Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Tony B .... I think you'll enjoy this. I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

You … I have appointed sentinel … when you hear me … warn them for me. …
I will hold you responsible.
—Ezekiel 33:7-8

Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
—Matthew 18:18

Returning from Europe in the midst of WWII, Thomas Kelly, a Quaker, wrote the little book, A Testament of Devotion, now a spiritual classic. In one of its poignant essays, he states words that ring true almost 80 years later, "An awful solemnity is upon the earth, for the last vestige of earthly security is gone. It has always been gone, and religion has always said so, but we haven't believed it. … and there is no escape for you or for me. There is an inexorable amount of suffering in all life, blind, aching, unremovable, not new but only terribly intensified in these days."

Thomas Kelley speaks of bearing the burden of your suffering which must be and can only be borne by you. He poetically notes, "The heart is stretched through suffering, and enlarged. But O the agony of this enlarging of the heart, that one may be prepared to enter into the anguish of others!"

And, herein is the essence of his message: that we are to enter into our own suffering as well as the suffering of others, build up what needs to be lifted, and loosen the burdens of those around us. Further, for this work – which is real work – we are responsible and accountable.

"Within the wider fellowship emerges the special circle of a few on whom, for each of us, a particular emphasis of nearness has fallen. These are our special gift and task. These we 'carry' by inward, wordless prayer. By an interior act and attitude we lift them repeatedly before the throne and hold them there in power. This is work, real labor of the soul.

It takes energy but it is done in joy. … From each individual the bonds of special fellowship radiate near and far. The total effect, in a living Church is sufficient intersection of these bonds to form a supporting, carrying network of love for the whole of humankind. … It is as if the boundaries of our self were enlarged, as if we were within them and as if they were within us."

Principle (Examen)

Again, we are called – appointed, says the prophet – to form a worldwide network of lifting up humanity "before the throne" on the altars of our hearts, in the power of Christ, in the radiance of love-incarnate.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

What a great read, and I love your interpretations and observations too...all very nicely put.

Yep, what is described here is how we Christians should be caring for each other. Shouldering each others' burdens, lifting each other up in prayer and encouragements, and yes, even admonishing each other, in love/from a loving spirit. Jesus said that if we do this, have a true and active love for each other, then the world will know we are truly His followers/disciples. Sorry to end on a negative note, but it begs the question of us, if we don't do these things for each other, then what are we?

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, we are called – appointed, says the prophet – to form a worldwide network of lifting up humanity "before the throne" on the altars of our hearts, in the power of Christ, in the radiance of love-incarnate

This, in my opinion Bella, is an aspect of our priestly service. Thank you for raising it. It is always good to be reminded!

Shalom, Tony

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thomas Kelley speaks of bearing the burden of your suffering which must be and can only be borne by you. He poetically notes, "The heart is stretched through suffering, and enlarged. But O the agony of this enlarging of the heart, that one may be prepared to enter into the anguish of others!"

I think this is essential training in order for us to be able to empathise with those around us that are suffering...it's the trait I would look for in a pastor/shepherd/overseer/bishop/elder (they're synonyms in my opinion).

Thanks for sharing these insights Bella, I admire your interest in them, and like you, I find them very edifying too.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Tony B .... I think you'll enjoy this. I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

You … I have appointed sentinel … when you hear me … warn them for me. …
I will hold you responsible.
—Ezekiel 33:7-8

Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
—Matthew 18:18

Returning from Europe in the midst of WWII, Thomas Kelly, a Quaker, wrote the little book, A Testament of Devotion, now a spiritual classic. In one of its poignant essays, he states words that ring true almost 80 years later, "An awful solemnity is upon the earth, for the last vestige of earthly security is gone. It has always been gone, and religion has always said so, but we haven't believed it. … and there is no escape for you or for me. There is an inexorable amount of suffering in all life, blind, aching, unremovable, not new but only terribly intensified in these days."

And, herein is the essence of his message: that we are to enter into our own suffering as well as the suffering of others, build up what needs to be lifted, and loosen the burdens of those around us. Further, for this work – which is real work – we are responsible and accountable.

"Within the wider fellowship emerges the special circle of a few on whom, for each of us, a particular emphasis of nearness has fallen. These are our special gift and task. These we 'carry' by inward, wordless prayer. By an interior act and attitude we lift them repeatedly before the throne and hold them there in power. This is work, real labor of the soul.

It takes energy but it is done in joy. … From each individual the bonds of special fellowship radiate near and far. The total effect, in a living Church is sufficient intersection of these bonds to form a supporting, carrying network of love for the whole of humankind. … It is as if the boundaries of our self were enlarged, as if we were within them and as if they were within us."

Principle (Examen)

Again, we are called – appointed, says the prophet – to form a worldwide network of lifting up humanity "before the throne" on the altars of our hearts, in the power of Christ, in the radiance of love-incarnate.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

I've given up everything for Him Bella, I don't need to read that book. As pompous as this may sound, I suspect I've lived it. Thank you for sharing though, it's much appreciated. :blush:

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This, in my opinion Bella, is an aspect of our priestly service. Thank you for raising it. It is always good to be reminded!

