We truly need The Holy Spirit

shaheem white

Greetings in the Matchless Name Of Jesus!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Since i've been on Christian Forum I have come to understand whole heartedly just how much we need the Holy Spirit to guide us through Gods divine Word! there are so many views and opinions as to what God meant in His Word... I'm gonna do what the word says

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5,6)

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Since i've been on Christian Forum I have come to understand whole heartedly just how much we need the Holy Spirit to guide us through Gods divine Word! there are so many views and opinions as to what God meant in His Word... I'm gonna do what the word says

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5,6)
About 18 months ago I came to a similar conclusion while trying to study doctrines. I got a distinct message one morning waking up to just focus on Jesus. Added to the doctrinal differences between bible and denominations, we have end time deceptions going on and this experience I had was as if a column of information came down straight from heaven and fit over my head . But the message couldn't have been any clearer. Basically drop the confusion and just concentrate on Jesus Christ. That's why I often say " it's all about Jesus". It's kind of like the secular KISS method ( keep it simple stupid). And it's been working to just focus on Him and His word. Let the Holy Spirit bring the discernment and you won't go far wrong.. You can win arguments against the all knowing pharisees using this simple approach because it isn't you but He who is in you .

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How would one avoid their own understanding, exactly?

I do have an answer, but what do you think scripture means by this passage?
Or am I not supposed to ask.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yes pray for understanding.. Pray for guidance..

James 1: KJV

"{5} If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. {6} But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. {7} For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. {8} A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good question, we must all ask each other anything and everything. it's a joy to discuss our precious Lord.
I just know that as I read scripture, I can only understand the meaning through guidance by Holy Spirit. He helps us. Without Him, they are just words. I see meaning actually in my whole life, through Him.
Our own understanding can be shallow and incomplete.

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How would one avoid their own understanding, exactly?

I do have an answer, but what do you think scripture means by this passage?
Or am I not supposed to ask.
I really don't see the point in your question being as though my post was dealing with my approach to the site but i'll answer your question non the less. I would say most of us have a desperate desire to understand, but in so many areas we must acknowledge that we cannot understand. We must approve of God’s ways, even when we can’t comprehend them. let's look at isaiah 55 when it tells us why we often don't understand what God is doing: "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" God sees the whole picture, while we only see our tiny corner of it. To trust in the Lord with all our heart means we can't place our own right to understand above His right to direct our lives the way He sees fit, and in this case interpreting the scriptures.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter." - 2 Thessalonians 2:15

Christ didn't leave us to wander in the dark, He called men to be His apostles, and established a Church, and He gave His Spirit poured out who dwells in the Church and works through His Church.

Yes, rely on the Holy Spirit. But look to where the Holy Spirit faithfully works and acts. Hold fast to what has been given to us since the beginning, hold true to the faith "once and for all delivered", as St. Jude writes.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I really don't see the point in your question being as though my post was dealing with my approach to the site but i'll answer your question non the less. I would say most of us have a desperate desire to understand, but in so many areas we must acknowledge that we cannot understand. We must approve of God’s ways, even when we can’t comprehend them. let's look at isaiah 55 when it tells us why we often don't understand what God is doing: "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" God sees the whole picture, while we only see our tiny corner of it. To trust in the Lord with all our heart means we can't place our own right to understand above His right to direct our lives the way He sees fit, and in this case interpreting the scriptures.

Hi
Before I read any scripture, I pray that Holy Spirit grants me understanding. He does.
Once we believe, comprehension comes.
I crave the Word daily, even if sometimes I only have time for a verse or a page. I marvel at how on earth did I do without before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is critical that we understand what when Christ said the Spirit would lead "you into all truth" that He wasn't speaking to me as an individual, He was speaking to His apostles as a group. Grammatically the "you" here is plural. Modern English lacks a distinction between the singular and the plural in the second person pronoun, as such "you" is used in both the singular and the plural (exception exists in some colloquial dialects, such as Southern American English which has the contraction "y'all" to serve in this capacity). When Christ says the Spirit will lead "you" He means His apostles as a whole.

When Scripture, in reference to us as Christians, instructs us to hold to truth it calls us to hold firm to what we have been taught and what we have received. For example what does St. Paul tell the Galatians? "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed." (Galatians 1:8). What does he tell the Corinthians? "For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures," (1 Corinthians 15:3). And so on and so forth.

