ScottEmerson

I Like Traffic Lights
May 9, 2002
Ocala, FL
✟682.00
Faith
Christian
Two questions for all you computer-folk:

First of all, would anyone be able to look at our student ministry's new website for some constructive criticism! (http://www.fiveseventeen.org/) I used a couple of templates along with writing my own stuff. It's still a project in the making, but any advice would be welcome!

Second, I am looking at somehow making a message board for our students. Our server doesn't support CGI or PHP, and before I go looking for more servers, I wondered what advice anyone here had.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 21, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟13,683.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not bad - nice intro to the site - with a nice frontpage.

As a rule of thumb - people don't like scrolling down to read things - they'd prefer to have it right infront of them without having to even touch the mouse.

So the scroll up/scroll down thing is a good idea - but people are laxzy and wont like that :)

The Javascript buttons to the right look great - but the writing that shows up when you hover over them needs to be a bit darker - I found them a bit hard to see.

oh - I don't like the green used to make NEWS stand out >_< - but I'm very picy :)

And the pictures to the bottom right - Need to be a bit more in focus - nice idea though!

On the whole - quite good :)

Upvote 0

ScottEmerson

I Like Traffic Lights
May 9, 2002
Ocala, FL
✟682.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 02:12 PM S Walch said this in Post #2

The Javascript buttons to the right look great - but the writing that shows up when you hover over them needs to be a bit darker - I found them a bit hard to see.

oh - I don't like the green used to make NEWS stand out &gt;_&lt; - but I'm very picy :)

And the pictures to the bottom right - Need to be a bit more in focus - nice idea though!

On the whole - quite good :)

&nbsp;

I made the changes to the Flash - if you look again, you'll see that the titles are darker.

I'm still working on the pictures. The hard part is getting the size down, of course.

(And I like the green, so I'm gonna keep it... haha!) Thanks for your suggestions and your encouragement!

&nbsp;

Grace and peace!

SEC

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
In terms of visual design, it looks pretty good. I'm running at 1024x768 and didn't have any problems.

A couple recommendations, though:

1) Get rid of the idle animations. The human eye is naturally drawn towards movement, and the animations are distracting when trying to read the content.

2) Get rid of the "scroll up" and "scroll-down" buttons, and just implement a scroll bar. It would be much more user friendly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't check, I just figured it wasn't. Sorry :sorry: :)

I think, though, that some people might just possibly not all have Internet Explorer completely maximized and the exact same size. Or, for example, I use opera and my dimensions of viewable area apparently is a bit smaller than the normal IE... etc. That sort of thing. If it could be squished a little or something... hehe....

Yeah, really, the best thing is to see how it looks on a bunch of different computers/browser. Takes a lot of time, and is rather annoying, though. I generally don't worry about it much :angel: hehe :D

It looks great though! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums