the subject will cease if we will but allow the Scripture to be its own interpreter. The statement of our Lord, 'Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till these things be fulfilled' puts it, I think, beyond question that the whole range of the prediction was to have an accomplishment before the then race of human beings should all have died from the face of the earth.")

So, if nothing else, let us discuss just HOW MANY prophecies were fulfilled in the first century. Isn't this entirely reasonable?

Perhaps Futurist Christians cannot attack the Biblical arguments of Preterism using the Bible, finding themselves appealing only to tradition or their upbringing. Perhaps the real reason behind the "anathema" is the bleating of consciences caused by the power of the Word of God has in reveling the errors of their ever-anticipatory theology.

If this is not the case, then they will join in with our discussions in this forum, which will become hot again as iron sharpens iron. If they are too insecure, they will simply try to ignore the discussions. Either way, true Bereans will be edified.

Be that as it may, the discussion MUST continue! Perhaps there is no other area of Christian theology that NEEDS to be hammered out so badly. There has NEVER been any type of church council or broad gathering to address the issue of eschatology in the history of the Church.   Unscriptural tradition has simply been passed down from generation to generation.

It takes a lot of hammering, too, considering the amount of tradition that prances around as Biblical truth. So be patient!

Above all, the charity and kindly love will reveal which view is actually based on the gospel, for we will know the truest Christian doctrine by its love.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling again. Feel free to ask questions, or make comments -- especially critical arguments against the view of past fulfillment of Christ's purposes!  =)

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟10,967.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

I hope that I won't end up regretting this, but in pursuit of my never-ending desire to learn, I'd like to ask:

1) What exactly is the difference between Preterists & Futurists?

2) Please explain it in layman's terms.

3) Please no "witnessing" at me.

4) Is Mario Lemiuex hot stuff or what?

Be well!

ssv :wave:

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by PreteristArchive
The issue must have been of great interest, to have generated such an anathema!   After all, non-Christians are welcome to post anywhere, it appears.

Non Christians post only in Open Discussion & Debate area.

Why would a non Christian post anywhere else?

Also I never heard of your faith. What is your belief statement?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by stillsmallvoice
Hi all!

I hope that I won't end up regretting this, but in pursuit of my never-ending desire to learn, I'd like to ask:

1) What exactly is the difference between Preterists & Futurists?

2) Please explain it in layman's terms.

3) Please no "witnessing" at me.

4) Is Mario Lemiuex hot stuff or what?

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Hi ssv.:)

Very basically, Preterists believe that Jesus Christ returned to earth in 70AD. Futurists believe that Jesus Christ will return to earth at a future date. Of course their is a lot more detail, but that's the basics.:) Preterism is not a new belief, but it has become "popular" since the new Millennium. There aren't that many people who believe in Preterism, compared to the total # of all Christians.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hank,

I am not a Preterist but from what I understand from my brief dialogues with some who hold to this belief is that they believe that all prophecies such as those found in Matthew 24 and the Book of Revelations. I am pretty sure PreteristArchive can give a more detailed description of his/her belief.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Auntie, Jesaiah, Annabelle, Hank, stillsmallvoice

Many thanks for writing. It is great to hear from you all!

The main difference between Preterists and Futurists is that the former believes that Jesus Christ was completely successful in overcoming His enemies in the first century, while the latter believe that He has had to wait 2,000 plus years now.

They main reason there is such a wide difference of opinion is that Futurists embrace a method of Bible study that is only focused on the temporal realm, while Preterists employ a hermeneutic which recognizes both temporal and spiritual truths. Confer with Galatians 4:20-24 as an example of find 'higher truth' than simply what a temporalizing method will reveal.

Another main difference is that Preterists believe the "last days" to be those of the Old Covenant, while Futurists believe the "last days" to be of either the New Covenant, or of the earth, depending on where they place the "thousand years" of Revelation 20.

Preterists appeal solely to the Word of God for the authority behind these statements, focusing on the unambiguous words of Jesus such as these:

Matthew 24:34 "This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Matthew 10:23 "Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come."

