Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As a Black man, I don't think that this is a problem right now ...
It's good to see your optimism, and I sincerely mean that.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's good to see your optimism, and I sincerely mean that.
Let's face it ... EVERYBODY is wearing something. It's a government directive.

I'm not saying I wouldn't give it a thought ... but the distinguishing nature of a facemask is not in effect during these times ...

• Agree
Reactions: Kessa
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm slow spoken and awkward of step and a lateral thinker, and people see it and I get hostile attitudes all the time. One doesn't need to be much "different".

My mum would be quizzed in front of us about her complexion and her accent - looking back, it's sinister because we thought she was normal and a lot of neighbours didn't. When she did the done thing people were taken aback or resentful.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'm not saying I wouldn't give it a thought ... but the distinguishing nature of a facemask is not in effect during these times ...

It certainly will be "in effect" in the minds of all the wrong people that will inevitably be around (whether they get round to acting out or not). Who are jealous that a good hearted black person is able to cooperate far better than they.

My guess is the author is determined to take the risk but he's absolutely right to state the position, to keep us thinking.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I certainly to defer to you. I just know that early on, even in our white-bread caucasian home we had the discussion of, "you know that type of face covering (home-made) could give the wrong impression.."

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

The article made the point of how black people have been killed for just living and doing ordinary things that most people do. A black boy twelve years old gets killed for playing with a toy gun. A black man gets killed in a Walmart for trying to purchase an air rifle.So, yeah, it has to cross the minds of blacks when wearing a mask may stoke unreasonable fears in others. It only takes one unreasonable person to stoke fear in others imho. Unfortunately, it has happened too frequently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I certainly to defer to you. I just know that early on, even in our white-bread caucasian home we had the discussion of, "you know that type of face covering (home-made) could give the wrong impression.."
Exactly!

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's terrible. No one should have to worry that protecting themselves from a deadly virus could put them at risk for being shot! I'm not sure what I would do in the situation, except pick out the least threatening cloth mask you can find/make. It would be suicidal to go out without a mask these days, unfortunately. Just minimize trips as much as possible maybe, and try to get all you need in one visit instead of daily or weekly top ups.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nah...I'll go ahead and say not a real problem.

I mean, do black people get gunned down every Halloween for wearing a mask? No?

A little common sense goes a long way.
Most people will be wearing masks out, I don't think his concerns are legitimate. People will be expecting masks more than they'll be fearing them.
I dont think he has anything to worry about,Everyone is wearing masks lately.

Maybe he does NOT have anything to worry about. But do not minimize his concern! It remains to be seen if his concerns have merit.:sigh: I for one can understand how a black man can be concerned for his safety in light of recent events involving the killing of black men! You have never experienced this fear, so, you cannot know it.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Do black people get shot in the back by the police on New Year’s?

Do black people get shot by the police for being a passenger in a car?

Do black children with toy guns get shot by police when white adults can walk freely with loaded AR-15’s and get high fives from the police?

Do black children get shot at by homeowners with shotguns for asking directions?

Do black people get shot in their own homes when the police forget where they live?

Do black people get the police called on them for trying to deposit a check in their own bank account?

Do black people get shot shopping at Wal-Mart in an open carry state carrying an air rifle and talking on the phone?

Do black people get put in choke holds and killed for not selling illegal cigarettes?

Do black people get shot by the police for sleeping on a park bench?

Stop being so paranoid, there is no “open season” on unarmed black people where the police can freely kill unarmed black people without fear of being prosecuted. No evidence what so ever. So the best advice is to put your mask on, go out to the corner market, and quit scaring white people. Everything will be just fine, the white folks say so, would they lie? :rolleyes:

//sarcasm//

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do black people get shot in the back by the police on New Year’s?
Shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia

Oscar Grant III was a 22-year-old African-American man who was fatally shot in the early morning hours of New Year's Day 2009 by BART Police Officer ...
Do black people get shot by the police for being a passenger in a car?
Minn. Man Fatally Shot By Police While Inside A Car With A Woman And Child

July 7, 20161:58 AM ET
The Associated Press

A Minnesota police officer fatally shot a man in a car with a woman and a child, an official said, and authorities are looking into whether the aftermath was live-streamed in a widely shared Facebook video, which shows a woman in a vehicle with a man whose shirt appears to be soaked in blood telling the camera that "police just shot my boyfriend for no apparent reason."
Minn. Man Fatally Shot By Police While Inside A Car With A Woman And Child

The answers to all of your questions are resoundingly yes!I don't thinkyou could possibly be serious by asking them.
Stop being so paranoid, there is no “open season” on unarmed black people where the police can freely kill unarmed black people without fear of being prosecuted. No evidence what so ever. So the best advice is to put your mask on, go out to the corner market, and quit scaring white people. Everything will be just fine, the white folks say so, would they lie?

It has happened too many times! Some(Police) have been prosecuted , but some of the shootings have not even been seriously investigated.As you can see on this thread that the concern of black folks is minimized and not validated.

Upvote 0