We should open the schools, but with younger teachers.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Younger, prettier? Heck, I wish we could figure out a way to make them less liberal. Or failing that, at least teach in the subjects that they mastered in, not subjects that they barely passed.

Education is liberal by nature. It would just be confusing to apply conservative principles to the process.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I've asked quite a few kids what they think about school (not college level) and the response that I receive mostly is .... It's boring and a waste of time.
Many factors may contribute to this; one of which is that books are not as exciting for young people with tons of energy and exploding hormones. That fact that they feel bored is not really a good reason to not learn. Funny how few kids in India and Japan feel that way. Maybe it has something to do with our decent culture of consumerism and ubiquitous entertainment.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Education is liberal by nature. It would just be confusing to apply conservative principles to the process.
Agreed. The line between who wants more education and who tolerates it is close to the left/rich divide. It says a lot about ones expectations for reality and the future.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
How's this for confirmation bias. Nursing home residents/patients have an average lifespan of 2.1 years after admission. In other words they go there to die...with care. Many nursing homes lose a third or more of their residents each year.
Did I mention nursing homes somewhere? What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. The line between who wants more education and who tolerates it is close to the left/rich divide. It says a lot about ones expectations for reality and the future.

The irony is that discipline promotes better education. With a little conservative order schools could open safely.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The irony is that more discipline promotes better education.
You really are not familiar with the research on this topic. That is an instinct--not science. It is not true. Let me know if you want the peer reviewed research on the subject.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did I mention nursing homes somewhere? What are you talking about?

I'm talking about information directly related to our Covid response. The $billions that are going to 'protect' the elderly in nursing homes from Covid will be considered an utter failure when it is noted that they will keep dying of something else in a very short time anyway.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You really are not familiar with the research on this topic. That is an instinct--not science. It is not true. Let me know if you want the peer reviewed research on the subject.

Bring it. Should be interesting.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about information directly related to our Covid response. The $billions that are going to 'protect' the elderly in nursing homes from Covid will be considered an utter failure when it is noted that they will keep dying of something else in a very short time anyway.
I remember when conservatives were angry about the Libs holding death panels. Maybe they are more chill about that now.

I don't share your same concern about the value of human life--no matter the age or infirmity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Bring it. Should be interesting.
Here is a start

Resources Relating to School Discipline and Negative Educational Correlation

The School to Prison Pipeline: Long-Run Impacts of School Suspensions on Adult Crime

Andrew Bacher-Hicks, Stephen B. Billings, David J. Deming

NBER Working Paper No. 26257
Issued in September 2019

How School Discipline Should Change—Fordham Institute

THE EXPERIENCE OF EXCLUSIONARY DISCIPLINE IN MINNESOTA AND THE PROMISE OF NON-EXCLUSIONARY ALTERNATIVES

by Elizabeth Pufall Jones, Ph.D., Max Margolius, Miriam Rollock, Catalina Tang Yan, Marissa L. Cole, and Jonathan F. Zaff, Ph.D

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a start

Resources Relating to School Discipline and Negative Educational Correlation

The School to Prison Pipeline: Long-Run Impacts of School Suspensions on Adult Crime

Andrew Bacher-Hicks, Stephen B. Billings, David J. Deming

NBER Working Paper No. 26257
Issued in September 2019

How School Discipline Should Change—Fordham Institute

THE EXPERIENCE OF EXCLUSIONARY DISCIPLINE IN MINNESOTA AND THE PROMISE OF NON-EXCLUSIONARY ALTERNATIVES

by Elizabeth Pufall Jones, Ph.D., Max Margolius, Miriam Rollock, Catalina Tang Yan, Marissa L. Cole, and Jonathan F. Zaff, Ph.D

I think your concept of "discipline" is different from OldWiseGuy's concept of discipline.

Your concept of "discipline" appears to be that discipline=punishment, inasmuch as the resources you presented are about punishment. That is a very narrow definition, and not the original definition.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've asked quite a few kids what they think about school (not college level) and the response that I receive mostly is .... It's boring and a waste of time.

Even if the subject matter were of interest, not that much of the school day is composed of a particular student receiving pertinent instruction. That's why homeschooled kids can get just as much instruction in a third of the time.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I think your concept of "discipline" is different from OldWiseGuy's concept of discipline.

Your concept of "discipline" appears to be that discipline=punishment, inasmuch as the resources you presented are about punishment. That is a very narrow definition, and not the original definition.
Not necessarily. Discipline is not always related to punishment in the educational literature. But discipline is a rather authoritative concept that is in decline in schools that strive to be research based. Alternatives which seek to inspire students with incentives and restorative conversations are shown to be most effective. This of course is for non-criminal social transgressions. Students do not respond well to discipline, and even if they do, they respond better with other methods. It seems like a simple fact, but we tend to not like people who position themselves as disciplinarians over us; and you don't learn well from someone you don't like. The research is clear on this point. The truth often resists our deeply held instincts.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Comrades! Answer is plain as irregular mole on face. Toddlers have almost immune systems. They can be teachers. Small ones smart as grownups. Run circles around old sick teachers.
Coronavirus: COVID Deaths in U.S. by Age, Race

"As shown, deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent."

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20by%20age.png
Teachers are not the only problem. The kids bring covid back to their parents, the parents to others at work and in 6-8 weeks you have the virus hitting older folks. If one does not care if children get covid, we should have covid camps, segregate the kids for 8 weeks, let them all get covid and then they can lead normal lives without infecting anyone. This of course assumes herd immunity which is not a sure thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. Discipline is not always related to punishment in the educational literature. But discipline is a rather authoritative concept that is in decline in schools that strive to be research based. Alternatives which seek to inspire students with incentives and restorative conversations are shown to be most effective. This of course is for non-criminal social transgressions. Students do not respond well to discipline, and even if they do, they respond better with other methods. It seems like a simple fact, but we tend to not like people who position themselves as disciplinarians over us; and you don't learn well from someone you don't like. The research is clear on this point. The truth often resists our deeply held instincts.

You didn't disagree with me. You're still equating discipline with punishment, and you can't seem to even realize it. Even to say "discipline is a rather authoritative concept" indicates that you do not understand.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Coronavirus: COVID Deaths in U.S. by Age, Race

"As shown, deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent."

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20by%20age.png

It’s not so simple, there is a lot that isn’t yet known about the potential longer terms effects of the virus. There have been cases of strokes and other neurological problems in younger people and other issues that make recovery slow and difficult for some.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Given how many school-aged children regularly are in the care of their grandparents, there will be more dead grandparents if this happens too quickly.

How many die or get sick is irrelevant. I can hear the mantra being chanted already.....

"Save the US dollar, not the US people."

Upvote 0