Matt. 16:27-28 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Not coincidentally, the end of the Old Covenant age did end in the space of that generation, when the Romans utterly desolated the Jewish nation during the seven-year Roman-Jewish war of AD66-73.

It was at that time that Christ's doctrine scored the knock-out blow over His enemies, putting Christianity on a forward trajectory to overcome all other religions and nations of the world. The last 2,000 years of Christian History bear out the fact that Christ has conquered the world, and is slowly but surely bringing the world into a knowledge of Him. According to Isaiah 9:7 this is a promise of the zeal of the Lord of Hosts, so we should not be too quick to declare His plan a failure!

There are many other issues that are related, but the "last days" issue is the key that unlocks everything, especially the book of Revelation  (cf. Heb 8:13; Rev 1:1,3,7 "they which pierced Him"!).   In I John 2:18, the apostle claims that they were in the "last hour." Only the stubbornness of Futurism would unflinchingly claim that this hour has lasted over 2,000 years now.

Jesus' very credibility rests on this issue. Indeed, many non-Christians use this supposed non-occurence of prophecy as a pretext for the non-deity of Christ. Therefore, it is a subject worthy of intense study. If you are willing to be a Berean about this, the Truth becomes self-apparent rather quickly. The Word of God must supercede tradition and comfort.

Thanks for the great questions!

• Informative
Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
deja vu ? You bet , and for those who are naive and gullible please enter the twilight zone of yester year .

Fresh blood is needed and the recruitment drive is on .

http://server3.ikonboard.com/Cropper/ikonboard.cgi

If you have recently recieved a labotomy then you may find yourself at home at this preterist web site , ( please note all user names  )

• Informative
Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Preterists also believe that those who are living in Israel currently are not really Jews, but imposters or fakes. The preterists believe that christians are the true Jews, and that the real Jews have been cut off.

But God's word says that Israel will go through a hardening of their hearts until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. Jerusalem will be trodden underfoot until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. Sound familiar?? Now check this verse out:

Romans 11:25 - "I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in."

Has God ever finished with the Gentiles?? Heavens, no!!
What nonsense!! The truth is : that the church and Israel have two different functions. Israel, (the remnant that God will protect for the last 42 months of the tribulation), will remain in their mortal bodies and re-populate the earth in Christ' 1000 yr reign. This protection will begin after the abomination that causes desolation. The remnant (1/3 of the Jews), will run to the mountains and God will protect them. This is how God is going to keep His promise to Abraham, and it was and will be an everlasting covenant. That means forever!!

Christ will come for His bride before the tribulation begins. Then after the rapture, martyrs will reject the mark of the beast and hold on to their testimonies of Christ and be saved. After the last martyr has given his life, this will complete the times of the Gentiles. Both the martyred and those raptured will be in heaven. They will return with Christ in new immortal bodies to rule and reign with Christ for 1000 years, while Israel will labor in their fleshly bodies. The Messiah will rule and Israel will live in peace for 1000 years. This is the kingdom that the Jews have been longing for. The remnant will receive Christ as their Messiah after the abomination of desolation, but it will be too late to be part of the church.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Originally posted by Brian45
deja vu ? You bet , and for those who are naive and gullible please enter the twilight zone of yester year .

Fresh blood is needed and the recruitment drive is on .

If you have recently recieved a labotomy then you may find yourself at home at this preterist web site , ( please note all user names  )

Brian45 why don't you join us in the twilight zone of yester year so we can see how will you defend the traditional teachings of men.
That is if you dear. :p  

We will not have to thank about anyone asking us to leave there, like they do here, because we can back up our views. :o

Come on Join us there, the other Futurist brothers are not really doing a good jod, and we can really use some new blood :cool:

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by 1ManifestationA.D.70
Brian45 why don't you join us in the twilight zone of yester year so we can see how will you defend the traditional teachings of men.
That is if you dear. :p  

We will not have to thank about anyone asking us to leave there, like they do here, because we can back up our views. :o

Come on Join us there, the other Futurist brothers are not really doing a good jod, and we can really use some new blood :cool:

Thank you very much for your kind invitation , unfortunatly I have not yet been labotamized to be able to enter your twilight zone .

