Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is the first time I have ever shared this and I am not sure how this will go. IN 1995 I was in College and I was in a homiletics class (preaching). I had to preach a sermon to fulfill my requirements for my class. I was driving up to my church to preach, it was about an hour from where I went to school, on my way up there I had a very, very bizarre incident. As I am driving up to preach. I had this power start jolting me. It was like I was being shock but I was not shocked. It was like something in grabbed in side of my chest and started jolting me around. I could not resist it and I could not control it. I am not sure if it was the Lord of if it was Satan. it went on for 2 or 3 minutes and then stopped. I felt like something was saying stop this is not the right way. After it stopped I contiuned on my way and had a very bad sermon. Does anyone know what this was.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the first time I have ever shared this and I am not sure how this will go. IN 1995 I was in College and I was in a homiletics class (preaching). I had to preach a sermon to fulfill my requirements for my class. I was driving up to my church to preach, it was about an hour from where I went to school, on my way up there I had a very, very bizarre incident. As I am driving up to preach. I had this power start jolting me. It was like I was being shock but I was not shocked. It was like something in grabbed in side of my chest and started jolting me around. I could not resist it and I could not control it. I am not sure if it was the Lord of if it was Satan. it went on for 2 or 3 minutes and then stopped. I felt like something was saying stop this is not the right way. After it stopped I contiuned on my way and had a very bad sermon. Does anyone know what this was.
It sounds demonic to me. When demons attack someone "physically" then it can feel like electricity. They also tend to jolt people around.
It sounds like a demon attacked you right before the sermon to scare you and give you doubts and to cause you to fail at it.

Whenever God has warned me about something, He has given me a very strong conviction and at the same time made me very aware that it is Him speaking. If He really wanted to stop you, which I would see no reason to, then He would have done something that would have stopped you.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is your idea of a bad sermon? not too many people clapped at the end?

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went to a seminar the night before and I was wondering if it was god's way of shutting the door and saying go back to the the follow up seminar they were having the next day. I did not go and the sermon sucked I was wiped out.

Upvote 0

Choir Loft

Jan 27, 2018
Tampa
✟15,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It sounds demonic to me. When demons attack someone "physically" then it can feel like electricity. They also tend to jolt people around.
It sounds like a demon attacked you right before the sermon to scare you and give you doubts and to cause you to fail at it.

Whenever God has warned me about something, He has given me a very strong conviction and at the same time made me very aware that it is Him speaking. If He really wanted to stop you, which I would see no reason to, then He would have done something that would have stopped you.

I tend to agree with you on this.

The testimony of an electric charge is definitely demonic. It was not of God.

The statement of a poor sermon delivery is subjective. It's been my experience that the one delivering the sermon often times has a different impression of its' impact than those who hear it.

I wonder if the congregation has been asked for their impression.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft..

• Agree
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Things that come from God should give you peace and righteousness.

Maybe there is cursing taking place and you need spiritual warfare in action.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I tend to agree with you on this.

The testimony of an electric charge is definitely demonic. It was not of God.

The statement of a poor sermon delivery is subjective. It's been my experience that the one delivering the sermon often times has a different impression of its' impact than those who hear it.

I wonder if the congregation has been asked for their impression.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft..
This is why so many pastors resort to requesting specific responses from the congregation.

"Can I hear an 'Amen'?"
"Say to the person next to you, 'God loves you!'"
"Let me see a raise of hands."

It's because of a perceived lack of interest in the subject, which may not at all be an accurate assessment! Or sometimes a lack of confidence the preacher has about his own sermons. Personally, I see it as a warning sign because either the pastor isn't currently hearing God's voice like he wants to (which may or may not be related to some kind of sin that needs to be dealt with) or the pastor is in danger of seeking the congregation's approval too much.

In your case, probably a lack of confidence contributed. But, really, it's impossible to say if someone was or wan't affected by your sermon.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was it spiritual or maybe something physical?
both, it was something that effect my spirit and the effect on my body was like shaking, but not shaking. like how electricity affect a person when they are struck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,153.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it was demonic. You were going to a homiletics class, and I suppose the devil or more likely a demon wanted to discourage you. The last thing they'd want would be another preacher. By your own admission you had a bad homily, no doubt affected by your negative experience.

But you persevered, which is the important thing.

On a different note, when I was still a new Christian, having come out of a somewhat negative and sometimes immoral background, I was driving down to our church one night, heading for the gym we had under the church, which was a draw card for a number of young people.

I got a bit pally and familiar in my mind with God. The next thing I knew, this sense of anger descended on me. I literally felt like I was going to disintegrate. Very unpleasant. I had to pull over into a side street until it subsided a couple of minutes later. I was too shaken to continue to the gym, so I drove home again.

On a side note, CS Lewis has one of his characters in his Dr. Ransom SF Fantasy series ("Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength") saying that he (Ransom) could easily be "unmade", and that's just how I felt. In fact I wonder if CS Lewis might not have had a similar experience at some point, and incorporated it into one of his novels rather than just talking about it as fact.

I don't have any doubt your experience was real, and spiritually caused.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

When a demon leaves a person, does he also feel the electricity and jolt?

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it was demonic. You were going to a homiletics class, and I suppose the devil or more likely a demon wanted to discourage you. The last thing they'd want would be another preacher. By your own admission you had a bad homily, no doubt affected by your negative experience.

But you persevered, which is the important thing.

I agree with this completely.

It sounds like a spiritual attack of some kind. Personally, I believe that a physical impact is possible even if the attack is initially spiritual. This may have been done to instill fear.

I am not a preacher or a priest, so the pressures I feel are likely much smaller than yours. Lies and distractions are powerful weapons. I can't imagine what it is like for a pastor, a priest, or especially a monk/nun in this fight. They may likely be subject even to demonic possession in this fight if the battle gets intense enough.

For me it happens when I sit to read my bible, or when I try to pray . Although it does not happen each time, when it does, its usually distractions, irritation, muscle/body discomforts, random thoughts regarding the world, feelings of entitlement, etc. This at times has grown even to anger and vile and sickening thoughts in particular regarding Mary on my part.

It took me a long time to recognize what this was and to be able to see it as such and to openly say out loud 'not this time' to whatever entity was perpetrating this attack on me. Saying this out loud often helps in my case for some reason.

At times this gets strong enough that all I can do is say the Jesus Prayer using my prayer rope over one hundred knots. After this my mind is typically cleared enough that I can pray freely in my own words.

Perseverance is indeed the point here.

Trust God, pray, and let Him lead you.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

If that was from the dark side...... that would mean that they really, really, really do NOT want you preaching.

If that was from God..... your thinking that your sermon went badly might turn out to have been you being way too hard on yourself.

My feeling is that you had a genuine spiritual experience that indicates that God wants you preaching and teaching.

For some back up on how this is a fairly normal experience you might want to listen to Kevin Zadai on youtube. He says that it is common for a preacher to feel amazing energy and inspiration while preaching. Unusual experiences like that before preaching may be more common than we realize.

I walked away thinking about this and got hit with this verse.....

Zechariah 4:6 "Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts."

Some of the most powerfully guided pastors I know change their sermons at the last moment when the Holy Spirit leads them in a different direction........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Paula White just sent out an email about the two spirits that attack the church, Jezebel and the bulk of her letter Leviathan, the word twisting multi-headed spirit mentioned in Psalm 74:13,14. And she is on youtube with Dr Lance Wallnau.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums