✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Opinion | We’re All Fascists Now

But it is also a concerted attempt to significantly redraw the bounds of acceptable thought and speech. By tossing people like Mary Beard and Christina Hoff Sommers into the slop bucket with the likes of Richard Spencer, they are attempting to place their reasonable ideas firmly outside the mainstream. They are trying to make criticism of identity politics, radical Islam and third-wave feminism, among various other subjects, verboten. For even the most minor transgressions, as in the case of Professor Beard, people are turned radioactive.

There are consequences to all this “fascism” — and not just the reputational damage to those who are smeared, though there is surely that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brinny

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Professor Beard"!?
Why not? Maybe they are related to James Beard, the baker. His most famous book:

9780345295507-us-300.jpg

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I largely agree with the article in that discourse seems to be getting more and more polarized - seeming by the hour at times. However, I think the premise that its coming from more than just a (very vocal) fringe group - on either side, really - is perhaps a bit disingenuous. Much as many on the right would say that the most extreme members of the Tea Party perhaps go too far, I would venture to say that many of my fellow "leftists" would agree that the most extreme members of our side of the political spectrum can also be overzealous at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bio-Luminescent Billy

Mar 8, 2018
Michigan
✟2,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem becomes now that fascism has been neutered of all meaning, people are starting to gravitate more towards it in some self fulfilling prophecy.

I think this can be nipped in the bud by reminding them that one can be staunchly nationalist without being a fascist.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The problem becomes now that fascism has been neutered of all meaning, people are starting to gravitate more towards it in some self fulfilling prophecy.

I think this can be nipped in the bud by reminding them that one can be staunchly nationalist without being a fascist.

In fairness, nobody seems to remember what fascism means anymore anyway. This isn't a new development.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Mary Beard. What.

Literally what has Mary Beard done to merit being called alt right.

In terms of socjus impact, she's like the Anita Sarkeesian of classical studies. A few moments "help help I'm getting mean tweets because I'm a wahman" every now and again. Unlike Sarkeesian though she is a sound academic.

Upvote 0