We should open the schools, but with younger teachers.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For in-person schooling? Class sizes cut down to one third, maybe rotating between class and home learning. All students have masks. Improved ventilation in the classrooms. Plastic barriers where possible, or face masks. Sanitation stations at the entrance of every class.

I don't know of many schools that could do this.

We shall see, but judging from this thread, I doubt anything they do no matter how well it's done, will satisfy some.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I warmed up to younger teachers when I was in school. They weren't as 'parental' or threatening as were older teachers. And they hadn't yet lost their sense of humor as so many older teachers had.

When I think back on it, my oldest teachers (the ones who were old enough to have retired, but were still in it for the lolz) were as much fun as my younger teachers.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a good proportion of lower-wage parents (mothers or fathers, whichever) could actually stay home and homeschool if they looked at their finances clearly. And that's especially true with regard to daycare for younger children.

With regard to daycare, the total cost of going to work very quickly overcomes the benefit of low-end wages.

Moreover, homeschooling is actually very efficient. What a is covered in a classroom in 6 hours can be covered more effectively in two or three hours in a one-on-one situation.

However, what parents are getting now in terms of "distance learning" from public school systems is not efficient home schooling because nobody in the public school system knows how to do efficient home schooling. They're just streaming what they do in the classroom.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For in-person schooling? Class sizes cut down to one third, maybe rotating between class and home learning. All students have masks. Improved ventilation in the classrooms. Plastic barriers where possible, or face masks. Sanitation stations at the entrance of every class.

I don't know of many schools that could do this.
I'm sure the people pushing for kids going back to school. Don't want their tax dollars paying for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
This story documents the suspension of two students for posting pictures of a crowded hallway. The school was "social distancing." It's not possible.
‘It was chaos!’ Students get suspended for posting pictures of packed halls — now the high school is closing after 9 people were infected"

packed hall.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
This story documents the suspension of two students for posting pictures of a crowded hallway. The school was "social distancing." It's not possible.
‘It was chaos!’ Students get suspended for posting pictures of packed halls — now the high school is closing after 9 people were infected"

View attachment 282599

And now nine people including teachers have tested positive for Covid-19. They shut the school down for at least the next two days.

They were in school for a week?

This is why it's a bad idea for in-person learning right now, especially for areas where there are still thousands of positive cases each day.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
And now nine people including teachers have tested positive for Covid-19. They shut the school down for at least the next two days.

They were in school for a week?

This is why it's a bad idea for in-person learning right now, especially for areas where there are still thousands of positive cases each day.
There are people using critical thinking skills which are informed by epidemiological science, economics, patterns of social behavior, and then there are people who leave at least one of those out.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
There are people using critical thinking skills which are informed by epidemiological science, economics, patterns of social behavior, and then there are people who leave at least one of those out.

Yep, because economics should be the last thing that should be thought about when opening up schools.

Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"As shown, deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent."

Younger, prettier? Heck, I wish we could figure out a way to make them less liberal. Or failing that, at least teach in the subjects that they mastered in, not subjects that they barely passed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What!!! Where are you going to find qualified young teachers? There is already a huge shortage of teachers. I am one by the way. This cannot be a plausible solution. You would simply have babysitters at that point.

You would simply have babysitters at that point.

Pretty much the way it is now. ;o)

Since you are a teacher .... why are our educational systems failing so much?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Since you are a teacher .... why are our educational systems failing so much?
Good question--complicated. This gets into controversial socio-political territory real quick. I'll try to avoid that.

1. The institution of education is strong (the might seem counter-intuitive at first). Any student willing and able to learn in nearly any school in America has access to a great education.
a. Some students are not willing: factors include laziness (very rare), broke family structures (most common), and some systematic cultural bias from teachers (controversial territory). Everyone is guilty of cultural bias. My students are 98% Hispanic. I teach English and do not speak Spanish. We have some significant cultural differences. When I first began teaching, I realized my concept of what is and isn't respectful behavior was different from my students. They were not trying to disrespect me, they just had a different cultural operating system. They thought I needed to earn their respect; I though teachers were already deserving of respect until they lost it. I got angry a lot before I figured that out. There are many examples like that. Most teachers are white, like me. When a white teacher has little cultural connection to diverse student populations, they often struggle to become great teachers. This is one reason older teachers are needed. However, most teachers leave the classroom after five years. Young teachers = struggling students.

2. Parents. Research is clear; students who grow up with forty or more books in the home are far more likely to achieve higher standards and attend university. These students have a strong advantage--that's great. Parents who read to their kids past childhood (adolescents) have an extraordinary advantage; this is equal to a private school education. Most students do not encounter this advantage from the home. Teachers cannot effect parental changes of habit. We can only work with what we've got.

3. Poverty. The struggle is real. Many students are what we call food insecure; they may only eat at school. This is sad. Parents often cannot afford school supplies and school budgets often cannot supply them either (consider Donor's Choose, as a tax exempt donation). This is me being political for a second--we need tax increases to better fund education--end political talk.

