Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't seen that very much in evidence and each year it seems to me that the idea that government ought to be accountable to the people is being replaced by the idea that the people ought to be passively subservient to a government that is increasingly less concerned with the welfare of the general populace and more concerned with the welfare of special interests.
Then vote for people who will be accountable to you after elected. I find that the Democratic Party is far more interested in building a government team that is accountable to the people.

"If you've got a business—you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." Barak Obama on the inability of private individuals to accomplish anything without government assistance through public work projects.
Context, please. In context the "that" means the infrastructure that companies use to make their money, even though they didn't build "that".

We can accomplish things without government. Cavemen accomplished things without government. But we will not accomplish the great things that Americans have accomplished unless we have government.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
and who do you propose would or should help the thousands of people who need it after things like this?

Speaking from personal experience - your neighbors and local governments and churches. We still haven't received the promised funds from FEMA, 18 months after over 100 tornadoes hit Alabama.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking from personal experience - your neighbors and local governments and churches. We still haven't received the promised funds from FEMA, 18 months after over 100 tornadoes hit Alabama.

Neighbors, local governments and churches don't have enough helicopters and the complex skills needed in many situations. Government organizations can provide an extra level of help.

FEMA is limited by funding. Yesterday Fox news was complaining that FEMA is not running multiple trucks with gasoline into the disaster area. Uh, Fox, if you are going to cut budgets, the supplies aren't going to be there when needed.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Neighbors are good but they aren't going to take care of you for 18 months. Who is going to help those who lost everything, literally?

I am all for grass roots help but depending on the scale of the need and certainly in the immediate aftermath you need large government organizations to mobilize and assist. Local governments do not have helicopters or the expertise to handle many of the things required in the immediate aftermath.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Neighbors, local governments and churches don't have enough helicopters and the complex skills needed in many situations. Government organizations can provide an extra level of help.

FEMA is limited by funding. Yesterday Fox news was complaining that FEMA is not running multiple trucks with gasoline into the disaster area. Uh, Fox, if you are going to cut budgets, the supplies aren't going to be there when needed.

You didn't refute anything I said. Look at Katrina. Same story.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If Churches and private charity could handle this sort of thing w/out govt., wouldn't they be doing so already, and the needs would already be completely addressed without any FEMA inputs or coordination ?

Yes, and they did that in Alabama. My church was out every day helping with the recovery. Tuscaloosa still has not seen the promised FEMA money, 18 months later.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Yes, and they did that in Alabama. My church was out every day helping with the recovery. Tuscaloosa still has not seen the promised FEMA money, 18 months later.

Why not start a national drive among Churches for reimbursement then ?

Local communities always do pitch in and help one another - indeed.

But why aren't all needs in the Sandy-hit region already met by Churches nationwide ?

(We could use gas here - stations have run out, some have jacked prices by .75 and 1.00 a gallon, and there was a 1/4 mile + line - it snaked round an intersection, so I couldn't see - of cars from NJ and NY at one station. Send it on ^_^)

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why not start a national drive among Churches for reimbursement then ?

Local communities always do pitch in and help one another - indeed.

But why aren't all needs in the Sandy-hit region already met by Churches nationwide ?

(We could use gas here - stations have run out, some have jacked prices by .75 and 1.00 a gallon, and there was a 1/4 mile + line - it snaked round an intersection, so I couldn't see - of cars from NJ and NY at one station. Send it on ^_^)

Good ideas. People from Alabama are in your area. I won't forget the people who came from Michigan and all over the South to help us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

Good ideas. People from Alabama are in your area. I won't forget the people who came from Michigan and all over the South to help us.

We have Kentuckians in this region of PA.

But I do think instead of arguing over FEMA no FEMA, everyone does as much as possible. And I tend to think those that can help have been -- so the evidence is that we do need some sort of helping and coordinating mechanism like FEMA.

Instead of getting rid of it politically, we need to demonstrate that it isn't needed first. So far, that hasn't happened.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We have Kentuckians in this region of PA.

But I do think instead of arguing over FEMA no FEMA, everyone does as much as possible. And I tend to think those that can help have been -- so the evidence is that we do need some sort of helping and coordinating mechanism like FEMA.

