Weird feeling while Praying - Not sure what it is.....

Oct 4, 2017
Washington
✟8,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, I have been noticing this more and more.

Every time (well almost) I pray I feel something unexplainable go through my body. It's almost like a chill but not really. I can't fully explain it. It's around the shoulder/ core of my body. I actually twitch or "shiver". That usually does not happen to me unless I pray!!

It's so odd... Yet I feel like there is a reason for it.

I had to share this because it just strikes me as odd. Not in a bad way... I guess it's just an unknown odd.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Every time (well almost) I pray I feel something unexplainable go through my body. It's almost like a chill but not really. I can't fully explain it. It's around the shoulder/ core of my body. I actually twitch or "shiver". That usually does not happen to me unless I pray!!

I had to share this because it just strikes me as odd. Not in a bad way... I guess it's just an unknown odd.

Does it "distract" you from the living God?

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

back then i use to feel the very same thing, i was upon bended knee before the late night moon, i expressed my remorse for my ignorance of the bigger picture and asked for guidance, i felt a sharp chill creep up my spine, as if i was growing suddenly cold, or that i was embarrassed, i wasn't sure which. in the book of Genesis verse 13:14 there is a quote that i believe shall shed light on the matter, "And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward" God is everywhere, keep your faith hold true to prayer and the feeling will subside.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, it makes me wonder if that is the Holy Spirit?

It sounds distracting.

God's Holy Spirit does not distract from the living God, but draws us closer to the living God, evidenced by peace, stillness, clarity, and renewal of heart, mind, and spirit, which is in sync with God's presence.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It COULD be ... but it also could very well be something else that can serve as a distraction, temptation to pride, etc. That is a common problem, and isn't helped when people are quick to praise you for your spirituality. Even if it were the Holy Spirit, such statements are easy for the enemy to use to begin to tempt you to pride. We must always be wary.

The best thing is not to focus too much on it. Focus on Christ instead. If it's from God, it will bear whatever fruit God means it to bear. If it's not from God, you won't be feeding into the enemy's deceit.

And welcome to CF! We are glad that you have joined us. :)

God be with you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By the way ... I think I will add this.

My SF refers to such things as "sweets" when they do legitimately come from God. Of course He loves us, and of course He wants us to pray. It is common for people when they begin to seek God in prayer to feel these things. If it draws you to God, it can be a good thing, and is something God frequently gives as a little blessing. But a warning here - there can be a risk of getting a bit too focused on it and even a little addicted to it even if it is from God, so He generally withdraws them after the initial stage. The risk is that we want them back, and that is a matter of seeking what God can give us rather than God Himself. (This usually corresponds with a prolonged period of growing and maturing in Christ.) It is usually a long time before God begins to give them again, and then not because we want them, but perhaps because we need them or perhaps because we are no longer swayed by them.

If it is from God, it tends to be like that.

Other explanations can introduce temptation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My first responce or thinking is that God is warmth because He is life and light. The devil on the other hand is cold because He symbolizes death and He has been known to suck warmth out of people and send a chill into people, like making them cold by some reason, if we get deceived. So I would advise You to pray for protection, Ef 6. My guess is that the devil is loosing His grip of You and does not like that and might try to distract You in this way (or it might be a simple thing as Your body tighthen up or You might be sitting in some strange uncomfortable position too long. )But if it is the first thing, a spiritual matter, consider through prayer, You are getting closer to God and I believe You should not stop getting near to God, or praying to God, tell the devil to Go away and leave You alone in the name of Jesus. The blood of Jesus was sacrificed for You and should keep You free from the devil. Ask the Holy Spirit to strengthen You in Your prayer so you will not feel in any way odd but feel Gods presence in a good way. Have a lot of patience and ask the Lord to help You with this problem. God bless You and Keep You.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My first responce or thinking is that God is warmth because He is life and light. The devil on the other hand is cold because He symbolizes death and He has been known to suck warmth out of people and send a chill into people, like making them cold by some reason, if we get deceived. So I would advise You to pray for protection, Ef 6. My guess is that the devil is loosing His grip of You and does not like that and might try to distract You in this way (or it might be a simple thing as Your body tighthen up or You might be sitting in some strange uncomfortable position too long. )But if it is the first thing, a spiritual matter, consider through prayer, You are getting closer to God and I believe You should not stop getting near to God, or praying to God, tell the devil to Go away and leave You alone in the name of Jesus. The blood of Jesus was sacrificed for You and should keep You free from the devil. Ask the Holy Spirit to strengthen You in Your prayer so you will not feel in any way odd but feel Gods presence in a good way. Have a lot of patience and ask the Lord to help You with this problem. God bless You and Keep You.

prayer is one of the many ways we can keep our faith and relationship with God, so it is vital we pray every day, and the more we pray the more we wear our prayer like armor and it will strengthen us

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I pray that it is. The Holy Spirit can bring a lot of things into a relationship, it can be peace for sure but it also can be enlightenment, discernment, a sense of energy going forward in a new understanding, uplifted feeling so to speak . Depends where you are in your walk and what He is doing with you. Also conviction, can't forget that. It's very powerful stuff. I can get a sense of excitement that radiates out from my heart when I get in/with the Spirit. I wouldn't call it distracting, it's more recognition and excitement that there is that fellowship. It's awesome when it happens and I'm probably about to learn something. ! But you want to test the spirit, you are right to ask, because we can get false witnesses ministering to us or just ideas of our own mind..

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On the other hand If You are that kind of person that have a lower bodytemperature and feel comfortable in hot countries or greenhouses but usually freeze in colder climates it might be in the genes. Even siblings can be different. I and my sister are very different, she can wear a top and shorts when I need a three pairs of pants and pullowers. However I thrive in moist and hot climate where others usually faint after some hours. I rarely ever get a fewer but circulation is ok if I wear woolly socks, low bloodpressure. It is a mystery to me. Worst part is that we have a low temperature in the house so I am always having a lot of clothes on and I live in one of the coldest countries on earth. Trick is exercise when it gets too cold. That will make You warm. But who am I to judge How the holy spirit manifest Himself to another person. I might personnaly not like cold, since I live in a cold country and cold is the deadly enemy. In another country the heat in the desert might be deadly and a cold drink might feel like heaven or a cool breeze or the rain so my instinct might not be right. Better pray and ask God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I pray that it is. The Holy Spirit can bring a lot of things into a relationship, it can be peace for sure but it also can be enlightenment, discernment, a sense of energy going forward in a new understanding, uplifted feeling so to speak . Depends where you are in your walk and what He is doing with you. Also conviction, can't forget that. It's very powerful stuff. I can get a sense of excitement that radiates out from my heart when I get in/with the Spirit. I wouldn't call it distracting, it's more recognition and excitement that there is that fellowship. It's awesome when it happens and I'm probably about to learn something. ! But you want to test the spirit, you are right to ask, because we can get false witnesses ministering to us or just ideas of our own mind..

I agree about "testing the spirits". It's what we are admonished to do.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God:" ~I John 4:1

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 4, 2017
Washington
✟8,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree about "testing the spirits". It's what we are admonished to do.

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God:" ~I John 4:1
What does it mean to test the spirits?

I mainly get these feelings when I am very vulnerable/honest with God.. Its not a conviction feeling though.. I only get this feeling when I pray/read the bible/try to be close to God..

I don't have family members who are Christian so I don't have anyone to ask about these feelings. I have friends who are christian, though, so perhaps I can ask them if they encountered something like that..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
After I became born again I was convicted of alcohol. I never drank a whole lot but I was consuming two glasses of red wine every night. The Spirit was working a lot with me at this time in my life. Suddenly without warning, those two glasses of wine would make me freezing cold, beyond a natural kind of cold but the kind of cold that comes over you when you are sick and there is no way to warm yourself up. I stopped the wine and it went away. i dumped out every bottle of wine around the house knowing it had to go. So about two months later my wife and I were out to dinner and I thought I would try a glass of wine, maybe it wasn't the spirit, HAH !. I drank two swallows, from down inside me deep came heat that ran to my face. I did not drink any more and have not had a sip since. This experience is why I say that alcohol is the tool of the devil. I honestly and truly believe this was a work of the Spirit. I do not need alcohol in my life and I never did.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What does it mean to test the spirits?

I mainly get these feelings when I am very vulnerable/honest with God
It simply means to question the source, support it with scripture. As mentioned distractions are generally not from the spirit. But there are times when He is bringing us in line, we call it under conviction. One physical way I test for the Spirit is to tell Satan to be gone from my presence . The Spirit won't leave, your own thoughts or the devil might.

Upvote 0