Actually the list of why the education system is failing--it isn't just the education system that is failing--Americans are failing our kids. We are all to blame--that's why I joined the fight. I got out of the military and now serve my country by being a teacher. Please help--the kids need all of us.

The students who have all these resources are doing great. It isn't a kids fault they were born with disadvantage. Sweden and Norway do well because they have less poverty. We need to help our students overcome poverty before we can expect them to thrive as scholars.

Sorry this is so long--trust me, it could be a lot longer. Please anyone--jump in with thoughts or a critique of what I said.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good question--complicated. This gets into controversial socio-political territory real quick. I'll try to avoid that.

1. The institution of education is strong (the might seem counter-intuitive at first). Any student willing and able to learn in nearly any school in America has access to a great education.
a. Some students are not willing: factors include laziness (very rare), broke family structures (most common), and some systematic cultural bias from teachers (controversial territory). Everyone is guilty of cultural bias. My students are 98% Hispanic. I teach English and do not speak Spanish. We have some significant cultural differences. When I first began teaching, I realized my concept of what is and isn't respectful behavior was different from my students. They were not trying to disrespect me, they just had a different cultural operating system. They thought I needed to earn their respect; I though teachers were already deserving of respect until they lost it. I got angry a lot before I figured that out. There are many examples like that. Most teachers are white, like me. When a white teacher has little cultural connection to diverse student populations, they often struggle to become great teachers. This is one reason older teachers are needed. However, most teachers leave the classroom after five years. Young teachers = struggling students.

2. Parents. Research is clear; students who grow up with forty or more books in the home are far more likely to achieve higher standards and attend university. These students have a strong advantage--that's great. Parents who read to their kids past childhood (adolescents) have an extraordinary advantage; this is equal to a private school education. Most students do not encounter this advantage from the home. Teachers cannot effect parental changes of habit. We can only work with what we've got.

3. Poverty. The struggle is real. Many students are what we call food insecure; they may only eat at school. This is sad. Parents often cannot afford school supplies and school budgets often cannot supply them either (consider Donor's Choose, as a tax exempt donation). This is me being political for a second--we need tax increases to better fund education--end political talk.

Actually the list of why the education system is failing--it isn't just the education system that is failing--Americans are failing our kids. We are all to blame--that's why I joined the fight. I got out of the military and now serve my country by being a teacher. Please help--the kids need all of us.

The students who have all these resources are doing great. It isn't a kids fault they were born with disadvantage. Sweden and Norway do well because they have less poverty. We need to help our students overcome poverty before we can expect them to thrive as scholars.

Sorry this is so long--trust me, it could be a lot longer. Please anyone--jump in with thoughts or a critique of what I said.

I've asked quite a few kids what they think about school (not college level) and the response that I receive mostly is .... It's boring and a waste of time.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of these people don't care about the rise of infections. They don't read about it--they just watch the TV and click on websites that confirm their instincts and bias. It's as if the economy is all that matters to them.

How's this for confirmation bias. Nursing home residents/patients have an average lifespan of 2.1 years after admission. In other words they go there to die...with care. Many nursing homes lose a third or more of their residents each year.

I manage a large apartment building that was at one time filled with elderly tenants, many of whom eventually went to nursing homes. None survived more than a few months after admission.

It is also interesting that as Covid deaths increase among the elderly flu and other respiratory failure deaths decline. Many nursing home residents died of respiratory failure long before Covid. In fact it's a common cause of death among the elderly.

40 percent or more Covid deaths are those in elder care facilities. We are being held hostage by these deaths.

The media and others spoon feed statistics to us in order to keep us in a state of fear.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I think back on it, my oldest teachers (the ones who were old enough to have retired, but were still in it for the lolz) were as much fun as my younger teachers.

I had a couple of those too.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think a good proportion of lower-wage parents (mothers or fathers, whichever) could actually stay home and homeschool if they looked at their finances clearly. And that's especially true with regard to daycare for younger children.

With regard to daycare, the total cost of going to work very quickly overcomes the benefit of low-end wages.

Moreover, homeschooling is actually very efficient. What a is covered in a classroom in 6 hours can be covered more effectively in two or three hours in a one-on-one situation.

However, what parents are getting now in terms of "distance learning" from public school systems is not efficient home schooling because nobody in the public school system knows how to do efficient home schooling. They're just streaming what they do in the classroom.

The teachers unions don't like homeschooling either.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep, because economics should be the last thing that should be thought about when opening up schools.

This is reminiscent of the school security issue. We were led to believe that there had to be a one-size-fits-all approach. After the furor died down it was discovered that individual school districts quietly fashioned their own security plans. We could take a lesson.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've asked quite a few kids what they think about school (not college level) and the response that I receive mostly is .... It's boring and a waste of time.

That was my attitude as well back in the day.

"It's a horrible death, being bored to death." -Mark Twain

Upvote 0