We are called, as the Church, to hold fast to what we have been taught, received, and confessed to us.

No where does Scripture teach that we are to look to ourselves, or to imagine that God will input divine truth directly into our minds--Scripture instead teaches us to hold to what has been taught, believed, and confessed from the beginning.

No where does Scripture say that the Holy Spirit will beam the truth directly into us; but instead since the Church, corporately, is the Temple of God in which the Spirit dwells corporately:

"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone. In Him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling place for God." (Ephesians 2:19-22)

Yes, as individuals our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit because the Spirit dwells in us individually; but the indwelling of the Spirit in us individually is in connection with our corporately being members of the one Body of Christ.

If we are truly abiding in the Spirit then we are not going off on our own way to do things however which way we please; but rather we have ourselves firmly placed on the solid foundation of Christ and His Word in His Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

My most favorite verse in Scripture ~ thanks for posting.

You are one of the blessed, to whom the Lord has chosen. Praise and glory to His name.

You are one of the blessed, to whom the Lord has converted with His Power;
to forgive, cover, remember no more, all of your sins.
to cleanse, sanctify, crucify your body and keep it with Christ, and you live, in Christ.
to justify your body, to be redeemed, and changed unto a holy body.
to restoreth your soul.
to give you His Seed, to quicken your spirit, for His Seed dwells not in sin.
to give you His Spirit, to dwell within your spirit forever, for His Spirit dwells not in sin.
to make you His son, born of Him and He be your God forever, for He dwells not in sin.

though you walk through the shadow of death, on this earth, he is with you always, and you with Him,
that no fear be unto you, that no evil can overtake you.

Matt 12
[30] He that is not with me is against me;

John 13
[18] I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen:

John 14
[1] Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Acts 3
[19] Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out,

1 John 2
[12] I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

Rom 4
[7] Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

Heb 10
[17] And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Eph 2
[1] And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Gal 2
[20] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

1 Cor 6
[11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Pss 23
[3] He restoreth my soul:

Eph 2
[5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

John 14
[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 14
[26] ..the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost

Gal 3
[16] ... to thy seed, which is Christ.

Pss 84
[12] O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Pss 31
[14] But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God.

John 17
[10] And all mine are thine, and thine are mine;

1 John 3
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

For He has chosen you, forgiven you, MADE YOU WHOLE, (body, soul, & spirit), by HIS Fullness, restored you, quickened you, abides with you, keeps you FOREVER!

BECAUSE YOU BELIEVED! Never again can you SIN or stand Against Him. Praise and Glory to our Great God.

YOU ARE, His inheritance. God Bless us everyone who IS His, forevermore.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi
Before I read any scripture, I pray that Holy Spirit grants me understanding. He does.
Once we believe, comprehension comes.
I crave the Word daily, even if sometimes I only have time for a verse or a page. I marvel at how on earth did I do without before.
So my question is, what is the point of your comment? are you agreeing and adding onto what i posted? or are you in opposition to what I posted? I don't believe I said anything wrong...

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good, but not controversial Christian theology...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good, but not controversial Christian theology...
smh, instead of embracing the love and relevance in my post, you find fault? God bless you.... this is my point exactly! where is the Love?

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
smh, instead of embracing the love and relevance in my post, you find fault? God bless you.... this is my point exactly! where is the Love?

Jesus said if someone asks you to go one mile, go with them two. I have asked of you a small thing, not even ten feet. Think on that, maybe?

What good is a person claiming their own goodness, if they do not have the word in their heart?

Maybe what I asked was lost in translation, though you seem to write english well enough.

Anyway, I have you on ignore now.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You got to love this kid. He complains about stuff not worthy of being in the controversial forum and yet he put me on ignore after about three posts in another thread, and now he has does the same for you. I'm going to offer the 11th commandment as advice for both of us; "Thou shalt not sweat it!"

• Agree
Reactions: shaheem white
Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You got to love this kid. He complains about stuff not worthy of being in the controversial forum and yet he put me on ignore after about three posts in another thread, and now he has does the same for you. I'm going to offer the 11th commandment as advice for both of us; "Thou shalt not sweat it!"
lol AMEN

Upvote 0