• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

We don't have 4 years to waste

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by MorkandMindy, Jan 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MorkandMindy

MorkandMindy Senior Veteran Supporter

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    I worked there 3 and a half years until the end of May 2019

from Sept 2015 to end of 2016 the base pay was 9.00 dollars an hour which was enough to live on and I got medicaid and the work was a real challenge but possible

2017 pay went up to 10.00 an hour. I went to the office to complain and there was someone already in there complaining. The decision was from on high and there was nothing we could do.

during 2017 staffing levels decreased with wastage and the job became just barely impossible, 10% higher pay meant 10% fewer staff.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Curtis.Hilliker

Curtis.Hilliker Now what.......

+613
    United States
    Charismatic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    Is everything ok?

3. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    2018 pay went up to 11.00 an hour, a further cut in staffing level, job became ridiculous, I was doing four jobs at the same time. I knew automation would be coming soon, then I lost my medicaid so I had to leave in 2019 May when my 12 month prescription ran out.

2020 January automation arrived:

IMAG2990.jpg

4. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    why do people think raising the minimum wage is a good idea?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    this isn't going to stop, people are going to continue making bad decisions, moving jobs out of the US or automating the ones that can't be moved.

and pushing up pay rates on the lowest paid jobs until it is economic to automate them

if that's happening that far down the economy it is going to happen everywhere

I was a Republican until a month ago, but I've changed my mind. We don't need a President, we need a miracle, and his name is Andrew Yang, read his book

6. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+12,047
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    What am I looking at here?

7. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    Those ISO shipping containers contain automated check outs, there should be other automation for stocking shelves and price checking soon as well

that's quite a chunk of the parking lot occupied with new things

8. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    That once familiar sight is looking very strange to my eyes, things really are changing

9. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+7,046
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    And if you lived in my state, you would have seen unemployment benefits cut from a maximum of 26 weeks to a maximum of 16 weeks. What is needed for you, dear Mork and Mindy, is an unemployment benefits option that would allow for career retraining (paid) at community college or trade school, and unemployment extensions during the course of study.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+7,416
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Job displacement due to automation is perhaps the biggest challenge facing our country in the coming years.

11. Innsmuthbride

Innsmuthbride Ia Ia Cthulhu

+10
    Pantheist
    Married
    So..What should we do? Lower minimum wage to $1 a year? Make a maximum wage by job type. Warehouse/service workers max $5 a year, Secretaries and similar jobs Max $10 year , lower management max $5 an hour, middle management max $10 an hour, upper management max $30 an hour CEO's minimum 100,000,000 an hour? Since the lower the wage the more jobs are created right?

12. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+9,939
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Automation is the #1 direct choice that is made as the result of easily obtained abortions.

The abortions in turn reduce the number of workers that are available to make/manufacture the goods that folks need in order to raise the kids that they aren't having.

If you follow the cycle, you will see that the reduction in children produced will directly affect the reduction in products that are made for children, the number of schools and teachers that are no longer needed, the participation in extra circular activities is reduced, the number of busses needed for transportation, et cetera.

The next thing to realize is that we will also have a natural reduction in the population as a result that the largest population group, "The Baby Boomers" is quickly dying out due to old age.

So we have two factors that are affecting the problem of job automation: lack of available workers from the top down, and also from the bottom up.
    That leaves the traditional 4 groups of workers by age:

workers in their teens and 20's (the smallest group)
    workers in their 30-40's (still a viable, technical savvy group)
    workers in their 50's (most likely to be replaced by automation)
    workers in their 60's (either manage or be booted; the second smallest group)

So the result is that the pool of available workers will be squeezed into a work force that consists of the employees who are most capable of working with automation.

That's what is coming down the track.

13. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+7,416
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ah no. Automation is driven by capitalism (i.e. produce goods in the most efficient manner).

The current problem is the lack of available skilled workers to fill the jobs of today.

14. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+18,616
    Agnostic
    Single
    I can't say I've ever heard of abortions leading to automation...

Seems an unnecessary risk to me; no matter what your personal feelings are, all medical procedures should be performed by a competent human doctor...

15. MorkandMindy

+423
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    Automation is now viable for a lot of jobs, at least a quarter, and we need a President who understands what is going on and has already proposed a measure for dealing with the worst of it - UBI

we can't just take a has been and hope he/she wakes up at some point during the crisis

16. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,854
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Paid" by who?