Weather Jobs

SilasNave

Jun 29, 2004
✟7,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hey, I don't have a "job" in the weather yet, but I am also currently going to college right now (for an Associate in Science but plan to transfer for a Bachelor's). I think the best way to get an idea if you would really want to go into meteorology is either to job shadow a meteorologist or seek out an internship at a TV station in the weather department. It depends on what area you are from, but I would just e-mail around to check out if there are any openings. The good thing about interning at a TV station is that you may be offered a part-time job after the internship is over with. (One of my friends picked up on the opportunity to do just that.) If you are really interested in meteorology in particular, try looking for opportunities on ametsoc.org under student resources. You'll find scholarships and all kinds of information that would help you possibly. I hope this helps, even a little bit.

Upvote 0

SilasNave

Jun 29, 2004
✟7,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I apologize that I didn't take account of you being from Scotland, but you should also have your own meteorology society in the vicinity. It's called the "Royal Meteorological Society". You may have to look it up in the search engine and find some links that lead to it by typing in words for: "Royal Meteorological Society United Kingdom". If you look under their education section on their home page, I know you can find more information about the career itself. Some links of possible interest: rmets.org and metoffice.gov.uk
(Just place the three WWW's and the dot in front of the links; I haven't made the minimum posts to be able to write out an entire link. You have to have 15 posts in the forums in order to do so.)

Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm currently in graduate school for meteorology. Over here in the states, here are some common jobs:

-Television Forecaster
-Private Sector Forecaster (small independent companies which provide weather forecasts for a fee)
-Goverment Forecaster (i.e. National Weather Service, don't know if you have something similar in Scotland)
-Weather Consultant for a non-meteorological based company (forecaster for companies that are frequently affected by weather)
-Legal Consultant (many companies specialize in providing past weather information for legal battles in which weather was a factor)
-Instrumentation (constructing and/or maintaining radars, satellites, weather stations)
-Researcher (typically for government or educational institutions...and there's a very wide range of topics for research)

There are more...those are probably some of the more common jobs.

-Matt

Upvote 0

as1979

Dec 22, 2004
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The only weather jobs I have experience with are tv meteorologists since I work in tv news. I'm sure there are other jobs, but I can say that the tv meteorologists seem to love their job. The only problem is tv news has crazy schedules and it can get quite hectic during weather emergencies. You also get paid really well (in bigger markets anyways) Best wishes! Keep up the research,but like someone else said I think,the best way to know is through an internship or actually hands-on. Don't let lack of opportunities stop you either, make your own! I work in really competitive broadcasting in a state that has a high unemployment rate and still managed six internships, and making my own projects before I realized what part of broadcasting I wanted (and definitely didn't want to do!)

Upvote 0