Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All
Media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC have a negative impact on people's current events knowledge while NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative sources of news, according to Fairleigh Dickinson University's newest PublicMind survey.

Researchers asked 1,185 random nationwide respondents what news sources they had consumed in the past week and then asked them questions about events in the U.S. and abroad.

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back when I was getting my Masters Degree, most of my courses were about how to conduct research. There are all kinds of ways to manipulate the research to give the kind of results you want.
One of the best ways is manipulate the way a question is asked.

So if you have a research survey about Abortion and you want to results to come out in favor of Abortion you might ask a question like "Do you think woman should die in back alley abortion clinics like they did before Roe v wade? So now you have research that says that 90% of the country support Abortion rights and Roe v Wade.

Also another way to manipulate the data is to throw out Questioners who did not answer the way you wanted them to.

I have know doubt that this was rigged research.

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Your bias left MSNBC out of that title. I'd say you're no different than either outlet in that you have an agenda.

Nice predictable whataboutism, but the problem is MSNBC viewers did not score lower than those who watched no news at all. That was only Fox viewers.
Fox vs MSNBC.jpg

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
@SummerMadness I'd just point out this survey was conducted in 2012 so it's not quite News or Current Events. Probably would fit in well in Politics though.
Oops, my bad. I was reading a news story and it was a prominent related link, didn't look at the date. Time for the kitchen sink. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Since this story is old hat, here is another story, more recent, but still old.

A Rigorous Scientific Look Into The 'Fox News Effect'
In 2012, a Fairleigh Dickinson University survey reported that Fox News viewers were less informed about current events than people who didn't follow the news at all. The survey had asked current events questions like "Which party has the most seats in the House of Representatives?" and also asked what source of news people followed. The Fox viewers' current events scores were in the basement. This finding was immediately trumpeted by the liberal media—by Fox, not so much—and has since become known as the Fox News effect. It conjures the image of Fox News as a black hole that sucks facts out of viewers' heads.

NPR and Last Week Tonight are at the top of the informed list. The upside, Fox News viewers no longer lag behind people that do not watch the news, but they lag behind users/viewers in every other form of media.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Back when I was getting my Masters Degree, most of my courses were about how to conduct research. There are all kinds of ways to manipulate the research to give the kind of results you want.
One of the best ways is manipulate the way a question is asked.

So if you have a research survey about Abortion and you want to results to come out in favor of Abortion you might ask a question like "Do you think woman should die in back alley abortion clinics like they did before Roe v wade? So now you have research that says that 90% of the country support Abortion rights and Roe v Wade.

Also another way to manipulate the data is to throw out Questioners who did not answer the way you wanted them to.

I have know doubt that this was rigged research.
I had to learn about this my freshman year in psychology, the same time we were taught about the old "9 out of 10 dentists recommend X" trope. You get to pick which 10 of the dentists you asked to represent when making that claim (and hope no one asks about it).

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The study showed that the effects of ideologically-pitched media, like Fox News, MSNBC and talk radio, depend on who is listening or watching. On the whole, MSNBC, for instance, had no impact on political knowledge one way or the other. However, liberals who watched MSNBC did better on the knowledge questions, answering correctly 1.89 of the domestic questions and 1.64 of the international questions correctly. Similarly, while moderates and liberals who watch Fox News do worse at answering the questions than others, conservatives who watch Fox do no worse than people who watch no news at all. Talk radio also had differential effects depending on the ideology of the listener, but they were much smaller. None of the other news media had effects that depended on ideology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All so-called news is just entertainment and has little real value. All media sources manipulate the news and thus their listeners and viewers. This includes 'public media' which really pounds their bleeding heart liberal messages home.

I prefer Fox as they have the 'foxiest' personnel of any media network (including even my local Fox affiliate).

Last edited:
Upvote 0