LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it wrong to wear a cross necklace? Do you wear one? Why or why not? Thanks!

I wear one not as a fashion statement but as a reminder of what my Lord went through to secure my salvation.

It's like a photo for me, it evokes emotions. In my busy daily life it gently reminds me to think of my Lord throughout the day.

Wearing one or not wearing one does not determine the extent of our faith or our final destination.

Blessings :crossrc:

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If I brutally murdered your mother with a rusty Axe, would you wear an Axe around your neck in tribute to her or to remember her by ?

Also we are to make no Graven image.

Read the Bible verse again. We are not to make any graven images of anything in the heavens or on the earth below. Do you have photos or videos of loved ones etc..then according to the verse you also have graven images.

Sounds like it means no images of anything.

No statues in Washington DC.
No replicas of the Ten Commandments in courthouses.
No photographs of famiily and friends.
No TV.
No movies.
No billboards.
Nothing in newspapers or magazines except text.
No illustrated bible stories.
No Nativity scenes at Christmas

Either we're in big trouble or we're being too literal.

The Cross would be a graven image if you thought of the cross itself as a God. If you were to worship that Cross as a God and if you thought that piece of wood could answer your prayers and perform miracles then it is a graven image.

I don't know any Christian, Catholic or not, who thinks the Cross is a God.

It's like the Bible, some of my Catholic friends accuse other Christians of worshipping the Bible, a book. They see those Christians as committing idolatry by worshipping words on pages in a book. To them they are worshipping a book and not Jesus the living, breathing word of God.

I tell them this is simply not true, but people will believe what they want to believe.

This verse means any image which you worship in your heart as a God is a graven image.

Upvote 0

Coup

Apr 3, 2011
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It does not matter what the "majority" think. Look how far away from God the world has moved. We are a wicked nation especially. The "majority" teach evolution, that does not make it right ? Gods word is the final authority.

You said some people worship the bible. I don't. I don't say, "The bible saves!" I say, "Jesus Christ saves!"

No statues in Washington DC.
No replicas of the Ten Commandments in courthouses.
No photographs of family and friends.
No TV.
No movies.
No billboards.
Nothing in newspapers or magazines except text.
No illustrated bible stories.
No Nativity scenes at Christmas

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
-Exodus 20:4-6

No graven images, to do so is sin against God. Even pictures of family. There is good reason God forbids graven images. I trust God. Many do not. Culture does not decide what is right or wrong, ever, nor does tradition.

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It does not matter what the "majority" think. Look how far away from God the world has moved. We are a wicked nation especially. The "majority" teach evolution, that does not make it right ? Gods word is the final authority.

You said some people worship the bible. I don't. I don't say, "The bible saves!" I say, "Jesus Christ saves!"

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
-Exodus 20:4-6

No graven images, to do so is sin against God. Even pictures of family. There is good reason God forbids graven images. I trust God. Many do not. Culture does not decide what is right or wrong, ever, nor does tradition.

Read my post again.

I did not say Christians worship the Bible, I said my friends accuse other Christians of worshipping the Bible.

You don't have any photos of your children, parents, family, friends? Unusual.

Do you have any books with pictures in them or only text?

Why are on the internet? It contains images of everything under the sun and on earth.

I do agree with you that mankind is moving further and further away from God.

Upvote 0

Coup

Apr 3, 2011
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God forbids graven images. If people do it or if the majority does, it still does not make it right. After being born again, I am getting rid of all things that do not please God.

I am about to give up the internet too.

I am not perfect, will never claim I am. I am not saying you are sinful, I have no idea. So I definitely don't want to argue over whether or not you are or who is living the best life.

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I wear a cross, but I do not worshp it. I wear it because it is a REMINDER of my Lord Christ and his sacrifices. On the back it has two of the most important things for a christian to remember:

....F
GRACE
....I
....T
....H

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I have crosses I hang on the mirror of my car ... I have crosses in the house ... on my door, etc. the message is to the enemy ... I am the Lord's ... has nothing to do with worshipping the cross ... they don't 'protect' me or 'lead' me or any of the other things I turn to the Lord for ... I know who my Lord is ...

not one of my crosses has Jesus hanging on it ... He's not on the cross ... He rose ... just my personal thinking ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeccaCheria

Aug 31, 2011
✟15,187.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The reason why I asked this questions because there are some people who strongly oppose wearing one saying its a graven image while others say they wear one as a reminder of what Jesus did. However, I do feel that wearing a crucifix (a cross with Jesus hanging from it) is wrong. Do you think it is okay to wear a cross to show others that you are a committed christian?

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The question is, do you worship the cross, or the fish.

Do not make any graven images is a commandment, one of the first four. The first four commandments tell us how we are to interact with God. The second six tell us how to interact with each other.

The graven image that God was forbidding was a carved and/or guilded statue or image that was worshiped as a god. Even after the Commandments were given, God commanded Moses to make what was technically a graven image - the brass serpent that those bitten by snakes could look upon and be saved. It was an image of something of this earth, made of brass. Why would God tell them not to create something then order them to do so later?

Because this snake staff was not to be worshiped. In fact, when people began to worship it many years later, Hezekiah had it destroyed. (2 Kings 18:4)

I wear crosses sometimes. But so many people wear them as adornment, or just another item of "bling" that I don't take for granted any more that someone wearing one is a Christian, much less a committed one.

Peacocks were also used as an early symbol of Christianity, though I'm not sure of the origin.

Upvote 0