Instead of getting rid of it politically, we need to demonstrate that it isn't needed first. So far, that hasn't happened.

If your second statement is about FEMA, I think given it's past, we need to see FEMA working as efficiently as state and local governments to keep funding it as a centralized government function. So far, I am not impressed.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

If your second statement is about FEMA, I think given it's past, we need to see FEMA working as efficiently as state and local governments to keep funding it as a centralized government function. So far, I am not impressed.

There's always room for improvement - and FEMA is no exception. Local and state govts. aren't always in shape to replace everything that FEMA does -- or the mayor will hear it from me on gas shipments ^_^

Imo, it takes people, Churches, local and state gov., Red Cross/charities and I am happy to have the national gov/FEMA involved too.

In a crisis, it does take so many, as many, and all of us.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There's always room for improvement - and FEMA is no exception. Local and state govts. aren't always in shape to replace everything that FEMA does -- or the mayor will hear it from me on gas shipments ^_^

Imo, it takes people, Churches, local and state gov., Red Cross/charities and I am happy to have the national gov/FEMA involved too.

In a crisis, it does take so many, as many, and all of us.

Can you get gas out of the pumps? That was one of our worst problems. Everything runs on electricity, and when the power went out, despite plenty of gas, nothing could be pumped.

FEMA needs some serious work, if it is to continue forward, but I'm skeptical given all the attention since Katrina and so far in Alabama we've seen no improvement.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Can you get gas out of the pumps? That was one of our worst problems. Everything runs on electricity, and when the power went out, despite plenty of gas, nothing could be pumped.

The stations with electricity are open, thankfully.
Our area is almost completely restored, and hopefully will be finished by Tue. (1/4 to 1/3 of polling places in our county have no electricity).

But even the open stations have been running out -- we're a little over an hour from NYC, and much closer to NJ. That's been the main problem - the gas station lines were almost entirely cars from NJ and some from NY.

My husband was able to get gas for our van -- I'll just try to wait it out (especially with prices jumping so high ).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The stations with electricity are open, thankfully.
Our area is almost completely restored, and hopefully will be finished by Tue. (1/4 to 1/3 of polling places in our county have no electricity).

But even the open stations have been running out -- we're a little over an hour from NYC, and much closer to NJ. That's been the main problem - the gas station lines were almost entirely cars from NJ and some from NY.

My husband was able to get gas for our van -- I'll just try to wait it out (especially with prices jumping so high ).

I saw this in the news:

NJ faces gas rationing, days more without power - NewsWatch - MarketWatch

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Right - they're on even/odd license plate rationing now (and some talk that we'll get it).

The pipeline has been re-opened, and docks in NYC are now able to accept delivery of fuel. There are also military trucks dispensing fuel in NYC iirc. But the demand is huge - emergency vehicles, repair vehicles, etc. get priority, and demand is up (with so many people using generators - many of the out-of-state vehicles here were filling additional containers). Our grocery stores are getting out-of-town customers, too. Still looking a bit wiped out, but they're stocking the floor with skids of water ...

I spoke w/ a friend in the Morristown NJ area - they were told (yesterday) 10 days for restoration; she wasn't sure if that was counting from yesterday or the initial outage.

It's a huge mess there, God with them +

Our home is on a hospital grid, so electricity came back pretty quickly. (Last year it was 4 or 5 days, as our neighborhood lost transformers and lines.)

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Same happened here. Hospitals were back online within hours. They had local generators until new power lines could be run. Residencies came next, and business came back online last. I continue to pray for those in the disaster areas.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Same happened here. Hospitals were back online within hours. They had local generators until new power lines could be run. Residencies came next, and business came back online last. I continue to pray for those in the disaster areas.

A sensible plan imo.

The hospital here had 3 days generator fuel, so we were restored w/in 2 days.
And the city had fuel stored for generators to keep water supplied - good planning on their part.

Prayers are always good :)

And the list is always so much larger than we can know (I used to wonder if that's why the news always has so much negative coverage -- it gives us our more for our prayer list :))

Thanks !

Upvote 0