South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If all that Christ did in His life was to follow GOD's commandments to the full and fulfil all things as many suggest, how do I do the things He said to do without becoming legalistic and why are somethings okay to follow what He says and not others, who decides?

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to be His disciple we must forsake all to follow Him. We must "count" the cost of being His disciple. He must be our priority, the most important relationship in this life. We are His bride, He is our husband. Think of it like a marriage when the wife pledges to be faithful to her husband and put His needs above her own. Its sacrificial love, a selfless love. We as believers are the bride of Christ. We are wed to Him !

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If all that Christ did in His life was to follow GOD's commandments to the full and fulfil all things as many suggest, how do I do the things He said to do without becoming legalistic and why are somethings okay to follow what He says and not others, who decides?

Wow, you really think that's all Jesus did was to obey the Law?

If you want to follow Christ, do what his actual followers did.
  • Walked with him daily.
  • Denied themselves.
  • Listened to his words/teachings. [For us, that's read the Bible]
  • Asked him questions.
  • Obeyed him. [He gave three commandments: "Love God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind."; "Love your neighbor as yourself."; "Love one another as I have loved you."]
  • As a church after his death - fulfilled the Great Commission. [For us, that's telling others and teaching others about Christ. The church baptizes and teaches also.]
Jesus said that obeying the two "greatest" commandments - the first two I listed - covered all the rest.

For example - if you love your neighbor, you won't steal from him, lie about him, harm him, or kill him.

If you love God with all your heart, etc..... - you won't blaspheme him, commit idolatry, or take his name with vain meaning.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is very very simple.

You in your life demonstrate your love for Jesus by your obedience to his commands.
What were his commands, again very simple.
The ten commandments, which he summed up in the OT as:-
Love the Lord your God with All your strength, mind and spirit and to Love your neighbour as you love your self.

If you obey Jesus's commands it is not legalistic, that is when you insist that others obey them.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Apostle Paul tells us in the Body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 11:1

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is only one inviolable rule in ethics - only one rule with no plausible exceptions:

"If I feel certain that action A is evil, and B is good, I should opt for B"

I call it the rule of conscience but, since it never mentions "conscience", it is unsusceptible to any objections concerning "conscience".

Failure to acknowledge this rule keeps the church legalistic even today. That rule is the topic of Romans 14, 1Corinthians 8, and Romans 2:15.

I've debated this rule on several threads and never seen anyone manage to postulate even one single SPECIFIC REAL-LIFE SCENARIO that clearly calls for departure from this rule.

I've also demonstrated that the rule is the basis for divine Speech. When God wants you to do or believe something specific, He convicts (convinces) you. He causes you to feel certain about that belief or course of action. That's how you got saved!

HOWEVER, knowing the rule does not, in itself, empower you to follow it consistently. The sinful nature resists obedience to conscience. Your conscience needs to awaken to the fact that sanctification consists 100% of waiting on God in prayer and praise - to the extent that conscience permits - for outpourings/revivals that EMPOWER you to obey consistently. That's the whole point of Galatians 3 but, here too, the church has missed the boat.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wow, you really think that's all Jesus did was to obey the Law?

If you want to follow Christ, do what his actual followers did.
  • Walked with him daily.
  • Denied themselves.
  • Listened to his words/teachings. [For us, that's read the Bible]
  • Asked him questions.
  • Obeyed him. [He gave three commandments: "Love God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind."; "Love your neighbor as yourself."; "Love one another as I have loved you."]
  • As a church after his death - fulfilled the Great Commission. [For us, that's telling others and teaching others about Christ. The church baptizes and teaches also.]
Jesus said that obeying the two "greatest" commandments - the first two I listed - covered all the rest.

For example - if you love your neighbor, you won't steal from him, lie about him, harm him, or kill him.

If you love God with all your heart, etc..... - you won't blaspheme him, commit idolatry, or take his name with vain meaning.
I'll add to this since it was forgotten, if you love God with all your heart you will keep all His commandments, including His sabbath.