If for whatever reason I should loose my mind , I will come a knockin on your door .

You have lots of spelling mistakes , is that your labotomy showing  ?                :)

• Informative
Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your kind invitation , unfortunatly I have not yet been labotamized to be able to enter your twilight zone .

If for whatever reason I should loose my mind , I will come a knockin on your door .

You have lots of spelling mistakes , is that your labotomy showing  ?                :)

I do understand brother.  Not to many futurist dear enter into the land of the twilight zone for fear of preterist showing that their views of Scripture is from (toon town) :D

• Informative
Upvote 0

Believe me brother I do understand.  Not to many futurist dear enter into the twilight zone for fear of preterist showing their views of scripture are from (toon town) and not the Bible :cry:

• Informative
Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by 1ManifestationA.D.70
Believe me brother I do understand.  Not to many futurist dear enter into the twilight zone for fear of preterist showing their views of scripture are from (toon town) and not the Bible :cry:

I know you like me but could you please stop calling me dear , I have a reputation to uphold and I don't want people thinking that I'm easy or cheap and going to fall for the first guy that calls me dear .

If you wish to know me better try  flowers , choclates or say nice things to me , maybe ask me out , but please refrain from calling me dear , it makes you seem like you want to be my husband and for that to happen you are going to have to work a lot harder than that darling  .   xxoxoooxxx                               :D

• Informative
Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by PreteristArchive
Preterists appeal solely to the Word of God for the authority behind these statements, focusing on the unambiguous words of Jesus such as these:

Matthew 24:34 "This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Matthew 10:23 "Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come."

Matt. 16:27-28 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Do Preterists truly "appeal solely to the Word of God for the authority behind these statements" or do they appeal solely on their personal INTERPRETATION  of WHAT the WORD of God says INSTEAD of "comparing spiritual things with spiritual" as apostle Paul teaches in 1 Cor. 2:13?

Re: Matthew 24:34 - was Jesus LITERALLY referring to the GENERATION of Jews DURING his time and up to 70 AD? I don't think so.

The Old Testament was written hundred of years before Jesus was born yet what was written there was applicable in Jesus' time and is still applicable to this day. The New Testament is the same. It was applicable in Jesus' time, it is applicable today and will still be applicable tomorrow UNTIL judgment day comes.

The New Testament is a REVELATION of what HAS happened, what is HAPPENING and what WILL happpen in the future. And as long as the heavens and the earth and all the works that are in it have NOT melted with fervent heat....

Jesus has NOT yet come to gather his elect (Matt. 24:30-31)  to bring them to the heavenly place that he is preparing for them (John 14:3).

Re: Matthew 16:27-28 - This speaks of JUDGMENT DAY or "END of the world" when the Son of Man comes and sends his angels to gather the elect (Matthew 24:30:31).

This is the day spoken of by apostle Peter in 2 Peter 3:7 and 10 when the heavens and the earth that now exist will pass away with a great noise and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

This is the day spoken of by apostle Paul when people who do NOT know God and do NOT obey the gospel of Jesus will be PUNISHED with everlasting destruction (2 Thess. 1:8-9). These people will DIE when they SEE Jesus come again (Matthew 16:28).

On the other hand, this is the day for people who are "IN Christ" (dead and alive) will be CAUGHT UP in the clouds to MEET Jesus in the air (1 Thess. 4:16-17).

Jesus' very credibility rests on this issue. Indeed, many non-Christians use this supposed non-occurence of prophecy as a pretext for the non-deity of Christ. Therefore, it is a subject worthy of intense study. If you are willing to be a Berean about this, the Truth becomes self-apparent rather quickly. The Word of God must supercede tradition and comfort.

What you are saying is precisely what apostle Peter warned against when he wrote 2 Peter chapter 3. Please study it carefully then tell us how your Preterist's view lines up with what the Bible CLEARLY teaches.

Ed

• Informative
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.