Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How long before your wedding did you begin to plan? Such as the location, the honeymoon, the venues etc? I would love to know the experiences of others.
We started planning our wedding about a year before we married. There was premarital counseling that was required by our churches (we each went to separate churches before marriage, and alternated Sundays in eac afterward), which took some time, but booking the church and the hall for the reception were the most important to get done early. Catering also had to be organized relatively early, we found.

Wedding planning was a generally stressful time, although my wife enjoyed some of it. Taking enough time that it doesn’t feel rushed is helpful.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We started planning our wedding about a year before we married. There was premarital counseling that was required by our churches (we each went to separate churches before marriage, and alternated Sundays in eac afterward), which took some time, but booking the church and the hall for the reception were the most important to get done early. Catering also had to be organized relatively early, we found.

Wedding planning was a generally stressful time, although my wife enjoyed some of it. Taking enough time that it doesn’t feel rushed is helpful.
Thank you so much for sharing that :) How long did your premarital counseling last?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for sharing that :) How long did your premarital counseling last?
You are quite welcome, Luinilote.

If I remember, between the two churches, it lasted about 3 months, meeting once every couple of weeks on average.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are quite welcome, Luinilote.

If I remember, between the two churches, it lasted about 3 months, meeting once every couple of weeks on average.
Very lovely :) I will look into premarital counseling at my church.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
3 Minutes. Me and my wife got down on our knees before the living God and committed our marriage unto him.
Wow :) That is awesome. So you only had to plan for 3 minutes? You knew where you would have the wedding at?

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It was in my living room, on our knees. The witnesses were Jesus Christ, the Holy spirit and the host of heaven. Marriage is about the attitude of the heart. The institution of marriage has become big business. I would recommend having a super small ceremony then an open house at a relatives for the family. As newlyweds, save your money for something more important. Nothing worse than getting married and being instantly in debt $30K or more. It only strains the relationship...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We were engaged for 6 months and didn't have much money. Didn't take long to plan being married outdoors in my sisters back yard, with a close friend from high school who had become a minister officiating. Probably took me longer to build the arch we were married under. My sister made the wedding cake and made all of the decorations. The honeymoon trip cost us a lot more than the actual wedding. That was 16 years ago.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was in my living room, on our knees. The witnesses were Jesus Christ, the Holy spirit and the host of heaven. Marriage is about the attitude of the heart. The institution of marriage has become big business. I would recommend having a super small ceremony then an open house at a relatives for the family. As newlyweds, save your money for something more important. Nothing worse than getting married and being instantly in debt $30K or more. It only strains the relationship...
That is charming. I agree I would like to have a super small ceremony and having a open house at my home for the family sounds wonderful. We do need to save our money and I would like the wedding to be simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We were engaged for 6 months and didn't have much money. Didn't take long to plan being married outdoors in my sisters back yard, with a close friend from high school who had become a minister officiating. Probably took me longer to build the arch we were married under. My sister made the wedding cake and made all of the decorations. The honeymoon trip cost us a lot more than the actual wedding. That was 16 years ago.
Lovely. That is lovely to be married outdoor in your sisters back yard by a close friend who had become a minister officiating. I bet it was beautiful. I would love to be married in the backyard of my home, that is something I will consider- to keep it simple but beautiful. Likely we will cater food. We are thinking of going to Virginia for our honeymoon, to the Blue Ridge Mountains to stay in a cabin for a week.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would always recommend a smaller wedding. It's less stressful and saves money. My husband and I were engaged for four months, and we planned everything in that time. We had a beach honeymoon (within the U.S.).
A beach honeymoon sounds lovely :) I agree, I am going to have a smaller wedding. I appreciate the less stress and saving money. That is wonderful that you were able to plan everything in four months. We are planning to be married in November. It will be cold but I am still considering having a wedding in my home and a reception in my home after.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you're interested in a church wedding, it's possible to be married in a church and still keep expenses down. My husband and I were married when we were just barely out of school, and we were planning everything on a student's budget. We were married in his church, with a simple finger-food reception afterwards in the church social hall.

We were engaged for about a year and a half, but some of the reason for the long engagement was that we were waiting for me to finish my thesis (which took forever, sigh :rolleyes: ). I do recommend premarital counselling by a pastor, which for us was stretched over a few months.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're interested in a church wedding, it's possible to be married in a church and still keep expenses down. My husband and I were married when we were just barely out of school, and we were planning everything on a student's budget. We were married in his church, with a simple finger-food reception afterwards in the church social hall.

We were engaged for about a year and a half, but some of the reason for the long engagement was that we were waiting for me to finish my thesis (which took forever, sigh :rolleyes: ). I do recommend premarital counselling by a pastor, which for us was stretched over a few months.
I have been talking with my fiance Caleb and I think we will have a small wedding in my home and a reception in my home. I think it will suit us well. I agree that we should do premarital counseling. I am looking into that with my pastor at my church. I think ours will be for about two months once a week.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.