The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Hey folks, welcome to the new Cooking and Culinary Arts forum. A couple of weeks ago I was making some loose meat sandwiches and I got to thinking, "Does CF have a forum for discussing recipes?" Well I looked and lo and behold we had no such thing. Later that night, my stomach full of delicious fatty sandwiches, I couldn't help but think that a website like CF with all its members ought to have a forum for recipe sharing and cooking discussion. I messaged one of our friendly neighborhood mods about this and long story short, here we are with our very own forum just for food! So here's a simple little recipe that started all this off, loose meat sandwiches.

1lb ground beef (fattier the better)
1/2 medium sized onion (diced)
2 tblspoons of butter
3 tblspoons of ketchup
1 tblspoon of salt
1 tblspoon of pepper
2 tblspoons of brown sugar
1 tblspoon of garlic powder
A sprinkling of cinnamon (to taste)

Brown beef in a dutch oven, add diced onion and butter. Mix in sugar, salt, etc as the onions are cooking. Let meat sit on low heat until you're hungry. Spoon meat on a hamburger bun. Eat. Easy as pie (feel free to serve pie afterwards).

I look forward to all the recipes we're gonna be sharing here and all the food I'll be eating because of that. I also wanna thank all the mods, admins, and various individuals who helped create this forum, especially MarkRohfrietsch.

And remember folks. Don't throw those bones away. Throw em in a pot with a potato, some broth.....
baby-you-got-a-stew-goin-thumb.jpg

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Now that I am looking at 65 in a few weeks, I am amazed that it took me this long to find out how great it is to cook with cast iron. Now that I can barely lift the things! I've owned a couple of restaurants and worked in several and always shied away from them as I found them too heavy and everything stuck to them. Now I find out it's because I didn't know anything about them. In fact, I has 2 small skillets (5-6 in.) and a 9 in square I picked up at a swap meet. The 9 in I would get out and scrub heck out of it once in a while for over 9 years--it was in horrible condition, burned. The little ones I hung on the wall above my stove as decoration. After I had to quite work and go on disability I started to learn about them and finished scrubbing up the 9 in. and then I started to use these. I found how to season them and take care f them and --wow---I got hooked. I have 2 5 qt dutch, and a 15 in. skillet that just stays on the stove due to it's weight. I just got 2 bread pans. There is nit one single thing that I have cooked that does not taste better! Why is that? Even the bread bakes more even and I get a much higher rise. My husband refused to try it for meat loaf, didn't think it would be any good--wrong! Now we wouldn't think of using anything else. 'roasts are so much better even than a crockpot. He is a little upset at the amount of money we've spent over the years on all those other pans. I am deathly afraid of dropping one, esp if it lands on my ceramic glass cooktop--it would shatter it.
Corn bread is also better.
I just finished making caramel, pecan cinnamon buns for hubby--but I had to use my old aluminum pan for that. I made 2 loaves of raisin cinnamon bread from the same dough and used my new bread pans and they rose very high and look just stunning.

What kind of recipes we looking for--any? I do a lot of baking, anyone interested in breads and such? Just experimented with carrot cake cookies that everybody went ape for. Worked on browned butter chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks. (3 different kinds, not all the chips in one---hmmm---I wonder?)--My husband loves cookies and we have friends that do us a lot of good deeds and we give them cookies and other baked goods in thanks as they know we have no money. Work for goodies!

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Winter's coming on - it'll be here soon.
Can't come too soon. There's something about winter which I love moreover summer...not just the food; however the food is more homely in winter.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best thing about summer is the fresh fruit - blueberries, cherries and raspberries. Even mulberries.

My favorite dessert is too simple to even call a recipe: nuke blueberries until just warm but not cooked, add a bit of sweetener of choice and a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt. That's what I'm going to miss most about summer; that, and the sunlight late into the day.

Are there any winter fruits that are good with yogurt? I wonder if boiled carrots would work...

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The best thing about summer is the fresh fruit - blueberries, cherries and raspberries. Even mulberries.

My favorite dessert is too simple to even call a recipe: nuke blueberries until just warm but not cooked, add a bit of sweetener of choice and a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt. That's what I'm going to miss most about summer; that, and the sunlight late into the day.

Are there any winter fruits that are good with yogurt? I wonder if boiled carrots would work...

Try roasting the carrots with parsnips, instead of boiling--much better, to me, anyway. Roasted squashes are good with yogurt also--and don't forget to add roasted garlic!

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Now that I am looking at 65 in a few weeks, I am amazed that it took me this long to find out how great it is to cook with cast iron. Now that I can barely lift the things! I've owned a couple of restaurants and worked in several and always shied away from them as I found them too heavy and everything stuck to them. Now I find out it's because I didn't know anything about them. In fact, I has 2 small skillets (5-6 in.) and a 9 in square I picked up at a swap meet. The 9 in I would get out and scrub heck out of it once in a while for over 9 years--it was in horrible condition, burned. The little ones I hung on the wall above my stove as decoration. After I had to quite work and go on disability I started to learn about them and finished scrubbing up the 9 in. and then I started to use these. I found how to season them and take care f them and --wow---I got hooked. I have 2 5 qt dutch, and a 15 in. skillet that just stays on the stove due to it's weight. I just got 2 bread pans. There is nit one single thing that I have cooked that does not taste better! Why is that? Even the bread bakes more even and I get a much higher rise. My husband refused to try it for meat loaf, didn't think it would be any good--wrong! Now we wouldn't think of using anything else. 'roasts are so much better even than a crockpot. He is a little upset at the amount of money we've spent over the years on all those other pans. I am deathly afraid of dropping one, esp if it lands on my ceramic glass cooktop--it would shatter it.
Corn bread is also better.
I just finished making caramel, pecan cinnamon buns for hubby--but I had to use my old aluminum pan for that. I made 2 loaves of raisin cinnamon bread from the same dough and used my new bread pans and they rose very high and look just stunning.

What kind of recipes we looking for--any? I do a lot of baking, anyone interested in breads and such? Just experimented with carrot cake cookies that everybody went ape for. Worked on browned butter chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks. (3 different kinds, not all the chips in one---hmmm---I wonder?)--My husband loves cookies and we have friends that do us a lot of good deeds and we give them cookies and other baked goods in thanks as they know we have no money. Work for goodies!

Cast iron cooking is the way to go.

Any recipes you can come up with is fine here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

Hey, that's a snack, it requires ingredients, it counts.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
sounds good.
Do you have a large family to feed?
I made turkey chili this weekend, it was fine but no culinary masterpiece. Homemade cornbread was a hit.

No I don't cook for a large family. My girlfriend loves turkey chili so I may need to hear about that. I made some outrageously spicy deer chili last Wednesday.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have gotten into cooking over the last few years. There were always a few recipes that I could knock out, but now when I go out I think how I would cook the same meal. Many many years ago I had some borscht and I have been obsessed with it lately. Yesterday I made this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hot-beef-borscht-with-sour-cream-3189

It turned out pretty good, but the borcht I had in the past may have had shredded beets. Instead of cubed ones. My housemate, that tends to refuse to try anything new, liked it. I do the cooking and she complains about my cooking because she says the food is too good and is making her fat.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
I have gotten into cooking over the last few years. There were always a few recipes that I could knock out, but now when I go out I think how I would cook the same meal. Many many years ago I had some borscht and I have been obsessed with it lately. Yesterday I made this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hot-beef-borscht-with-sour-cream-3189

It turned out pretty good, but the borcht I had in the past may have had shredded beets. Instead of cubed ones. My housemate, that tends to refuse to try anything new, liked it. I do the cooking and she complains about my cooking because she says the food is too good and is making her fat.

Never had borscht. May have to try that. I do the same thing when I go to restaurants. "The soup was good but if IIIIII made it I would add this and that and....."

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Over to yours for dinner this evening?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Over to yours for dinner this evening?
Since there are only two of us here I have tons of leftovers. I am going to bring some to my parents. My dad is in a care facility, he eats the food, but does not seem to enjoy it. In fact the last time I brought him food there were beef short ribs in the recipe. I did a braised beef short ribs and served them over polenta.

Polenta is a recent discovery of mine. It is probably very familiar to crjmurray, even though he may not have eaten it. It is basically a form of grits. Very easy to make and a nice switch from mashed potatoes.

At any rate my mother called me because dinner had been very very poor and she wondered if I had any food. I had just finished cooking and ran some over. He attacked my dinner in a way that made the work more than worthwhile. My only regret was that I should have brought more.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Since there are only two of us here I have tons of leftovers. I am going to bring some to my parents. My dad is in a care facility, he eats the food, but does not seem to enjoy it. In fact the last time I brought him food there were beef short ribs in the recipe. I did a braised beef short ribs and served them over polenta.

Polenta is a recent discovery of mine. It is probably very familiar to crjmurray, even though he may not have eaten it. It is basically a form of grits. Very easy to make and a nice switch from mashed potatoes.

At any rate my mother called me because dinner had been very very poor and she wondered if I had any food. I had just finished cooking and ran some over. He attacked my dinner in a way that made the work more than worthwhile. My only regret was that I should have brought more.
I see, it sounds like you are the maestro in your kitchen.
That's very good of you to take leftovers to your parents, there are many who wouldn't.
I confess that I cannot really cook; for ease I have nasty ready meals at some frequency.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

I eat grits regularly but I wouldn't be caught dead calling it polenta!

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I eat grits regularly but I wouldn't be caught dead calling it polenta!
Related but different food. Polenta is a corn meal porridge. Corn meal is boiled in water with some butter and salt added. A double boiler is suggested but I if you are careful and stir a lot you can do it in a regular pot. It is even good the next day. It has a bit more substance than mashed potatoes and goes well with strongly flavored foods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

Not all that different from grits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I see, it sounds like you are the maestro in your kitchen.
That's very good of you to take leftovers to your parents, there are many who wouldn't.
I confess that I cannot really cook; for ease I have nasty ready meals at some frequency.

Thank you, but I just muddle along. I can follow instructions, many people can't. And once I cook something, or even if I have cooked something similar, I am not afraid to change the recipe a bit.

Upvote 0