" We are Christians..."

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Some of my younger guitar students recently came to me and asked to play songs from the movie "Bibi und Tina" (German movie for kids - I haven´t watched it; just saw some of the music video clips, from which it appeared to be a typical harmless girlie movie - horses, friendship among girls, first encounters with having a crush on a boy etc.; no age limit).
The songs are quite ok, musically, and the kids have fun playing them. I´m always happy to find stuff that will reliably motivate them.

So yesterday I suggested to another 10yo girl student: "Wouldn´t you like to learn one of the songs from "Bibi und Tina?". There was a short happy glance in her eyes, but then she got very earnest and said: "Ummm, I´d love to, but you know, my parents...we are Christians, and we are not supposed to watch stuff like that." (I knew already they were Christians because we had done one or two worship songs before on her request, and, well, because pretty much everyone here is Christian anyway, just not fundy-style.)
Me "Oh, I didn´t know there was something particular un-Christian about this movie..."
Her: "There´s a witch in it, and that´s why we - as Christians - are not supposed to watch it."

I´m not trying to make a point here. I guess all parents have their ideologies and their ideas what to shelter their kids from.
It´s just that it somewhat saddened me to see this little girl finding herself under the obligation to justify something that she obviously wasn´t prepared to justify, and to see her so torn apart between my tempting offer and those restrictions that she herself didn´t even understand.

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People see Wikka and other things creeping into our society through media. Perhaps they fear that witches in movies are an attempt to desensitize their kids. Maybe they are right, maybe not. People also say that violence in TV can desensitize children to violence. IT may not be a conspiracy in the TV industry, necessarily, but it may still be harmful in ways that we dont see, I dont really know myself, i just thought i would share this thought about it.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of my younger guitar students recently came to me and asked to play songs from the movie "Bibi und Tina" (German movie for kids - I haven´t watched it; just saw some of the music video clips, from which it appeared to be a typical harmless girlie movie - horses, friendship among girls, first encounters with having a crush on a boy etc.; no age limit).
The songs are quite ok, musically, and the kids have fun playing them. I´m always happy to find stuff that will reliably motivate them.

So yesterday I suggested to another 10yo girl student: "Wouldn´t you like to learn one of the songs from "Bibi und Tina?". There was a short happy glance in her eyes, but then she got very earnest and said: "Ummm, I´d love to, but you know, my parents...we are Christians, and we are not supposed to watch stuff like that." (I knew already they were Christians because we had done one or two worship songs before on her request, and, well, because pretty much everyone here is Christian anyway, just not fundy-style.)
Me "Oh, I didn´t know there was something particular un-Christian about this movie..."
Her: "There´s a witch in it, and that´s why we - as Christians - are not supposed to watch it."

I´m not trying to make a point here. I guess all parents have their ideologies and their ideas what to shelter their kids from.
It´s just that it somewhat saddened me to see this little girl finding herself under the obligation to justify something that she obviously wasn´t prepared to justify, and to see her so torn apart between my tempting offer and those restrictions that she herself didn´t even understand.
You clearly have not thought this through. The Bible has a lot of warning against witchcraft. Now you are trying to say there is nothing wrong with witchcraft so you are contradicting the Bible. You call it: "typical harmless girlie". That is how you draw people into what is evil by making it look harmless. I just want to open your eyes to see what is going on here. It is like a lot of the food they try to sell us is not good for us at all, it is harmful. But they try to make it look good. This is a choice that our young people make and we believe they should have their eyes open and not be deceived into thinking that it is good to be a witch. This is not the sort of roll model we want for our kids.

Of course I know nothing about this program. I am just going my the fact that the character in this program is a witch. They want to sell us on the idea that it is ok to have a "mischievous streak" and to play "practical jokes". The difficult part is to get in there and try to explain why it is not ok. It is not enough for her parents to tell her witchcraft it wrong. They have to explain why it is wrong and exactly what their daughter needs to avoid. They should sit down and watch the program with her so they can explain it to her so she can show others what the problem and the deception is.

Most 12 year olds have a pretty good idea of what is going on. By the time they are 18 often they have been pretty well ruined by the media. Starting with things that seem "typical" and "harmless". Then they get drawn into things that are deeper and not so harmless. You walk down the road to destruction one step at a time.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People see Wikka and other things creeping into our society through media. Perhaps they fear that witches in movies are an attempt to desensitize their kids. Maybe they are right, maybe not. People also say that violence in TV can desensitize children to violence. IT may not be a conspiracy in the TV industry, necessarily, but it may still be harmful in ways that we dont see, I dont really know myself, i just thought i would share this thought about it.
Violence on TV can cause people to be depressed and they may not even know that is the cause.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Witches and Harry Potter are bad but Talking Vegetables are somehow OK?

There are no such thing as talking vegetables, but witches are apparently real. I was just adding an opinion, an observation. I have no debate, just an observation. People can make their own judgments. I just added my 2cents

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
There are no such thing as talking vegetables, but witches are apparently real. I was just adding an opinion, an observation. I have no debate, just an observation. People can make their own judgments. I just added my 2cents

Veggie Tales, Christian cartoon.

24qvot0.jpg

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
People see Wikka and other things creeping into our society through media. Perhaps they fear that witches in movies are an attempt to desensitize their kids.
And witches are a new thing in fiction...?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I have met “real witches” in the Military. Crystal daggers, crystal balls, cool velvet capes and cloaks, crystals and magic wands, and nothing more. None of the spells cast came remotely true. But if they feel good about themselves…

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have met “real witches” in the Military. Crystal daggers, crystal balls, cool velvet capes and cloaks, crystals and magic wands, and nothing more. None of the spells cast came remotely true. But if they feel good about themselves…

Im just saying that its understandable that people may not want their kids exposed to such things. Besides, it could be more dangerous than you know.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat

Unfortunately, there are some people who find something objectionable in everything. A cousin became a Jehovah's Witness. Her daughters were not permitted to watch movies like E.T., Star Wars, etc. because they had "magic" in them. NONE of the children stayed JWs after they grew up. My brother who became the fundamentalist nut-job will not allow his children to watch ANY TV. Guess what they do when they come visit me? Yup...in front of the boob tube.

Folks need to get over it and realize fiction is fiction.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, there are some people who find something objectionable in everything. A cousin became a Jehovah's Witness. Her daughters were not permitted to watch movies like E.T., Star Wars, etc. because they had "magic" in them. NONE of the children stayed JWs after they grew up. My brother who became the fundamentalist nut-job will not allow his children to watch ANY TV. Guess what they do when they come visit me? Yup...in front of the boob tube.

Folks need to get over it and realize fiction is fiction.

I had some Amish neighbors a few years ago and all the 9-10 year old girls would come over to my house to play with my daughter. They would say “Dana, let’s play dolls inside your house, and if your TV is on, you don’t have to turn it off.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟612,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I guess CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein are out....

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If parents don't want their kids watching a certain show or movie, that's their choice. I don't agree that there's anything wrong with a movie with witches in it, but I wouldn't step on another parent's toes over such an issue.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If parents don't want their kids watching a certain show or movie, that's their choice. I don't agree that there's anything wrong with a movie with witches in it, but I wouldn't step on another parent's toes over such an issue.

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein are out....

You guys dont see anything wrong with it perhaps, but i have people in my family who pray to false Gods, practice Wikka and cast spells. I dont much care what C.S Lewis says, or whoever wrote harry potter either. Thats not relevant to my opinion.

Upvote 0