Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
My girlfriend and I have been going strong for almost 2 years, now, and have been best friends much longer. Talk has been more and more shifting toward particulars of a wedding. One of the questions I have is the average cost of an Orthodox wedding. I know someone here has been there and done that. Let me know int the reply section below

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Best advice we got: Decide first what parts of the wedding matter to you as a couple, and then plan. So, for example, we really wanted our own wedding crowns and cup, and wanted specific clothing we picked out. After that, no matter what else was budgeted, the things that were important to us were taken care of.

But really, you could do an Orthodox wedding for no money at all. The church was free, the priest understands if you don't have much to give him as a gift, etc. etc. You could just how up in your best clothing and get married. Oh, of course you need a license, which costs about $50 here, if I remember right.

All in all I believe that our wedding cost $3,000-$4,000. The day after our ceremony just our families and bridal party went to a restaurant, then we had a reception put on by my wife's parents' church and family the next day. Just two attendants each, my wife's aunt made her wedding dress, my wife made my vest. I made our invitations on vistaprint.

You can keep the costs down very low, compared to other weddings, and amazingly low if you just have a wedding ceremony and little to no reception (which can be done very well and be a lot of fun still).

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,104.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were both unemployed when we decided it wasn't a good reason to put off marriage. We managed to find a wedding dress that was ex-modelling which my wife loved. It only recquired a couple of fittings and was much cheaper than it would have otherwise been. We had 7 weeks to go and still hadn't settled on where to have the reception when we got the news from Greece that my wife-to-be's father was dying. That was Wednesday night. We got married the following Saturday.

I should point out that we were initially married in the Anglican Church. My wife's family were nominal Orthodox and neither of us knew much about Orthodoxy at the time. We called the church on Thursday morning to see if it would be possible to marry the following Saturday and it turned out the church was completely free that day. We called all our close friends and family and let them know, and also asked if they could bring a plate of food for the reception afterwards which was also held at the church.
My dad had made the wedding cake already well in advance, my mum did the flowers, and our friends took photos, many of which were fantastic. My best man and I hired tuxedos the day before.
All in all it was the most wonderful day we could imagine. It was quite cold that day so my wife actually wore my heavy leather jacket over her bridal gown. The sun came out after the ceremony and allowed lots of great photos and there was plenty of food brought by everyone. Our faces were hurting afterwards because we could not stop smiling the whole day.

I have no idea how much our wedding cost but it could not have been much. Apart from the wedding dress and hiring my tuxedo, I don't think we had to spend any other money.

A week later we flew to Greece where we remained for twelve and a half years. Unfortunately my father in law passed away before we arrived so I never got to meet him.
Over the next couple of years we were led by God into His holy Orthodox Church where we had our former marriage blessed with an Orthodox crowning.
I don't remember what that cost either :)

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the wedding itself is free - I suppose some priests might ask for a donation to cover incidental cost to the parish - but if you are a regular member I would be surprised if this was asked for. We wore the clothes we already owned. I made our crown. Reception was potluck. We spent our money on a honeymoon;)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was staying with my Confessor last year , when he surprised me by telling me I was singing at a Crowning on the Saturday !

It was the couple - young with not much money , her parents , his were unable to come over from Ukraine .

She was in a lovely simple green dress , he was in a lounge suit , a friend was taking some photos [ I got better ones :D and arranged for the couple to get them. ] and the crowns belonged to the Church .

I know Father took no fee /donation . I was given a kiss by the groom as my fee :)

It was a very very beautiful simple crowning

A wedding does not have to be expensive - they usually are because the parents want to make a show of it

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will also give this advice: planning a wedding can be one of the most drudging and awful things ever. My wife and I called ours "The Ordeal" and we weren't the ones who invented the title. We, actually, eventually said "We've planned the wedding, and that's what we care about. If anybody else really wants a reception, they can plan it. As an exchange we won't ask for any gifts." We registered, but if someone wanted to get us something they had to directly come to us and ask us where we were registered, I think. My wife's parents happily took on the planning of the reception, but we had to genuinely not care what happened at it lol.

Prodromos did what we really wanted to do, and what we now wish we had spent more time figuring out how to make work. We wanted to just call everyone and say like "Hey, tomorrow we're getting married. Great if you can come, but no worries if you can't!" It would've been much cheaper, much more fun and original, and much less stressful. Unfortunately my wife's family is spread out across the entire 'States, so it would've been very difficult, but we probably could've done it. It's a path that I recommend giving serious consideration.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I ran off to Reno! LOL! My parents and grandparents followed us up there. Five years later we wanted a sacramental marriage, so we married in the Catholic Church. Father Jerry, memory eternal, met with us on a Monday and we told him we wanted to straighten out our marriage with a sacramental grace to it, etc. He said, "well, let's do this. When do you want to get married?" I said, "uh, well," and he said, "how about two days from now?" ^_^:p

Two days later we married! We gave him $100 for helping us, but like Joseph Hazen said, priests generally aren't concerned about that. Yes, it was Catholic and not Orthodox, but generally clergy are cool overall about such things. Joseph's right.