Keeping Gods perfect law is not legalistic. That's the devils way of twisting things. Can you imagine if everyone kept Gods law, how different this world would be? God saves us through grace but Jesus says John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments." Not as a punishment, but as the perfect way to live.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Teaching that you don't have to follow all the teachings of Christ is the failure of the church. This is the new way that love is acceptance. All the new testament applies today. We can't just pick what makes us feel good. Don't fall into that trap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually Jesus didn’t obey God’s commandment concerning the adulterous woman. According to God’s commandment in Leviticus she was supposed to be put to death.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll add to this since it was forgotten, if you love God with all your heart you will keep all his commandments, including His sabbath.

Keepings Gods perfect law is not legalistic. That's the devils way of twisting things. Can you imagine if everyone kept Gods laws, how different this world would be? God saves us through grace but Jesus says John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments." Not as a punishment, but as the perfect way to live.
Sorry, but the possibility of legalism is very real. For example suppose you goto church on Saturday in "obedience to law", leaving at home an ultra-sick or ultra-elderly family member or relative to fend for themselves, thus allowing them to suffer miserably, possibly even die.

Legalism is prioritizing the letter of the law (the face-value meaning of the words) over the spirit of the law (the underlying meaning and real purpose of the law) - which is love. Whenever those two meanings diverge in real life scenarios, adherence to the letter is actually disobedience to the law, because it culminates in unloving behavior.

Legalism is also the erroneous assumption that commands given to the people of the Bible necessarily obtain today. The spirit of the law (love) ALWAYS obtains. That is all.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Another thing to consider is the apostles abolished God’s commandment for the Gentiles living among the Jews to be circumcised in Acts 15.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but the possibility of legalism is very real. For example suppose you goto church on Saturday in "obedience to law", leaving at home an ultra-sick or ultra-elderly family member or relative to fend for themselves, thus allowing them to suffer miserably, possibly even die.

Legalism is prioritizing the letter of the law (the face-value meaning of the words) over the spirit of the law (the underlying meaning and real purpose of the law) - which is love. Whenever those two meanings diverge in real life scenarios, adherence to the letter is actually disobedience to the law, because it culminates in unloving behavior.

Yes I can see that in Christ’s message to the Pharisees about tithing and neglecting their parents when they were in need. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

These instances are referenced in the Bible and that's why some accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath to heal. If Jesus sinned there is no hope for any of us.

John 12 9-12
Healing on the Sabbath
9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue. 10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—that they might accuse Him.11 Then He said to them, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

The Sabbath is the one Commandment that starts with "Remember" the only one that references "holy" and the only one God "blessed".

Exodus 20 8-11 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Why is it so important? This is the one commandment that strengthens your relationship with God.

I Never Knew You
Mathew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

The sabbath (4th commandment) is a day we are supposed to put aside all the stresses of the world and and build our relationship with Christ. We do this by worshipping Him in fellowship, Bible studies, praying, and doing good on His day, which includes helping the sick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These instances are referenced in the Bible and that's why some accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath to heal. If Jesus sinned there is no hope for any of us.

John 12 9-12
Healing on the Sabbath
9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their synagogue. 10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—that they might accuse Him.11 Then He said to them, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

The Sabbath is the one Commandment that starts with "Remember" the only one that references "holy" and the only one God "blessed".

Exodus 20 8-11 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Why is it so important? This is the one commandment that strengthens your relationship with God.

I Never Knew You
Mathew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

The sabbath (4th commandment) is a day we are supposed to put aside all the stresses of the world and and build our relationship with Christ. We do this by worshipping Him in fellowship, Bible studies, praying, and doing good on His day, which includes helping the sick.

There was no commandment to worship on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There was no commandment to worship on the Sabbath.

It's the 4th commandment.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

John 12 9-12
Healing on the Sabbath

I Never Knew You
Mathew 7

The church decided it was acceptable to worship on Sunday.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's the 4th commandment.

The commandment is to rest and do no work. Not to worship.

Upvote 0