We have 10 years to save Earth's biodiversity as mass extinction caused by humans takes hold, UN war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Criminal, yes. What would you call behaviour that jeopardizes human and animal life.

In any event, the issue is not, in my opinion, whether Jesus will return but when - it is irresponsible to abandon our Biblically mandated responsibility to care for God’s creation just because we believe that Jesus is returning. Will He not be righteously ticked if, in the meantime, humans and animals suffer needlessly?

What is your plan of action?

We all have to make a living,

so what happens, down tools?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Has nothing to do with testing anyone, I simply believe what the bible said it would be like i the end. What do you think I'm going do to test him?
You're doing the same thing Jesus refused to do in the desert: take a plunge in the belief that you'll be caught.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah yeah I heard all before. These doomsday prophets keep getting more ridiculous.
Except they are not doomsday prophets, but scientists making predictions based on actual data.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Lovely.

IOW you know you had no good point to begin with and now you're going to cop out with that? lol
I know, how dare I suggest a christian read the bible.

• Haha
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Scientist doomsday prophets of the worst kind. They always get it wrong.
Except that it is an observed fact that biodiversity is being destroyed at an unprecedented rate from the rainforests, oceanlife to the mass death of bee colonies,

They are not doomsday prophets. Please stop knowingly and deliberately lying.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Except that it is an observed fact that biodiversity is being destroyed at an unprecedented rate from the rainforests, oceanlife to the mass death of bee colonies,

I've read one guy stating that the apocalypse has been announced so often that now, it holds no more threat even when there is proof.

Mankind has cried wolf itself into destruction.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What makes this generation more wicked than generations that have gone before?

Seeing as it is predicted we have ten years.

Wondering if the concept is well thought through.

There are plenty of a la Gretas, burdening mankind with guilt.

What is the average Joe supposed to do about it?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They've been wrong plenty of times before. Scientists are far from infallible. Anyway, why worry? What good would that do?

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Puny man has no power to destroy earth,.....
The facts indicate otherwise. It is clear beyond reason that mankind does indeed have the power to destroy the earth - not obliterate the planet, of course, but basically kill billions of people with nuclear weapons.

There is an ominous issue bubbling just under the surface of this thread - how a fundamentalist thinking can insidiously distort thinking. And so we get things like this:

- the world is 6000 years old;
- we should not attempt to legally depose President Trump because "God put him in power";
- climate change is a massive hoax.
- and so on.

I am sure the people who hold these untenable positions did not wake up one morning and decide to believe irrational things - it is clearly a slow process and no doubt the people who believe these things genuinely believe they are in the right.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Time tables are soooooo accurate........
I believe environmentalism is new to "the end is nigh" warning. The downside of cataclysm talk is when these things don't accurately happen it soons becomes the story of the boy who cried wolf and when the wolf finally does come people won't see him coming.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Recklessly?

What do you think calling a description of what is clearly the return of Christ/second coming,....
The point is that it is NOT clearly a description of Christ's second coming.

Consider this text from Daniel which was well known to Jesus' contemporaries:

“I kept looking in the night visions,
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14 “And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and [k]a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every [l]language
Might serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed

Is the "coming" of the Son of Man (clearly Jesus) a downward return, as in the second coming?

No. It is an upward ascent of vindication after defeating the beasts - clearly descriptive of Jesus' victory at the cross and attendant installation as Lord of all creation.

So, as we see, there is a powerful argument that texts that refer to Jesus's "coming" may refer to his coming up to heaven after His victory at the cross - something that has already happened - and not a downward "second coming".

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The point is that it is NOT clearly a description of Christ's second coming.

Consider this text from Daniel which was well known to Jesus' contemporaries:

“I kept looking in the night visions,
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14 “And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and [k]a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every [l]language
Might serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed

Is the "coming" of the Son of Man (clearly Jesus) a downward return, as in the second coming?

No. It is an upward ascent of vindication after defeating the beasts - clearly descriptive of Jesus' victory at the cross and attendant installation as Lord of all creation.

So, as we see, there is a powerful argument that texts that refer to Jesus's "coming" may refer to his coming up to heaven after His victory at the cross - something that has already happened - and not a downward "second coming".

You can sit there with a straight face and actually tell me you believe the world we now live in is actually run by Christ?

Was it this thread were I mentioned using a little common sense, so between that and the fact most Christians believe Christ has yet to come and for a good reason, IO seriously doubt yours is the case.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Someone cited Matthew 24 in support of the belief that Jesus is coming to fix things.

This is precisely what I meant when, in an earlier post, I referred to “dubious interpretations”. As do some scholars of high repute, I believe that this text refers to something that has already happened in the first century. I can explain, if requested.

If this is so, then those who are willing to abdicate the otherwise clear Biblical mandate to care for the planet in the hope that Jesus is coming soon have made a huge mistake with devastating global consequences.

All because they misinterpreted a particular chunk of verses.

What’s worse, I pretty much guarantee that they will not even consider the possibility they are mistaken - another hurtful consequence of the fundamentalist mindset.
21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. Matthew 24:21
Hmmm, you'd think there would at least be a footnote in the history books about that: "distress.....never to be equaled again." Nope, can't find it anywhere in the history books.

• Winner
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.