Both our marriages combined cost around $500!!! LOL! And guess what? Fifteen years in July! fifteen years of marriage. No fancy shmancy anything. It's not about the pomp, it's about the love. We never got crowns or whatever, and I'm fine with that! I went to Joseph's wedding and it was nice, but I'm happy with how our stuff went down.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, better not to have a gnostic, donatist, or arian wedding! :p

lol. I was meaning along the lines of western practices, like the dad walking the bride to meet the groom, and other things like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A lot of things are pretty set. You can't pick from this or that readings, songs, or add any traditions like Unity Candles or what-not. You could do those things at the reception.

There are a few options sometimes. Some priests will let you pick this or that, such as doing the Betrothal separately from the Crowning (but then you're basically married without the nookie - if you split, you have to get an ecclesiastic divorce) or doing the Betrothal before the Royal Doors instead of the doors into the temple. We picked doing everything at the front and so got to do a 'procession' in, but because there's no traditional Orthodox procession we got to pick one, so we arranged one based on the traditional Jewish ceremony which allowed our parents to walk us both in. We liked the symbolism.

No "Wedding March" though, sorry. I personally think the Hymn to the Theotokos that replaces it is more beautiful anyway.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
one way that my wife and I found to save money is our caterers and photographers for the wedding were both parishoners at the Church we were married. so they gave us discounts and that also helped put money back into the Church. plus there was a lot of food that was home made which saved us some cash as well.

hope that helps

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,397,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A lot of things are pretty set. You can't pick from this or that readings, songs, or add any traditions like Unity Candles or what-not. You could do those things at the reception.

There are a few options sometimes. Some priests will let you pick this or that, such as doing the Betrothal separately from the Crowning (but then you're basically married without the nookie - if you split, you have to get an ecclesiastic divorce) or doing the Betrothal before the Royal Doors instead of the doors into the temple. We picked doing everything at the front and so got to do a 'procession' in, but because there's no traditional Orthodox procession we got to pick one, so we arranged one based on the traditional Jewish ceremony which allowed our parents to walk us both in. We liked the symbolism.

No "Wedding March" though, sorry. I personally think the Hymn to the Theotokos that replaces it is more beautiful anyway.

Which hymn? I've heard Agios O Theos played on the organ(No singing of course) when the Bride walks down the aisle. At least that is how it was for my sisters and brother.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
lol. I was meaning along the lines of western practices, like the dad walking the bride to meet the groom, and other things like that.

I've heard and seen all sorts of stuff - so depending on your priest - this could vary quite a bit.

Personally, I would take the service as written as THE sacrament par excellence - if you are adding something, then I would seriously ask why? I could understand certain minor additions in movement and music to keep peace among the parents - this is important, but I wouldn't add something just because I think they might like it or to try and give the service a more western feel. Actually, I would state that even stronger - I would resist any change to point of real conflict and then discuss options with my priest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know zero about Orthodox weddings, but we did have a nice wedding for very little cost. The photographer was very impressed, and we got a lot of compliments. Some things I am sure would not apply to Orthodoxy. And I think it was great advice to decide what's important to you, and anything else doesn't have to be there.

What we did to save money ...

My dress came from eBay - simply gorgeous designer dress for not much at all; the alterations cost several times what the dress itself did

He bought his tux from the rental place as they were selling it very cheaply (slightly more than a rental), and we used the "points" from the purchase to buy the shirt and all that was needed to go with it

The cake was made by a friend of a church member and she refused to let me pay more than $65 (the cake shop was going to charge over $500 for the same cake). I had it decorated with real and silk flowers and ribbons which brought the cost down considerably

The church was decorated with simple plants and flowers that I took home after and used (probably not an issue in an Orthodox church?)

The church hall was decorated with things the church had and the members loaned, everyone helped me do it - chairs slipcovered and tied with small silk bouquets cut from a garland, tables covered with cloth (all that belonged to the church) - candleholders and glass vases on the tables, decorated with lace appliques loaned by a friend - I bought candles and glass stones at the dollar store.

The flowers were done by a dear lady in the church. She had a license and got them cheaply. We paid for the flowers (in season) and she made the bridal bouquet and groom's buttoniere (and I just remembered, I did have a little crown with simple flowers, lol) - she also provided stems for the tables

The reception utensils I bought at party stores on sale, and the dollar store - nice but cheap

We provided a little food, but church members brought some as well

I cut way down on photographer's costs by paying him to just take the photos and give me a CD (at the wedding). He edited one photo and emailed it to me. His costs were 3-5x higher to edit all the photos and provide a small book, so by editing and printing my own I saved a lot

I recorded music for the reception myself and paid a gratuity to the church music person to "DJ" for me

A young lady who was aspiring to do makeup, etc. professionally did my hair and makeup for free, but I gave her a gift in thanks

Our rings were not in the traditional style. I chose mine for meaning and look - there is quite a bit of symbolism to me in the design, but it has 3 aquamarines and 7 tiny diamond chips, and cost only a small fraction of what a larger diamond ring would and suits me much better :)

The pastor gifted us back the fee for the use of the church, since we had become members by then and went through his pre-marriage course. We did give he and his wife a small gift.

And I think that was the extent of our costs. Including everything, I know it was far less than $2K. The biggest expenses were the dress, rings, and photographer. And we wanted a wedding that looked like a wedding. Of course almost none of those expenses are really necessary (except a marriage license), but we received many, many compliments on how nice it all was. It really was elegant, but simple at the same time. I was pleased. :) It suited us well. :)

We saved our money for the honeymoon too, which was worth it.

Upvote 0