US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As some of you know I am 26 and my bfs is 20. We've been together for more than a year.

My bfs mindset about the three that I mentioned in the title I don't understand.

I disagree with working 40 hours a week and feel it's way too long. Much too much time to be giving someone else.

I personally think the U.S. gov. steals from people when they take over 1/4 of our paychecks (including state taxes).

I realize with my current 40k salary and no 401, because companies are removing retirement plans, I will never reach financial independence at a JOB. I will have to find a way to make money to escape the system myself.

I am very interested in investing and minimalism and could care less about clothes, fancy cars, etc.

I don't really trust the bank with my money and I am careful where I put it.

I have a college degree but have to work 20 times harder finding a job to pay me what I'm worth.

I spend time on hobbies and ideas I think will make money and achieve something.

My bf tells me well if you don't want to work live in a box or be homeless.
He's fine with the 8 hour day.

My bf loves name brands and fancy clothes and spending money.

My bf doesn't worry about things or money too much infact he throws his money all over the floor.

My bf says oh stop worrying there are 401ks until I told him uh dude companies are getting rid of those and those fluctuate.

My bf gets bored easily and spends his free time watching YouTube videos, playing video games, or smoking.

How do I respect his mindset and still live the way I want to without getting mad? Last night I went into another hysterical fit telling him if I get stuck at this salary I'll never retire and that I want to move out of the U.S. I frequently cry about things like this and I have insomnia thinking about money and how I can make enough.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your bf is right. 40 hours a week is the minimum most need to work just to survive. To prosper you may have to work 60-70 hours a week (plus weekends). Of course the government and business is set up to work you to death and leave you with nothing. That's why you have to toss their rule book out and get a better one. That said you're both young and should be enjoying life more than worrying about how to make your first million.
You have m-u-c-h more time to get rich than you realize.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As some of you know I am 26 and my bfs is 20. We've been together for more than a year.

My bfs mindset about the three that I mentioned in the title I don't understand.

I disagree with working 40 hours a week and feel it's way too long. Much too much time to be giving someone else.

I personally think the U.S. gov. steals from people when they take over 1/4 of our paychecks (including state taxes).

I realize with my current 40k salary and no 401, because companies are removing retirement plans, I will never reach financial independence at a JOB. I will have to find a way to make money to escape the system myself.

I am very interested in investing and minimalism and could care less about clothes, fancy cars, etc.

I don't really trust the bank with my money and I am careful where I put it.

I have a college degree but have to work 20 times harder finding a job to pay me what I'm worth.

I spend time on hobbies and ideas I think will make money and achieve something.

My bf tells me well if you don't want to work live in a box or be homeless.
He's fine with the 8 hour day.

My bf loves name brands and fancy clothes and spending money.

My bf doesn't worry about things or money too much infact he throws his money all over the floor.

My bf says oh stop worrying there are 401ks until I told him uh dude companies are getting rid of those and those fluctuate.

My bf gets bored easily and spends his free time watching YouTube videos, playing video games, or smoking.

How do I respect his mindset and still live the way I want to without getting mad? Last night I went into another hysterical fit telling him if I get stuck at this salary I'll never retire and that I want to move out of the U.S. I frequently cry about things like this and I have insomnia thinking about money and how I can make enough.

You can leave the US AFTER you retire. Other countries will
not allow you in anyway. Make your career here.

If you have different ways of handling money, such
as you like it in your wallet, he likes it on the floor,
then he may never change, and you will remain
miserable for your short life. You must make changes.
Likely he will not.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can leave the US AFTER you retire. Other countries will
not allow you in anyway. Make your career here.

If you have different ways of handling money, such
as you like it in your wallet, he likes it on the floor,
then he may never change, and you will remain
miserable for your short life. You must make changes.
Likely he will not.

He'll likely be a much different person at 30. Right now he needs someone to pick up after him.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He'll likely be a much different person at 30. Right now he needs someone to pick up after him.
Very unlikely.
Ha!......I volunteer to clean the floor until he changes!
Free of charge.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟99,832.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
You are on here repeatedly saying you don't like your bf, hate him, don't want to raise a kid with him, etc... maybe you should realize that you are both just too different for one another and move on.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very unlikely.
Ha!......I volunteer to clean the floor until he changes!
Free of charge.

Remember that his bones are still soft, especially the ones in his head. ^_^

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel like my love for my bf outweighs my annoyance at least most days. He is very very intelligent(reads all the time, carries on intelligent conversation, interested in government and history, etc.) and he does have a Christian foundation even if he doesn't usually follow it. I just tend to feel like he thinks the way broke people think. He loves rap videos with rappers wasting money and I hate them lol. I also think I can work to get a high paying job or business and create passive income then work less. I just don't understand people that want to work low paying jobs 40+ hours a week and spend the rest of their time having fun. To me I am young but if I spend my time enjoying my life and not planning I'll be one of those people that has to work the rest of my life. Therefore I dislike when people tell me I'm young enjoy life. I simply cannot until I have gained enough financial security and satisfaction with my income and accomplish ments

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like my love for my bf outweighs my annoyance at least most days. He is very very intelligent(reads all the time, carries on intelligent conversation, interested in government and history, etc.) and he does have a Christian foundation even if he doesn't usually follow it. I just tend to feel like he thinks the way broke people think. He loves rap videos with rappers wasting money and I hate them lol. I also think I can work to get a high paying job or business and create passive income then work less. I just don't understand people that want to work low paying jobs 40+ hours a week and spend the rest of their time having fun. To me I am young but if I spend my time enjoying my life and not planning I'll be one of those people that has to work the rest of my life. Therefore I dislike when people tell me I'm young enjoy life. I simply cannot until I have gained enough financial security and satisfaction with my income and accomplish ments

A young, single person making 40K a year should have no problem gaining financial independence at a young age (say by age 50) and having fun doing it. Of course you can't get married, have kids, etc. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A young, single person making 40K a year should have no problem gaining financial independence at a young age (say by age 50) and having fun doing it. Of course you can't get married, have kids, etc. Good luck.
I mostly agree with you because my oldest daughter has actually succeeded in doing it, and doing it alone. Of coarse she makes much more than she did when she was first out of college, much more now than 40K, but she started at much less than that, too.
But one could get married as long as the other person has the same goals and a plan on how to get there. If they combined income is high enough a couple of kids wouldn't be a problem either.

Upvote 0