America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They've been "linking" to science for quite a long time. They decided to speak up about it when certain a certain political party that has been highjacked by a scientific illiterate decided that political polices would be enacted that would exacerbate the damage being done to the planet.

Older conservatives might not care if they destroy the planet if it puts a little more gold in their pockets, but the young and those studying the planet, you know, scientists, might.
Yes those greedy old conservative overlords, smoking in the shadows and cackling and what not.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was expecting a scientific analysis of why his actions were wrong, rather than a political announcement.

Can you explain what that would entail? What would be a scientific analysis of the wrongness of any of Trump's actions involve?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain what that would entail? What would be a scientific analysis of the wrongness of any of Trump's actions involve?
For Scientific American article it would be a list of Trumps actions, and why they were scientifically wrong.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Do you mean self preservation is a reason for believing in conspiracy theories etc? I’m not sure if I get your meaning.

Are Christians really persecuted in the US? I’ve heard that from other people, but it doesn’t look like that from the outside.

Case in point: the closing of churches due to the virus.

The right of Freedom to Worship is in our national Constitution.
So is the Freedom of lawful assembly.

But our churches were closed and locked down this year, by order of the state Governors, in direct violation of those laws, and they are only open now to half of their capacity, again by order of the state governors.
Effectively that still means that the churches are still shut against half of their membership.

These actions were taken specifically against ALL Christians in direct disobedience to the established laws of the land. That is persecution.

Because of that action, our Bishop granted all Catholics under his jurisdiction, blanket pardon from attending mass. He had to do this, or he risked putting millions of Catholics in direct and willful violation of the accepted beliefs of our Church.

Receiving The Eucharist has also been changed. Now we are only offered the bread (no wine) and reception is only in the hand, and not on the tongue.

So yes, to this very day Christians ARE STILL PERSECUTED in the U.S.A, in direct disobedience of the Constitution that governs our land.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

But our churches were closed and locked down this year, by order of the state Governors, in direct violation of those laws, and they are only open now to half of their capacity, again by order of the state governors.
Effectively that still means that the churches are still shut against half of their membership.

These actions were taken specifically against ALL Christians in direct disobedience to the established laws of the land. That is persecution.

Because of that action, our Bishop granted all Catholics under his jurisdiction, blanket pardon from attending mass. He had to do this, or he risked putting millions of Catholics in direct and willful violation of the accepted beliefs of our Church.

Receiving The Eucharist has also been changed. Now we are only offered the bread (no wine) and reception is only in the hand, and not on the tongue.

So yes, to this very day Christians ARE STILL PERSECUTED in the U.S.A, in direct disobedience of the Constitution that governs our land.

I think this OT is beginning to get a bit far removed from Scientific American. While I do not directly contest what you said, in this context it is the SCIENTIFIC community who believes the SCIENCE favors social distancing. They are not trying to persecute anybody--they are merely following wherever the scientific trail may lead them.

Also, in my personal experience, I have not seen the 50% church capacity as limiting at all. I'm a regular at multiple churches (long story...), and I've got one church, they are still not open for live church services even though the city will allow them to. And the other church, they are at below 50% live attendance, because they livestream their services, and 3/4ths of the membership opts to remain virtual at home.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Scientific American article it would be a list of Trumps actions, and why they were scientifically wrong.

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean an explanation of why his comments about science related matters are incorrect? People have tried to correct Trump, but he just doubles down, claiming he knows more than anyone and that 'science' doesn't know, and other inane stuff like that. How can you argue with someone whose understanding of the world is fundamentally delusional? There are any number of experts Trump could consult but he prefers to go with his own random and poorly informed intuitions, which tend to conveniently coincide with the kind of empty rhetoric that gets him votes.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Yes. There are quite a few of us who support churches being filled to overflowing with devout believers.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That seems a rather convoluted interpretation of events. If your idea is valid, that would mean the whole nation (and pretty much the whole world) is being 'persecuted' through measures taken to control the spread of the virus.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't get what you mean. Do you mean an explanation of why his comments about science related matters are incorrect? People have tried to correct Trump, but he just doubles down, claiming he knows more than anyone and that 'science' doesn't know, and other inane stuff like that. How can you argue with someone whose understanding of the world is fundamentally delusional? There are any number of experts Trump could consult but he prefers to go with his own random and poorly informed intuitions, which tend to conveniently coincide with the kind of empty rhetoric that gets him votes.
This isn't about what Trump does. It's what I would want out of a scientific mag, which I used to subscribe too. I would want a list of actions Trump took, and why those were scientifically wrong actions.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I would want a list of actions Trump took, and why those were scientifically wrong actions.