Tony B,

You're welcome. :)

It is difficult to focus on the world's cares when you're inundated with your own. Distraction forces others to do your part and theirs too. The structure is weakened over time.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What a great read, and I love your interpretations and observations too...all very nicely put.

Sorry Bella, I don't think I explained myself well here. I meant that the way you presented the extracts from the writer's writings, and your own thoughts etc, were a good read. I didn't say that to earn brownie points from you, it was just a presentation of fact.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tony B,

I view the alabaster’s breaking as a fundamental step. But yielding never happens all at once. Every rung takes us deeper in Him. We see what lies ahead but rarely know what He’ll ask.

I believe surrender is progressive and approach it as daily bread. While I aim to do His will there are moments when my own wins out. Every instance of ‘mine‘ is an unyielded place within me. Obedience is better than sacrifice.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Yep. And as the apostle says, we all need to work out our own salvation (and relationship with God) with all fear and trembling, being careful not to be flippant or careless about that in any way.

His relationship with each of us is beautifully unique, just as is the one between a godly earthy father and his child.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspective Bella.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I originally skimmed the message the highlighted portion stood out. A closer read yielded the same and I knew the Lord was nudging me towards it. I've contemplated the words from different angles to determine the lesson I needed to grasp. I knew it wasn't the obvious. Joining others in their suffering was a hallmark of my closest connections. Nor am I oblivious to others experiencing pain and have little difficulty reaching out.

Sometimes the answer isn't the obvious one. Am I neglecting someone? Have I failed to come alongside in situations where my presence would be well served? Am I accessible when needed? I could continue that line of thought.

But I recalled a comment from my mastermind by one of the members which put the message in a different frame. We discussed a program we'd taken and related the challenges some participants experienced. She noted the leader's inability to answer questions because the task was delegated to others. The cessation of hands-on involvement affected her mindset. Things appeared easier than they were for others shouldering everything on their own.

I applied the remarks to myself and realized I was doing the same inadvertently. While the intention was good—helping others—the reality of difference is too great. My personal solution for challenges is seeking an expert. Whether its a resource or individual providing guidance. I'm spending money nonetheless. Much like she noted about my coach. You're out of touch and don't realize it.

I am beginning to understand why the Lord pulled me back from some activities and advised me against others. I'm not the right fit and it isn't an effective use of my gifts. They're needed elsewhere.

I have a growing burden for Christian entrepreneurs. I encouraged the ladies a couple of weeks ago and was in my element. Speaking to their needs and motivating them warmed my heart. It didn't have to downplay anything and they received my words genuinely. It felt good.

I want to do more of that and lend support where needed and remove my hands elsewhere. I don't want to appear insensitive or make anyone feel bad. As one door closes another opens. That's the wonderful thing about walking with God. You never know what to expect.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Thank you for sharing this Bella, it's a great illustration of the need to come to terms with what we comprise.

We all have a need to be useful, and to feel the satisfaction that comes when we have found our true service niche.

You, with God's help, have found where you fit, and the benefits are obvious to you and to those you are serving. Your anecdote is a great example too of what happens when we try to squeeze our particular 'shape' into one that doesn't suit.

Paul kind of hit on the need we have to understand ourselves and look to serve in a space we are suitably equipped for: "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying (professing to know God's will in matters), then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving (in the more practical ways), then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead (organise/facilitate), do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

Shalom

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain." —Psalm 127:1

Watching God supernaturally put things together is deeply moving. I was ready to receive the message and witnessed the gathering firsthand. Letting go isn't difficult. The harvest is greater than anything I've relinquished.

Exactly.

The principles you've laid out are key to a healthy church.

It has been my 'mission' over the years to convince the church that we need a different model of fellowship than the one traditionally passed to us.

The concept of formalised and repetitive agendas, and regimented religious services that oversee our meetings give no provision for the Holy Spirit to move freely amongst individuals. It also almost completely stifles the opportunity for church members to exercise the giftedness that Paul was talking about in his letter to the church in Rome (Chapter 12).

The 'monetary' value we Christians need to build on is a 'Christ like character', that's a treasury built inside of us that's useful for securing our salvation and immortality in the new Heaven and new Earth. It also benefits our lives here on the present earth where we are turned into neighbour-loving and law abiding citizens, bringing us long lasting peace and joy and not relying on this world's riches which are temporary and insecure.

I've given up trying to influence change in the institutionalised church, and now look to people that have left that environment and wish to live a true Christian lifestyle. I'm mindful of the Lord's wisdom and metaphor when He declared it is futile to put new wine in old wineskins, the old wineskins will burst and the new wine poured out and corrupted.

I've been running a notice in our local area bulletin (monthly letterbox version) titled Christian Friends and offering fellowship to people that don't have a church home at present. Australians being a relatively well off peoples, mostly don't see the need for God in their lives, or they've given their loyalty to a religion or denomination of some kind. Christianity is a lifestyle that infuses every aspect of one's lifestyle, influencing all their thinking and actions, all the time.

Shalom Bella, Tony

Upvote 0