Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have no clue about what's been going on in your life so far, so my response is based on your decision alone.

Educating yourself in critical thinking, to balance the voice of the Holy Spirit is shear foolishness.
That action is precisely the action Adam took in the Garden of Eden. In his desire to be like God, he ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good or Evil.
He could have eaten of the Tree of Life, instead he chose the Tree of Death.

Human intellect or reason is the enemy of God.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For everyone, and that includes Christians, critical thinking and education are absolutely indispensable. It is an "innoculation" against charlatans of every sort. Yes, there are Christian charlatans too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Left
Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I have a hunch we aren't really allowed to debate or debate much in this board, but...

You used human intellect and reason in your post. You told me a story from the Bible, then made some conclusions from it. As far as I'm concerned... that's human intellect and reason.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry Francis, that is not entirly true.
A mind that has been transformed by the power of God can test and aprove what God's will is.

The problem is so often our minds have not been influenced let alone transformed by Gods word and Spirit.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
try to make my life better by getting some books (besides the Bible as well) and becoming a better critical thinker.

Critical and logical thinking is difficult, can I encourage you to read the bible. To read it with daily study notes, to read it with a study guide and to prayfully to read it.

As I've said to Francis, we need to let Gods word transform our minds. By that I don't mean to be brain wasahed but to so know what the bible teaches that we can know the principals it teaches for how to live to serve God.

Oh for logical thinking try the reasonablefaith web site.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to try to make my life better by getting some books (besides the Bible as well) and becoming a better critical thinker.

I recommend that you read C.S.Lewis, an atheist turned believer, who had a very clear and critical mind. In his book "God in the Dock" he takes up issues like miracles, dogma and the universe, myth become fact, the laws of nature, and other interesting topics. I like reading him because he usually has a different twist. He has a lot of other good books. You don't have to agree with everything he writes, but you may enjoy him - he was an intellectual, and admitted he had trouble communicating his faith with regular soldiers (privates) in the army. But a lot of Christians have learned a lot from him.

Reactions: Left
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In his desire to be like God, he ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good or Evil.

Yes, he doubted God and thereafter was disobedience. But notice what it says in Genesis 3:22 - AFTER his sin: 'Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil;..."'

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have a hunch we aren't really allowed to debate or debate much in this board, but...

You used human intellect and reason in your post. You told me a story from the Bible, then made some conclusions from it. As far as I'm concerned... that's human intellect and reason.
Not so, human reasoning exalts human reasoning, something scripture decries and I decry.

If you seek knowledge or understanding apart from God, then that's human reasoning, accumulated tree of knowledge stuff. There's nothing wrong in that, but atheists and Satanists can do it just as well as a believer.

Our own human understanding and reason is of itself no value in spiritual terms. That's why Jesus made it clear that a child can enter the kingdom of Heaven easier than an adult.

Proverbs3v5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Leaning to our own understanding stands in opposition to God's freely offered wisdom.

6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
If we put aside that which is sourced in ourselves, and seek that which God offers, then God will direct us. Not otherwise.

7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
Being "wise in our own eyes" is the natural carnal human reasoning.

Reactions: Joy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Yes, he doubted God and thereafter was disobedience. But notice what it says in Genesis 3:22 - AFTER his sin: 'Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil;..."'
And your point is?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is actually quite straight forward according to scripture. That no man can do a miracle in Jesus name then soon after doing it speak ill, or incorrectly of Jesus.

Mark 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man who shall do a mighty work in my name, and be able quickly to speak evil of me.

We should not be trying to discredit miracles that happen in ministries. We should be focused on seeing them for our selves. That we too may have the recommendation of Jesus, that "this man/woman will not speak ill of me". If there are fakes be the genuine.

Upvote 0