Waroona -Perth
✟15,204.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A bit of rambling, so I apologize in advance.

My wife and I have been talking lately about how difficult it is to watch our adult son go skipping merrily toward disaster and we are powerless to do a thing about it. When he was small, we had authority over him. We don't have that now, and have been reduced to the position of offering advice to a 20-year-old who is still young enough to think he knows everything.

My wife and I were reminded of how powerless we are to protect our kid from harm when he called the other day and announced he is coming home for a few days next month to ask his high school girlfriend to marry him (he is in the Navy and is coming home on leave). I'll not go into too much detail, but my wife and I have disliked the girl since the day she was introduced to us. I'm a lawyer who sees divorce in the cards for my kid if he marries that girl, whereas my wife views the girl as a spoiled brat and dingbat who is primarily looking for someone to support her while she does next to nothing.

At any rate, I am curious as to how people with adult children deal with the heartache of being able to do absolutely nothing as their kids make terrible decisions that will result in misery. I know we're supposed to be able to let go and let our kids find their own ways in the world, but that is easier said than done.
You are so right. My parents begged me not to marry my first wife. That just strengthened my resolve to marry her.

Upvote 0

Brian Sutton

Apr 28, 2017
Waroona -Perth
✟15,204.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Our eldest Son aged 55 has had three marriages, my wife warned him each time not to marry, especially the first and second ones. He always picks women (Christians) who have extra baggage , mainly controlling ones.
Once again he has a beautiful part Asian wife, who has to control and lead the Past 8 years of their marriage. I call it Jezebel. Maybe, he is an Ahab & will not accept or agree with us (his Mum & Dad)that it is time to divorce her. But he is adamant that no matter what ,as he now lives with us at our home she is somewhere else, (running a females refuge) that he cannot divorce her unless for adultery.
He has been to Christian counsellors many times, but she refuses to do that, only on her terms without him. God has given him dreams lately (one is )of a bunch of spring onions turned upside down with the roots showing???? It has gotten us down a s Christians now.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting dream by the way. Onion is one of the vegetables that contain collageen, and sulfur, the collagen can be used in beauty products. When I grew springonions my hands got really smooth. Maybe Jezebel has been uprooted and put upside down. If the woman indeed has that problem It is sad. Does she need to go and find her roots to find peace? If a person feels insecure they can start to control everything. She is uprooted and put upside down in another country. Maybe She or they both need to find her roots in Asia so she finally finds herself and her identity. It was just a thought, I am not sure at all if it is any truth in it. I have myself been abroad for five years in my youth and did miss the birches the light summernights and the 80 celsius degree hot sauna the snow so lost roots and turned upside down I understand, but I have been given clear rules so I have not felt need of controlling unnecessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I don't have kids yet with my wife, at least your noticing whats wrong with your kids and worried. My mother didn't notice my changes and I wish she would have so I could avoid the mistakes I made. But with my kids I think, as your stating, the hard part is when they become adults and you can't really do anything as the go down a path you see is not good. In my case I've started saying "I told you so!" when people don't listen and after they get the end of the bad path they complain about "If only I knew!".

I want to help people, even my own future kids, but I can only lead a horse to the water. I can't make it drink. Which is what my dad always told me about my troubles.

The last part of your post nailed it -- we can advise, pray and try to persuade, but we can't force our will on our kids anymore. We can only hope that we raised them right and trust that God is in control. That "God is in control" sounds great, but it is really, really hard to trust that to be true in situations such as these. Perhaps, then, this is a learning experience for me, too...

Upvote 0

HawgWyld

May 3, 2013
Benton, Ark.
Visit site
✟21,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nowadays oldfolks too have to behave themself on the internet. Because the young ones can read. When and if the slander is out and known perhaps the young couple decide not to invite the ones that talk bad about them. They already think bad about them. Some marry secretly. They might recognize themself in the thread if they are out and about. I suspect no lies will clean that up. You have done your warning bit and that is all You can do. Now all You can do is pray and be nice. There are probably worse girls out there and is it not better that He marries someone He loves than someone You love. If He has loved her since highschool there is at least something to it. But maybe He should wait a while, well perhaps she does not want to wait and someone coming home from the navy does perhaps not want to wait every time He comes home from navy. I believe sometimes the choices people make are more right than people believe. My grandfather married right before He went to war to atleast have one offspring, but He did survive and had more. You see sometimes family back home is what keeps soldiers careful and alive.

Yes, my wife has told me "be nice ... or else!"

We've warned him and it's up to him to either listen or not.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One way that can perhaps get the Young couple to solve some finansials is the usual debate. Women spend more money on make up and beauty products and clothes than men are aware of or even dream of. So to settle that before marriage. Ask the bride to calculate how much in reality her look costs to maintain and her future plan to stay fit and how she plan to tackle the years. Is she excersizing. Is she going under the knife or is she going to use expensive antiwrinkle creams. How vain is she? It could change of course. But the sum and the plan could give her future husband and herself a hint that She too has to educate herself and try to get a job. Maybe she has low selfesteem and that has held her back. It does not always show on the outside. With parents splitting up it does take a toll on the kids. In all things in life bad can turn into better and very often parents in law don't get along at first. And remember immature young people grow if they are nurtured right. I believe this girl can grow too given a chance, but as we grow we fall many times along the way. That is part of life. If they split up, well...then that is another heartbreak. But You have done Your warning. God bless You all. In this christian world I have seen too often parents unhappy with their kids choice, if they marry it is bad, if they do not marry it is worse. So either way the parents complain.

Upvote 0

Pappy&Me

Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
Jax.Fl.
✟30,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A bit of rambling, so I apologize in advance.

My wife and I have been talking lately about how difficult it is to watch our adult son go skipping merrily toward disaster and we are powerless to do a thing about it. When he was small, we had authority over him. We don't have that now, and have been reduced to the position of offering advice to a 20-year-old who is still young enough to think he knows everything.

My wife and I were reminded of how powerless we are to protect our kid from harm when he called the other day and announced he is coming home for a few days next month to ask his high school girlfriend to marry him (he is in the Navy and is coming home on leave). I'll not go into too much detail, but my wife and I have disliked the girl since the day she was introduced to us. I'm a lawyer who sees divorce in the cards for my kid if he marries that girl, whereas my wife views the girl as a spoiled brat and dingbat who is primarily looking for someone to support her while she does next to nothing.

At any rate, I am curious as to how people with adult children deal with the heartache of being able to do absolutely nothing as their kids make terrible decisions that will result in misery. I know we're supposed to be able to let go and let our kids find their own ways in the world, but that is easier said than done.

It could be a WHOLE lot worse than having a spoiled brat for a DIL. If she is not on drugs or alcohol maybe be nice and give her a chance since you don't have and shouldn't really have a choice in the matter. I have been where you are and I never accomplished anything but anger and visits to me.

Upvote 0

KimmyWimmy

Jul 27, 2017
Maroochydore
✟7,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Part of growing up is being able to make decisions for yourself and accepting the consequences that inevitably come our way.
When my kids were teenagers I let them make some decisions that I didn't like. But I certainly did my best not to enable them to achieve their outcomes when I was against what they were doing. I never sabotaged their plans however I did everything I could to make it difficult for them. Rightly or wrongly. I wasn't about to help facilitate my teenagers making lousy choices.
In the end, whatever will happen will happen. You could try spending quality time with your son doing something he really enjoys and make an attempt to let him know how you feel. But that is all you can do. Then just pray that he will make a good choice. And it has to be his choice otherwise he will resent you down the track.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums