We found 85,000 cops who’ve been investigated for misconduct. Now you can read their records.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
We found 85,000 cops who’ve been investigated for misconduct. Now you can read their records.
At least 85,000 law enforcement officers across the USA have been investigated or disciplined for misconduct over the past decade, an investigation by USA TODAY Network found.

Officers have beaten members of the public, planted evidence and used their badges to harass women. They have lied, stolen, dealt drugs, driven drunk and abused their spouses.

Despite their role as public servants, the men and women who swear an oath to keep communities safe can generally avoid public scrutiny for their misdeeds.

The records of their misconduct are filed away, rarely seen by anyone outside their departments. Police unions and their political allies have worked to put special protections in place ensuring some records are shielded from public view, or even destroyed.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting but what period of time is being reported and where is the data source that verifies these statics? All short cuts relate to an individual by name search. I want to see the entire raw data before I even begin to believe something written by the liberal media. We do not know what qualifies as misconduct in this report or how many of these complaints were found to be supported when investigated. Citizens can make complaints about almost anything and everything. I would call this article long on opinion and short on facts.
from the article:
Less than 10% of officers in most police forces get investigated for misconduct. people should consider there are more than 750,000 law enforcement officers in the country when looking at individual misconduct data. Most misconduct involves routine infractions, but the records reveal tens of thousands of cases of serious misconduct and abuse.
“The scrutiny is way tighter on police officers than most folks, and that’s why sometimes you see high numbers of misconduct cases,” Hils said. “But I believe that policemen tend to be more honest and more trustworthy than the average citizen.”

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Very interesting but what period of time is being reported and where is the data source that verifies these statics? All short cuts relate to an individual by name search. I want to see the entire raw data before I even begin to believe something written by the liberal media. We do not know what qualifies as misconduct in this report or how many of these complaints were found to be supported when investigated. Citizens can make complaints about almost anything and everything. I would call this article long on opinion and short on facts.
from the article:
Less than 10% of officers in most police forces get investigated for misconduct. people should consider there are more than 750,000 law enforcement officers in the country when looking at individual misconduct data. Most misconduct involves routine infractions, but the records reveal tens of thousands of cases of serious misconduct and abuse.
“The scrutiny is way tighter on police officers than most folks, and that’s why sometimes you see high numbers of misconduct cases,” Hils said. “But I believe that policemen tend to be more honest and more trustworthy than the average citizen.”
You should read the DOJ reports on police misconduct, there is a severe systemic problem throughout the institution of law enforcement across the nation.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should read the DOJ reports on police misconduct, there is a severe systemic problem throughout the institution of law enforcement across the nation.
If you have evidence from DOJ that supports your argument post it otherwise it cannot be considered as existing. Just saying that there is "a severe systemic problem" with police misconduct does not make it true.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It makes me think that the article fails to provide any proof for the claims it is making.
And you’ll see up thread I clicked agree on one of your posts.

This information fits the easily visible pattern of purge American police being more bad apples than good but on it’s own it is not very compelling.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting but what period of time is being reported

The answer is in the OP, in the first sentence quoted from the article. Seems like the first thing one would have read were one actually interested in discussing the details of the thread topic.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The answer is in the OP, in the first sentence quoted from the article. Seems like the first thing one would have read were one actually interested in discussing the details of the thread topic.
And it you read the article you will find "The records USA TODAY and its partners gathered include tens of thousands of internal investigations, lawsuit settlements and secret separation deals dating back to the 1960s." So what period of time is the report using" Guess you did not read past the first line. Oh I know you went actually interested.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And it you read the article you will find "The records USA TODAY and its partners gathered include tens of thousands of internal investigations, lawsuit settlements and secret separation deals dating back to the 1960s." So what period of time is the report using" Guess you did not read past the first line. Oh I know you went actually interested.

Seems pretty clear to me. They collected data which includes longer time periods, but reported on the number of cases from that data specifically over the last decade.

So now that this mystery is resolved, what's the next attempt to distract from the reporting?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of your links is error 404 and the police reports do not support your article or your position on police. Maybe instead of attempting to provide a blanket report that requires reading an entire report you could extract and quote the portions that you think support your assertions. This is not high school were you can impress people with the number of pages in your report. Now
do you have any evidence.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One of your links is error 404 and the police reports do not support your article or your position on police. Maybe instead of attempting to provide a blanket report that requires reading an entire report you could extract and quote the portions that you think support your assertions. This is not high school were you can impress people with the number of pages in your report. Now
do you have any evidence.
I imagine there's a lot of evidence in the links that your post complained were too long to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0