Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In the public school system, I taught what was in the book - evolution. I taught it as what it is - a theory. I taught my students to think for themselves.

In Sunday School - I teach creationism. Not intelligent design. Old or young earth? I lean more towards a youngER earth. How young? I don't know. I don't have those facts. I do believe in a 6-day creation period, but the age of the earth in that context? The Bible doesn't address that.

I don't believe one's adherence to a young or old earth defines one's faith in God.

I believe in 6 days creation ( that is 24 hours a day and not thousand years = 1 day) .. correct me , to believe an old earth concept and still true to the scripture you have to believe Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 has a time gap ( Gap theory) right?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On planet EARTH--not the planet ALBION--Snopes said it did. It's on video.

Snopes is your idea of the ultimate in news reporting? That's rich.

But even so, Snopes quoted Donald Trump, Jr. in the article. I copied that quote into my previous post. So, it's not that Snopes misrepresented him so much as that YOU did.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
In the public school system, I taught what was in the book - evolution. I taught it as what it is - a theory. I taught my students to think for themselves.

In Sunday School - I teach creationism. Not intelligent design. Old or young earth? I lean more towards a youngER earth. How young? I don't know. I don't have those facts. I do believe in a 6-day creation period, but the age of the earth in that context? The Bible doesn't address that.

I don't believe one's adherence to a young or old earth defines one's faith in God.

If you are treating theory as merely a guess you aren’t teaching the book. A scientific theory is an explanation of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method. Not some scientists guess.

Did you treat germ theory of disease the same way and tell the students to think for themselves on whether microorganisms cause disease? Or were you selective on which theories to deride as mere guesses and which to hold up as rigorously tested and verifiable by the scientific method

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
True, but it does seem that conspiracy theories and the like thrive in right-wing Christian circles at least as much as in any other group there might be. I’m curious as to why that might be more than anything, I’m sure there are probably a number of reasons for it.
It's a matter of self preservation.
Christians are no strangers to persecution. So by degrees they have learned that in times like these, self-preservation is not just a great idea...it's a necessity.

• Haha
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Endorsements are almost always silly. Who bases their vote on an endorsement made by some organization or individual?
I agree with you on that, but look to the Biden campaign to get a string of endorsements like this one in the coming weeks.

Biden himself isn't exciting anyone and the last thing that the campaign wants to do is run on the extremist platform of the party.

Therefore, this idea--getting a bunch of organizations that can be passed off as knowledgeable, admirable, whatever, to endorse Biden and Harris and elevate them or vouch for them--is now beginning. Watch for it.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If Democrat, Independent and those who don’t want Trump to be re-elected show up to vote, Trump will be history along with Pence.. after inauguration in 2021 ( not sure when – this will be long and bitter process) , those who support Trump today will not even remember who he was. .. evangelical will go back to “Sanctity of Marriage “ , Neo-con like Marco Rubio will chant about National security .. and Trump will only be invited to speak at QAnon rally.
Not if they show up to vote and then have to wait in line for five hours. Not if they show up to vote and are harassed while waiting in line by armed Trump supporters. Not if they show up to vote only to discover their registration has been purged because they didn’t vote in the last three elections. I predict that the attempts at voter suppression will be off the charts.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's just follow the Dems states and shut down the entire country.

Maybe someone will come to our rescue when we lose everything we have worked for.
I live in a dem state and we’re not shut down. The two dem states adjacent to us aren’t shut down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

So you taught something and then went on to suggest that that what you taught isn't true. Great way of teaching science and motivating students to choose a science carreer themselves.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Endorsements are almost always silly. Who bases their vote on an endorsement made by some organization or individual?
A ton of voters use endorsements to help make voting decisions. Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t take the time to research candidates so they look to people and organizations they trust to see who those people are supporting. This is more true for local elections, where the media doesn’t cover candidates much.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a matter of self preservation.
Christians are no strangers to persecution. So by degrees they have learned that in times like these, self-preservation is not just a great idea...it's a necessity.

Do you mean self preservation is a reason for believing in conspiracy theories etc? I’m not sure if I get your meaning.

Are Christians really persecuted in the US? I’ve heard that from other people, but it doesn’t look like that from the outside.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have not seen you admit to any fault in Trump.
Our friend @Albion is a polemicist.
His niche is to defend “his side” come heck-or-high-water.
As such, he does a very good job.
If one recognizes that fact, then one can let him go about his tasks without trying to “change his mind”, (as if such a thing were a possibility!).

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So you taught something and then went on to suggest that that what you taught isn't true. Great way of teaching science and motivating students to choose a science carreer themselves.
One of the reasons that so many of the scientists (and engineers and doctors) working in the US weren't actually educated in the US.

Sort of hard to have a career in science if you don't actually accept the science.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the public school system, I taught what was in the book - evolution. I taught it as what it is - a theory. I taught my students to think for themselves.....
Just so long as you taught it was the theory that best explains the evidence, then its all good.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Don't see that SA will move the needle one bit in regard to who they endorse. If they're all bent out of shape because of Trump's environment ideas it's already baked in the cake to whom they could influence by their endorsement. Everybody already knows what Trump would do with the environmental file Paris Accord and they've known it for years.

The endorsements I think that are really influential are the Police Unions which all across the country they're standing with Trump. Having peace and safety is so very important for people and when the Dems say they likewise support law and order the people will look to the Police....what are they saying.....who do they say feel can best assure stability can once again be realized. We know what their answer is....TRUMP.

• Winner
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are treating theory as merely a guess you aren’t teaching the book. A scientific theory is an explanation of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method. Not some scientists guess.

Did you treat germ theory of disease the same way and tell the students to think for themselves on whether microorganisms cause disease? Or were you selective on which theories to deride as mere guesses and which to hold up as rigorously tested and verifiable by the scientific method

Who said that I taught theory as a guess??? I didn't.

I'm bowing out here. Some of you have made up your mind about who I am as a Christian and as a teacher of science.

And Donald Trump, Jr. wasn't speaking to all teachers in general. Read the actual quote.

Good day.

Upvote 0