What, like defying gravity or something?

Science doesn't deal with 'scientifically wrong actions'.

Science can demonstrate that if you drink bleach, you'll injure yourself. If you don't wear a mask, you're at a higher risk of infection. But there is no scientific wrong-o-meter for measuring actions.

Trump has certainly made scientifically incorrect statements. And we can draw a causal line between some his actions and inactions with respect to COVID-19, and the results in the US, which are among the worst in the world.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This isn't about what Trump does. It's what I would want out of a scientific mag, which I used to subscribe too. I would want a list of actions Trump took, and why those were scientifically wrong actions.
And THEN you’ll defend him anyway.
So why should any of us compile such a list?

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And THEN you’ll defend him anyway.
So why should any of us compile such a list?
I did know you were a prophet.

I'm not asking you to!!! DO you have any idea what you are talking about???? (Answer: No)

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Science can demonstrate that if you drink bleach, you'll injure yourself. If you don't wear a mask, you're at a higher risk of infection. But there is no scientific wrong-o-meter for measuring actions.
Good so you do know what a such a list might look like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Good so you do know what a such a list might look like.

"He was warned many times in January and February about the onrushing disease, yet he did not develop a national strategy to provide protective equipment, coronavirus testing or clear health guidelines."

Scientifically, if you do nothing for months, then things will be worse.

"Testing people for the virus, and tracing those they may have infected, is how countries in Europe and Asia have gained control over their outbreaks, saved lives, and successfully reopened businesses and schools. ... Trump opposed $25 billion for increased testing and tracing that was in a pandemic relief bill as late as July."

Scientifically, if you test and contact trace, then you can contain the virus. Conversely, if you do not, you have no such guarantee.

"if almost everyone in the U.S. wore masks in public, [then] it could save about 66,000 lives by the beginning of December, according to projections from the University of Washington School of Medicine. ... Trump has openly supported people who ignored governors in Michigan and California and elsewhere as they tried to impose social distancing and restrict public activities to control the virus."

It's all there, if you care to read it.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"He was warned many times in January and February about the onrushing disease, yet he did not develop a national strategy to provide protective equipment, coronavirus testing or clear health guidelines."

Scientifically, if you do nothing for months, then things will be worse.

"Testing people for the virus, and tracing those they may have infected, is how countries in Europe and Asia have gained control over their outbreaks, saved lives, and successfully reopened businesses and schools. ... Trump opposed $25 billion for increased testing and tracing that was in a pandemic relief bill as late as July."

Scientifically, if you test and contact trace, then you can contain the virus. Conversely, if you do not, you have no such guarantee.

"if almost everyone in the U.S. wore masks in public, [then] it could save about 66,000 lives by the beginning of December, according to projections from the University of Washington School of Medicine. ... Trump has openly supported people who ignored governors in Michigan and California and elsewhere as they tried to impose social distancing and restrict public activities to control the virus."

It's all there, if you care to read it.
I mean actually bringing it up in the article. Example Trump says x. This is why it's wrong. Not Trump says X, find link, insert link why it's wrong. I used to get the physical mag, I guess they are pure digital now.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I mean actually bringing it up in the article.

It did. "But Trump and his vice president flouted local mask rules, making it a point not to wear masks themselves in public appearances. Trump has openly supported people who ignored governors [on masks and other science-based pandemic responses]."

I used to get the physical mag, I guess they are pure digital now.

No, they're both. I get the print edition.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It did. "But Trump and his vice president flouted local mask rules, making it a point not to wear masks themselves in public appearances. Trump has openly supported people who ignored governors [on masks and other science-based pandemic responses]."

No, they're both. I get the print edition.
Right but in conjunction.

So much better in print.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I mean actually bringing it up in the article. Example Trump says x. This is why it's wrong. Not Trump says X, find link, insert link why it's wrong. I used to get the physical mag, I guess they are pure digital now.
Lookit them goalposts fly!

Upvote 0